Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waxing / Tuning benches - any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Folks

I’d appreciate your thoughts on waxing & ski tuning workbenches

I’m presently using the ole Black & Decker Workmate approach which whilst does the job, is not great. I’m a bit pushed for space and as much as I’d like to build a dedicated (static) workbench, I’m going to have to go down the portable (collapsible) route

Having looked about on the Net I see that the likes of Swix and Holmenkol make portable benches but they are in the region £100-200, which is a bit pricey. In particular, the Holmenkol one is really nice, but over £200!

I’ve searched SN’s and people have suggested using trestles that are used by the likes of builders and carpenters which retail at a fraction of the price of dedicated ski benches

I’d welcome the thoughts of people that have used the trestle approach (or any other portable method): –

- Are they man enough for the job?
- Stable enough?
- Wide enough? – may be you place a couple side by side
- Can ski vices be attached without too much grief?

Are there any downsides of going down this alternative route as opposed to buying a purpose built ski bench? – I see that a number of the ski benches have feet that can be adjusted for uneven ground – worthwhile, or do I just need to pocket a few beer mats the next time I’m at the local? Madeye-Smiley

Thanks a bunch!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Build yourself a collapsible one? Old door on hinges, with 2 sturdy legs at the front that you can remove and fold the "door" flat to the wall???
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got a portable bench which I bought in Bartletts:

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sleipnir, I use & sell the Kunnzman portable bench which is a superb product & way better than other proprietary brands. It's full metal chassis makes it extremely stable (scraping requires a lot of pressure) & has individually height adjustable legs as you don't want the bench wobbling etc. The only downside is that it's £139 collected but I've sold a good few to racers who need to take a bench to events.

I've tried a number of DIY type trestles & not been able to get the stability I wanted but there are loads of options on the market to try.

My suggestion if you're tight on floor space but have a bit of wall space would be a piece of kitchen worktop hinged to the wall so that it folds down with a couple of B&Q's quick release legs to support the front edge. My mate did that all in for about £20.
EDIT: As per Greg's solution.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sleipnir, I use one of these sealey adjustable leg trestles and find it to be absolutely brilliant Very Happy . Like you I have a space issue and also like to take it with me to all the dry slope races over the summer so a folding one was essential. Couldn't afford to buy a "proper" ski bench so after a bit of searching got this instead. Stability is great, legs are adjustable so it copes really well at races where often we aren't on a flat area. I've had mine for over a year now, it's been all over the country in all weathers and just copes with anything. To directly answer your questions
- Are they man enough for the job? yup
- Stable enough? absolutely
- Wide enough? – may be you place a couple side by side - much wider than the collapsible ones from bartletts etc so yes
- Can ski vices be attached without too much grief? easy-peesy

And it cost less than £30 including delivery.
I reccommend it Very Happy
Hope this helps Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Looking at that picture it looks like you took the bench on holiday with you!

Is this right?

If so, that is dedication bordering on the extreme!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jumping Jack Flash, not quite Smile I have an apartment in France and that day I set up the bench on the balcony because it was raining and it was a good opportunity to catch up on some ski servicing. I have taken the bench and my service kit with me, but only on a ski course when the skis needed sharpening every day or two. The legs of the bench are removable and clip onto the body, and the whole thing fits inside a ski bag along with a pair of skis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
vivski, Thanks for the pointer to the Sealy trestles - they look promising and I might order a set, rather than the more convential work bench I'd been eyeing.

Have been looking for a workbench/vise set-up myself, but the dedicated tools tend to be expensive. Does anyone have any good pointers for good ski vices (that take wide skis as well)? snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
vivski, those Sealey trestles look very good.

skibomb, I can recommend a number of vice options. How wide underfoot are the skis you'll be tuning & how often will you be tuning them?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi spyderjon. Skis ranging from 84 to 105 mm, so at the fatter range of the scale I suppose. Have no plans currently to go beyond 108 mm Very Happy

I tend to tune my skis at least once before, during and after the season. Trying to make the quivver smaller, but at 8 pairs of skis, that's still some regularly waxing etc snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skibomb, for that many differing spec skis avoid vices that require a dummy boot or require the ski to be screw clamped in to the outrigger vices when doing edge work as it'll be a real pain to have to re-adjust the vices each time you change skis. I'd recommend the Jaws of Beast vices as their height adjustable 'finger' outriggers make them really fast to use with different skis as you just slot the ski in to the fingers & when the ski's clamped in the centre vice it uses the skis flex to lock the tip & tail. The height adjustable outriggers also allow you to correctly tension the tip & tail when the ski's clamped flat for brushing & scraping.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sleipnir, If you are not taking the kit with you, you can mount any ski vice on a plank of wood, and then a bit of 2 by 2 mounted underneath the plank which will fix into the jaws of your workmate. I have the "jaws of the Beast" from spyderjon (see above...)- which work well and with a bit of drilling mount directly on to a plank and therefore no fiddling with G clamps

skibomb, my vice takes 1080s and Atomic crimsons well. I am probably doing it wrong but I tend to use the centre clamp clamped to the binding, so ski width isn't an issue
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the tips. Those beasts really look like beast!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skibomb, i got a pair of Beasties from jon and one cool thing is that they are a heavy duty type of plastic that dont rust and are light enough to take along on trips while being very rigid and strong

vivski, Top Tip!!! just ordered a set.

rob@rar, nice tool kit, can there be anything ski tuning related you dont own wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
glad to be of help Very Happy I knew I must be useful for something...... Little Angel
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, nice tool kit, can there be anything ski tuning related you dont own wink

A ski serviceman. One day...
ski holidays
Quote:

A ski serviceman. One day...

surely there has gotta be a 5 day course somewhere for that. Now that you have all the gear how can you pass on the opporturnity to rock up with a yellow Toko box full of everything..
snow report
Sleipnir, like you I use a work mate but have knocked up a 'tuning bench' to go with it. This consists of a 6' length of plastic coated mdf (easy to scrape wax off) about 3/4' thick, 6" wide a la shelving from B&Q etc. bolted to a piece of 4" x 2" timber which is then mounted in the work mate with ski vices clamped.

Very stable and can be collapsed for easy storage when not in use. Also another thumbs up for the 'Jaws...' vices - good kit and very easy to adjust for various skis.
snow report
Not Sealey, but just picked up brennenstuhl folding metal trestle from machine mart which looks similar to the sealey and feels reasonably stable. I'll update when I have used it a few times, but so far it looks good. It folds down for easy storage and cost only £21.14 with VAT.
snow report
Here is my version,
http://chris-cbphotography.blogspot.com/2011/01/diy-ski-tuning-bench-and-vises-1.html
it folds up, catches almost all the wax scrapings and metal filings and cost less to build than just buying a set of vises. I have a truck, so I can take it with me on the road to my kids ski races. I am currently working on the next version with built in "drink" holder.
snow report
I didn't read through the thread, but I've got on fine for a few seasons now on two clamps that have rubber on the top and a notch in the middle to put the ski on it's side. Didn't pay much for it, does the job fine for edging and waxing - though if I forget to put the clamps far enough apart I sometimes lever a ski off one side and have a tip or tail crash into the table...
snow report
I use Workmate with long piece of 3/4in ply clamped on top. My Centre ski vice is a reclaimed Record woodworking vice (carboot sale) with wooden cheeks and leather padding and the two outer rests cut from 3/4in ply and clamped. Funnily enough they look just like the Beast ones on spyderjon's website. It has to come apart to be stored in the cave. Sturdy but the shortish length of Workmate needs a bit of care on tips and tails.
ski holidays
Well I finally finished version 2 of my ski tuning table and am very pleased. It folds in half when not in use, is still very stable and can hold two skis at a time, it catches 95% of the filings/scrapings and only cost as much as a good single ski vise set. If you are interested check it out here http://chris-cbphotography.blogspot.com/
The new version has a built in light stand and power outlet as well. Happy tuning and have a good season
snow conditions
The best table Ive ever used is a Holmenkol. It's sold as a rock and built to last. It's the only thing I've found good for my snowboard as well. Hands down they're the best. I've even saw a complete kit on ebay just yesterday.
ski holidays
vivski, hi, how do I purchase one off you? Rich Smile
snow report
rbailey1, welcome to Snowheads the link is still working save you scroling up http://www.tooled-up.com/product/sealey-trestle-adjustable-leg/138832/
ski holidays
Resurrecting an old thread.

For those who have used the trestles from Tooled-Up; do you clamp the ski vice directly to the trestle?
snow report
I clamp a length of wood to the trestle to add a bit of extra length and then fix the vice and outriggers in place.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Similar and half the price!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-783160-Metal-Horse-100kg/dp/B000T9XTDC/ref=pd_sim_diy_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=12QD580PSGSNP8N9NNAP&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
My setup:

I was thinking about one of the foldaway benches, but as we're moving, I don't know what we'll end up with, may have a permanent ski bench!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy