Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arabba/Corvara Dolomites Anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,
was just wondering is anyone going Jan 15th to Arabba, Corvara area and would like to meet up. Im staying in Arabba at Hotel Evaldo www.hotelevaldo.it
Would be great to ski with other skiers who are Intermediate/Advance.
Dont mind if your 70 or 18, just be nice to have a few more to ski with.

David
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David

Arabba's mountain is great. Do the Marmolada too! Corvara area is very benign and full of cruising runs. Arabba resort is quiet but hey, you can't have everything. Cortina is only 45 minutes away and on the Dolomiti superski pass so go and pose for a day too!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll be there (and Cortina and a mountain hut) that week, but with a guide doing the off-piste, and staying I don't know where - the guide is arranging it at last moment to respond to snow conditions. So probably difficult to meet up, I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike,
i cant wait to ski the Marmolada as its one of the longest and highest runs in the Dolomites! They have replaced the old slow cable cars that go to the top of the Marmolada this season to new faster and bigger ones.

Skied around Corvara last Jan and loved the area. Arabba looks to have more challenging runs. Cant wait to ski from the top of the Lagazuoi cable car towards San Cassiano. Its also known as the Hidden Valley. Its one hell of a run with breathtaking views! Half way down on the left there is some frozen waterfalls.

Snowball it would be great do to some off-piste skiing with you and your guide if we were to meet.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 22-12-04 0:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You might want to edit your number out and PM it instead.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
surfski, Thanks for the PM. I'll try to contact but it may be difficult, since everything will be last moment and we will be travelling around and skiing hard.
As for skiing together, sorry, I hope perhaps one day, but I'm afraid I already have a full group of 6 with my friends (which is about the most for steeper off piste).
Our guide tells us that when he first skied the area he couldn't understand why these fabulous off-piste runs had no tracks on them. He thought perhaps there were dangers he couldn't see, so he asked the locals and was told: "No, the Italians just don't ski serious off piste"!! Shocked Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball, yes ok i understand and i hope you have a good time. To be honest most of my skiing is on Steep Reds and Blacks and only do a little off piste skiing. But i have always wanted to go with a guide and to some serious stuff! The area you want to try is Passo Pordoi. Last year about 4-6 guys at a time were skiing from the top of the cable car down a steep shute. It looked very good.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. Snowhead Cedric is skiing with us.
If you cannot get together a group of friends of similar standard to ski with a guide why not join a group of strangers to ski with a Top Ski or Alpine Experience guide in Val d'Isere. (I just gave details of their websites in a Tignes / Val d'Isere guides thread under Resorts)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 24-12-04 22:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
surfski,

there are several guides in Arabba. they often hang out for apres ski in the coffee shop (under the neilson chalet) between the church and the ski school office. We skied with Francesco Tremolada last season (tremolada@proguide.it). he is a very nice guy and speaks good English, he also wrote the off piste book for the area (available in Italian only). he will put together guided groups depending on skiing standard.

Definitely worth skiing with a guide in Arabba as there is plenty of challenging off piste in the area but you need a guide to lead. Passo Pordoi is one of the runs you can actually do without a guide as it is quite straightforward (under the cable car). it is not particular steep, it just looks it from the bottom, when we skied it last January there were plenty of stones at the entry and it was very windy at the top. we also skied the backside but I recommend that you do this with a guide as there are some big cliffs and other hazards. nice restaurant at the bottom.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Drat!!!
I'll be in Colfosco (in Alta Badia, a short hop from Arabba) the week after you, jan 22-29...
Is anyone still around at that time?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
surfski, if you want off piste, then go to Corvara mountain guides they offer packages...for one day or more, if snow allows it, hire them and ski the Val mezdi', it's a nice off piste one day guided tour from Corvara, to be done at a leisurely pace, half of it on piste.
As for the Marmolada, beware, only one half of the slow cable car has ben replaced, only the upper half, I seem to remember.
The rest will be replaced next summer...
Also, a new underground cable car has been opened which links Santa Cristina (Selva di Valgardena) with the Seceda area...
avoiding people to take a taxi bus or to have to walk.

P.S. the mountain guides office is near the ice skating stadium, and there used to be a free climbing training structure near it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Matteo, sounds very good to ski the Val Mezdi but i dont think im good enough to ski down there as yet. I picked up all the info when i went up the Passo Pordoi cable car last Jan. There seems to be one section that is very steep and narrow looking at the photos i saw. I might be ok though if i was with a guide, but not to sure. Shocked
http://www.altabadiaski.info/pages/mp.php?getpage=skitouren&sub=7&se=E
I did notice the mountain guides in Corvara last Jan near the ice rink plus i also saw the climbing structure which was in use.

As for the Marmorlada this is what i found about the new lifts:-
New uphill facilities 2004/05
Arabba/Marmolada
- double chairlift "Sas de La Vegla" (p/h 1.200) replaces old skilift
- Cable car Marmolada. "Malga-Banc" and "Banc-Serauta" (p/h 900) replaces old cable cars
- 4-seater covered chairlift with automatic coupling "Padon 2" (p/h 2.000) replaces double chairlift
- double chairlift "Cherz II" (p/h 1.200) replaces skilift Cherz

I looked on the piste maps and it seems only the bottom half has been renewed and not the top half.

Im also looking forward to ski down to Selva and ski the Seceda area as i first skied that area 5 yrs ago and it was a lovelly run with frozen waterfalls. Now the new Val Gardena Ronda Express is open it will be much easier to get back to Selva as the last time we had to get a bus.
http://www.altabadiaski.info/pages/mp.php?getpage=skitouren&sub=9&se=E

Snow Report for Arabba 85cm Lower Slopes 150cm Upper Slopes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Surfski, I personally did not find the Val mesdi' run itself difficult, rather, I enjoyed it greatly.
Byut, you are the best judge of yourself, so, if you don't feel liek you can make it, then, don't go.
But if you do decide to go, hire the guides, they will take care of you. Also, the will use the tour to judge wherther you can make it or noty, and will let you know it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Matteo, I think i might just give it a go if there is enough snow. If they dont think im good enough i would rather be told than breaking my neck! Shock I would say im a low end advanced skier and ski mostly red or blacks. Im slowly getting better off piste but keep wiping out. I just wish i had more time there than a week then i would be really good!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Matteo
I am in Arabba that week, helping a mate of mine with some Kiwi skiers. We can meet up sometime that week and ski a bit if you like.
ski holidays
Brooksie, I'll be arriving in Colfosco on Sat 22nd, and leaving Sat 29th...PM me for details
latest report
That's fine, we can meet up, any time that suits you. There may be a few Kiwi's with me but I'm sure that won't be a problem to you.
Mark
snow conditions
That's fine, we can meet up, any time that suits you. There may be a few Kiwi's with me but I'm sure that won't be a problem to you.
Mark
snow conditions
Brooksie...
No prbs...on my side... I'll be with my two sons, my mother, two uncles, a cousin, some of my german ex-in-law family (some of those who're still speaking to me, that is) and last but not least, some friends. Ehe.
I'll be dining at the Hotel Gran Ciasa in Colfosco, every evening, 19.00ish.
Matteo
snow report
Matteo
Where abouts is the hotel? Send me some rough directions and I'll find you. Also if you have a mobile send that to me privately via email and I'll reply with mine. I'm still to confirm where I'll be staying in Arabba, probably with some friends who are repping in resort, which means I'll have access to a car.
Brooksie
snow report
The Hotel located in Colfosco
http://www.granciasa.com/granciasa/posizione_colfoscoinv-e.htm
Colfosco is a neighborhood of Corvara, that can be reached from Arabba "skis on feet" (all locations are part of the Sella Ronda tour), on the way to Selva di Valgardena
snow conditions
Matteo, Im in Arabba now and its starting to snow heavy and looks like its going to be good tomorrow!
latest report
surfski, I envy you! Fresh pow in the Dolomites!!! and maybe even on a Blue sky day!
Today is surfski "Tomorrow" and yesterday it was snowing heavily even in Milan city.
It was beautiful!!!!!!
latest report
Matteo
Work has got in the way and I've had to move dates to the 5th Feb, so won't be able to hook up. Sorry about that, maybe next time.
Brooksie
latest report
Brooksie wrote:
Matteo
Work has got in the way and I've had to move dates to the 5th Feb, so won't be able to hook up. Sorry about that, maybe next time.
Brooksie

Just found this forum and have spied an old ski buddy, in fact I introduced Brooksie to Arabba over 10 years ago.

Matteo,

Think yourself lucky that Brooksie can't make it - you would require a liver transplant if he had. Those Kiwi's are fortunate too.

CP Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
CP
Hello, hows tricks?
Are you going soon with Sam? I'm taking my nippers on 26th Feb to Passo Tonale, but am going to squeeze a few days in before in the arabba area.
Brooksie
latest report
Brooksie,

Squeezed a five dayer in week before Christmas - stayed in Villaroger and had the wonderful powder days of the pre Christmas dump. Off to La Rosiere for half term madness week, just the two of us. I twagned my medial ligament on the last afternoon in Les Arcs so I will be knee braced up and taking it easy, well as easy as Sam will let me Confused

I really must take him to Arabba some time soon but as good a skier as he is, for a 9 year old, he hates drag lifts. Is that awful T bar still there, you know the one with the huge queues in the afternoons that takes you up above Arabba?

I was thinking of Duncan this morning, I wonder if he still plate licking Madeye-Smiley
snow report
CP
Afraid so, they keep trying to change it but the lift operators can't agree on anything at the moment. There are a lot of new lifts in and around the resort.
Brand new 4 man chair lift from the village to Burtz being one.
Brooksie
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The worse lift i hated while i was there was the lift coming back from Passo Campolongo as that was either a T Bar or a Poma Lift and at the end of the day skiing was very tiring after touring around Corvara and La Villa. It badly needs updating to a 4 man chair lift as its very slow and also part of the Sella Ronda. The other one that needs replacing is the 2 Man chair lift, Fedaia and the T Bar, Sass Del Mul on the Marmolada as there are very long queues and very slow again.
snow conditions
surfski, I think we are talking about the same lift - it goes up to Bec de Roces and from there you can ski all the way back down into Arabba if you can get past the Schnaps bar half way down. We always had to stop here to revive ourselves after the torture of the T bar Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy