Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Ski Jacket should I buy

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks, @Old Fartbag. Will look for more and will consider cheaper options.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GizmoOne wrote:
Thanks, @Old Fartbag. Will look for more and will consider cheaper options.

There are some nice looking Volkl and Peak Performance on TK Maxx at the moment.

https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/women/activewear/snow+ski/c/01030200/?q=%3Abrand-name-asc%3AstockLevelStatus%3AinStock%3Astyle%3ASki%20Jackets%3A&page=1
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mrs ski3 has an arteryrx shell jacket bought about 12 years ago.

It's been skiing every year and used for anything else in between, never anything wrong with it, still waterproof and just keeps going.

Couldn't recommend it more if that's what you want.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow, now I am confused - should I choose the expensive one for "a lifetime" or a cheap one for starters Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi @GizmoOne, & welcome to the forum.

My daughter loves her plum coloured Arciterx Jacket, but I think its a brand thing, she lives in Zurich so can't go to the school playground in cheapo jacket.

It is a top brand, I think Canadian.

My wife likes her Spyder Jacket (thats the latest)
We have a loft full of boxes of old ski gear we have accumulated over the years, its great to get it out now and again for dressing up sessions. My favourite is a 1980's Nevica smock in all the brightest colours you can think of.

We have a lot of stuff ... I'm fond of wearing the brightest retro now and again.

At the moment the vogue seems to be "shell jackets", but I prefer a warm jacket that I can fall asleep in.

A couple of seasons ago on the EoSB in Val Thorens, there was a party for all the chalet staff and ski bums .. the theme was retro ski gear.

I spoke to this young lady wearing a one piece and said "My wife has one like that, is it your mothers?"
No the pretty young lady replied "Non... Its my grandmothers"
Blush
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haha, just looked up "1980's Nevica smock" - funny as hell. I would love to put it on Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GizmoOne wrote:
Wow, now I am confused - should I choose the expensive one for "a lifetime" or a cheap one for starters Puzzled

Without wishing to get personal... are you loaded?

Reading that write up I smell quite a lot of BS. I don't get why you need "3 layers of Gore-Tex". I thought Gore-tex was the dogs doodars. If so, why do you need three lots of it? And then "A living material is also integrated in the jacket"... what have then done ripped the skin of a living pig and sown it in? Nah for me nothing justifies that sort of price tag.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 15-11-17 0:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GizmoOne wrote:

IMO. Neither

My suggestion is to get a discounted, but good brand.

The likes of Peak Performance are very decent.

Cheap, but worthy, would be brands like of Trespass, Surfanic and Dare2B
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GizmoOne, if I was you, I would be asking around to see if any of my friends had an old jacket I could borrow for the week. Maybe even think about renting one? Just to make sure that skiing is for you before you shell wink out on one.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Borrowing or buying cheap the best and most sensible route for a first ski trip.

Wasted a shed load on my wife's brief forays onto the snow.

For my first trip in 86 I recollect borrowing my brother's knee length climbing salopettes and velcro'd some gaiters on to cover my shins and boots. They were made of a material that felt it had many living things in a layer merrily nipping my skin.

A breathable walking jacket with some good layers would suffice too! Why buy an expensive padded anorak you will not use again. Saying that I have a very expensive soft shell jacket that I imported from the states after reading an article like quoted by the OP Blush
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hawkesbaynz wrote:
For my first trip in 86 I recollect borrowing my brother's knee length climbing salopettes and velcro'd some gaiters on to cover my shins and boots. They were made of a material that felt it had many living things in a layer merrily nipping my skin.

91 for me. C&A jacket, pair of walking trousers, sweatshirt.
As witnessed here:
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are you in the UK @GizmoOne? I think Old Fartbag's advice of a big discount on a good brand makes sense, but how to do that depends on where you are.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always recommend people taking a look at Westbeach - particularly their sales items where you can pick up some good quality gear for up to 70% off direct from the vendor. Their stuff is good - i've had their gear hold together for years, the waterproofing and breathability is good and hardwearing.

https://westbeach.com/collections/sale
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
im a fan of Planks stuff.
planks clothing

Love the bib trousers as they have zips the full length of the leg, so really easy to get off.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 15-11-17 17:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I always recommend people taking a look at Westbeach - particularly their sales items where you can pick up some good quality gear for up to 70% off direct from the vendor. Their stuff is good - i've had their gear hold together for years, the waterproofing and breathability is good and hardwearing.

I got a westbeach jacket
1st issue the belly buttons broke
2nd issue it kept nothing out. soaked through every single day.
latest report
@GizmoOne, it is hard to go wrong with arcteryx
ski holidays
Quote:

@GizmoOne, it is hard to go wrong with arcteryx

Yep. You don't need to spend that much. But if the price doesn't put you off then I'm sure you will be happy with the jacket.
ski holidays
The example I gave was bought in a sale at snow and R, more by luck than judgment as it was just right size colour etc and didn't set out to specifically by Arcteryx.

But happy accidents and all that, it's just very impressive in how it's lasted and appears to meet any claims you could make for it. It literally goes everywhere with her on outside trips as well as skiing. In short it just works, no questions.
Sometimes you come across things that are just right, pleasure to own.

This season she's was wondering what to get if it needed to be replaced, so casually tried a few. We can see what the others are saying about cost now Shocked

http://www.exxpozed.com/norrona-w-roldal-gore-tex-primaloft-jacket.html?s=553687&currency=GBP&pup_e=1&pup_cid=6281&pup_id=15B-2991000708741&gclid=CNml_fKYk9MCFQe4GwodGsgKwg
Great cut, materials and good length.

This one stood out as immaculately made and similar, couldn't get it in any sales so the Arcteryx goes round again into it's next season.

Guess only the OP can make the decision regarding cost.
latest report
If money was not a concern I would by a high perfomance one first time but given I’m not yet there, got a decathlon “high spec” last winter for 89 quid can’t complain about it. Does the job but I haven’t tried in really bad weather yet.
snow report
Arcteryx is very good stuff as I can vouch having had a pair of saloppettes that are like new after around 10 years , but I had to stop using them last season as a Mojo was a bit tight underneath them. If you want good quality but relatively cheap some of the Decathlon stuff is excellent (some is just cheap), but their mountaineering range is generally good, something like this: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-mountain-light-jacket-id_8386965.html or this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-mens-jacket-orange-id_8304317.html

Edit just re read the updated post and realise it's a womans jacket that is wanted , decathlon do the equivalent in womens as well.
ski holidays

Cool Retro
At the Folie Duce closing party April 2015
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:

I personally would avoid westbeach as my experience (three jackets two of which were free as staff ones) my 10k/10k shell leaked like a sieve, my classics series jacket (free as I was working for Wasteland) also leaked but at least unlike the others the zips didn't break... Then again they are a million times better than the Tresspass staff jacket I had...

I've used Rab and Montane stuff when its been my own money and its been a far better investment.
snow conditions
Weird - the WB gear we've had has never missed a beat.
snow report
I'm pretty hard on my gear but I wouldn't ever spend my money on Westbeach again. My Rab shell is older (and cost less in the sale) and has been in daily use for about 3 years ontop of skiing and still isn't showing its age. My Westbeach one is relegated for working on the car outside as since its black I can't see the oil stains on it...
ski holidays
It's the way of cheap clothing; the measures to remove the variability in the manufacturing process are not as stringent and so the probability of getting something inferior increases. It doesn't mean that all XXXX gear is inferior.

I bought a couple of cycling tops from Dare2B at the same time and same price point; one has fallen apart, the other is fine. Given what a ski jacket is for as opposed to a cycling jersey, I'd err towards quality processes over features and materials, and go for the lower end of a quality manufacturer.
latest report
Was in Decathlon and must say the clothing looks pretty good and great value. Saying that went to the SportsPursuit site and bought a £209 pair of Goretex bibbed ski pants. Why do I read these threads Embarassed
snow report
@endoman, you got give credit for searching first before posting
snow report
Its a link builder look for clicks, Admin should remove the link as they are trying to build rank for their site (I work in SEO and we see this all the time).

Its down to snowheads being an old domain which Google trusts a touch more.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When using my mono, I would go for the "I'm just Rigolo".

Different times ....
ski holidays
extremerob wrote:
@endoman, you got give credit for searching first before posting

Indeed, a valiant effort.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy