Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss resorts (x2)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having been convinced that I will cope with transport INSIDE yer average Swiss resort, I'll be flying into either Geneva or Zurich & using Swiss rail to transport me TO resort. Haven't decided which resort yet.

Any problems with getting to resort via Swiss trains?

I know about pre-booking from the UK, and how to access the timetable.

But for example are there any Swiss resorts that aren't easily accessed/at all by train? Can I rely on trains running from resort back to the airport at stupidly early times in the morning/late in the evening (e.g. to catch a Saturday 8am flight)?? Etc, ad nauseum....

Feel free to post links to previous snowhead threads if they apply.

Many thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No problems by the trains. Those resorts that don't have direct rail links will have Post Bus links. When we went to Laax earlier this year, the change between the train and bus was ridiculously easy.

Very early trains do run, but you'll need to look into specifics I reckon as only some trains run all night.

However, you could easily get to Zurich or Geneva straight from the slopes on the last day and stay in a hotel there for the last night. We did that in Zurich when we went to Laax. It's possible to have a decent night out in either and still make the very early flight the next day. Both airports are ten mins from the city centre - Geneva by train or bus and Zurich by train (there are buses but they take longer). I can recommend hotels and places in Zurich if you go that route.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Manda, have a look at the Swiss Rail website for train times - http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm
Most resorts are very easy to get to. As skanky said, changing between train and bus is dead easy; the connections are generally well co-ordinated and you can buy a single ticket that covers the entire journey.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
johno, good ppint about the single ticket. I'd forgotten that bit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Manda, the best deal is often a standard 'transfer ticket' (return) which gets you from the airport to any resort and back at a standard price. You can buy it from Swiss Railways in London. They have an office just by Leicester Square.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also, I forgot to mention that many Swiss train stations have the facility whereby you can check in your luggage for your flight home at the station, saving you the trouble of having to haul them all the way to the airport yourself. I think this service is only available if you're flying with certain airlines though - maybe check with Swiss Railways for the details.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Generally I have no problem using Swiss rail and it does exactly what it says on the tin. They typically run late and start early. Contenental rail travel is on another planet compared to BR and the Swiss version is as good as it gets although some of the mountain trains are getting on a bit. But they are warm and are on time..!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys.

skanky, overnighting in Zurich/Geneva looking likely - please do recommend hotels!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Okay, off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

The cheapest I've stayed in is the Etap at HardTurm. Accor have three hotels in the same block (Novotel, Ibis & Etap) catering for different budgets. It's a little out of town but there's two trams and a train go from there to the centre and there are plenty of trains from HardBruecke station to the airport. There are some reasonable bars and restaurants (as well as some decent size clubs - it's an old industrial area) there so it makes a fairly good compromise between the centre and the airport. It's also the only part of Zurich I'd consider getting a taxi from to the airport.

In town there's four others that I've used and a couple I've heard about.

1) Hotel Bristol on Stampfenbachstrasse. Just outside the Niederdorf area (a bit like the West End without the theatres), it's also very close to the main station. It's a reasonable price and clean and the rooms are pretty modern. Never had a bad night there.

2) Hotel Scheuble slap bang in the middle of the Niederdorf, just off Muehlegasse (sp?). A bit more money, wiith small rooms but having been modernised not too long ago, they are very nice and comfortable., Has a good restaurant. Only downside is the bells from the nearby church early in the morning (won't bother you I suppose).

3) Seidenhof just of BahnhofStrasse. It's okay, not great for the price. Best thing about it is it's position.

4) Hotel Ambassador. 4* near the lake and round teh back of the opera house. Lovely old building, not cheap. Restaurant is very good (esp. the fish) but very expensive. Close to Stadelhofen station where you can get trains to the airport - or two trams run from there to the main station.

Others I've heard about:

Hotel Rigi is very good but again 4* and not cheap.
Franziskaner and Adler are on teh Neiderdorf and I've heard good things.
Hotel Otter is a bit different with very lavishly decked out rooms - all different. Not the cheapest, but between Neiderdorf and Bellevue, near the GrossMunster. One person said they had a great time there.

Most city centre hotels will be reasonable though.

Restaurants:

Neiderdorf area:
Turm (Mexican/Spanish). Very good food, good atnosphere, can get crowded. Just off the alley, above a towards Neumarkt, in a little square with a fountain and water pump.
Santa Lucia: Good Pizzas. At it's best late when it's emptier.
Spanish bar (don't know the name): small, great tapas.
Aelpi Bar: Fondu. Down a side alley, look out for the sign. Cheesey (no pun intended) but good. Not the best Fondu in Zurich, but better than the place with the cow above it.
FranziSkaner: Good quality, nothing spectacular. Reasonable price.

Stadelhofen area (only a short walk from Neiderdorf and Bellevue):
Bar Commercio: Great Italian food. Good wine.

There are some great ones elsewhere in the city, but they're all a decent walk or tram journey.

Also, any of the Bierkellers do cheap food (there's a couple around the Neiederdorf area) and a great one just off BahhofStrasse (at Paradeplatz). You might also get a live band or two and you'll always end up meeting people in those places.

One bar that's worth a visit (if you get there early enough) is the Jules Verne in the observatory. It's by the Rennweg area just off BahnhofStrasse. Turn down towards Rudolf-Brune Brucke and you get to it through a Brasserie on the right (Lipp?). There's a lift up to it. If you get a decent table you can have a drink overlooking the whole old town.

I'll add to this if I think of anything else or spot any mistakes (there's bound to be a few - it's been a couple of years).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In Zurich we overnighted at the Hotel Rex. They arranged minivan transportation to the airport early the next morning, which was appreciated. The hotel was clean and adequate although the streetcars would come roaring by every so often. After 12 or so they stopped.

In Geneva, one trip we spent all the rest of our money and overnighted at the President Wilson right on the lake. It was a beautiful hotel, and we are not likely to forget that experience for a long time. We had dinner in the old town in the general vicinity of the train station at a nice little restaurant called the Bagatelle Cafe, at Place de 22 Cantons, phone 022 732 26 29 if you want to call for directions, although reservations are not required. Many locals were also eating there, always a good sign. I highly recommend the lake perch, which is a very tasty little fish which comes on a sizzling hot black cast iron plate.

John Cacavas
Los Angeles.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy