Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Romania Poiana Brasov

Poster: A snowHead
Puzzled There are a group of six of us (mixed sex) all in our late twenties. We are all newbies - does anyone have any info on Poiana Brasov. We are going at the start of Feb. Info on snow/ski conditions, food and apres ski much appreciated Puzzled PS I know its a budget resort but we are all skint
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi simcla and welcome to snowHeads snowHead I've never been there but a few here have: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php?search_keywords=Poiana%20Brasov&search_fields=all&search_terms=all (sorry for unwieldy link Blush ). I'm sure one of them will drop by this link or you could pm them. Enjoy anyway snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
simcla, another welcome to snowHead snowHeads. snowHead
I was going to suggest you check out snowBase on the mountain view above and you can get to the resort's own web site for info. But it's just a general Romanian Tourist Web Site. Nothing to do with the ski resort. If anyone finds a better link can they please inform Admin ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A PM or email via the site to Cedric might be useful. Cedric is the Romanian expert here....

and welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead simcla....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went there in Soviet times 1976 . All i can remember was the appaling food . I guess it has somewhat improved since then Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Try this web site - might even be the official one. Weird pricing system for lifts - don't appear to do a weekly pass. Puzzled
Quote:
All prices are just for your guidance; changes are possible every time!!!The prices drop in relation with the points. The more points the more favorable.

Check out the Guest Book section for some interesting posts.
{ Can't figure out how to amend snowBase to use the better link. Admin or PG - help please. }

Quote:
You have variated possibilities to spend your time in Poiana Brasov: tenis, football, basketball or miniature golf, swimming with sauna, ice skating, riding etc. You can also play . The nightlife has a lot of interesting offers too: skittles, table tennis, different shows, discoteques and nightclubs. For that who don`t have enough, Brasov offers everything that a european big city can offer.

The traditional art is very variated. You can find here some handicrafts.
wink

Shades of Malcolm Bradbury's excellent spoof guidebook "Why come to Slaka"
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

{ Can't figure out how to amend snowBase to use the better link. Admin or PG - help please. }

I simply entered a new resort with the same name and same email but with your URL and it overwrote the existing. I don't know if you need moderator privileges to do this or not.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pete Horn, thanks - that's the way to do it. I remember now from the days when we set up snowBase. I think anyone can do it - which is perhaps a trifle dangerous. Maybe we better post softly on this wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks all - the website link was good as it had some good photos. I can't read german so i couldn't understand most of the guestbook posts
Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,
Don't have info yet Puzzled but will do soon Very Happy . Flying out on the 27 Dec to Romania and Skiing/staying in Poiana Brasov coming back 3rd Jan. Will come back and post my general observations unless there is anything specific you want me to check out while I'm there.

Rgds

Richard
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Simcla, just saw your post. I'll come back with detailed comments later today. In short though: relatively small skiing area, but if the snow is good you'll enjoy it, especially if you learn fast enough to move off the nursery slopes (you're beginners, right?). I think you'll find good apres-ski. Prices should be low (though not necessarily everywhere). "Dracula" castle nearby (or so they call it anyway).

(I used to ski every year several weekends in Poiana Brasov, until three years ago when I left Romania. The last time someone I met on this forum went to Poiana Brasov, she had an excellent experience and even asked me afterwards why I was slightly cool about it).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Simcla,
Forgot to mention, an excellent site for using to translate stuff, numerous options etc

http://www.systransoft.com

Hope that helps with some of the German pages.

Rich
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ouch Richard, good luck with the snow, it's been erratic over New Year in the last several years...then again, I do remember skiing on Jan 1 after one foot of snow had just fallen overnight...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the info everybody - i will check everything out + keep it coming! Smile Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Welcome to snowHeads, Type23 snowHead

What happened to types 1-22?
snow conditions
Cheers!,
Last one I was on was a 23 ! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hi Type 23, did you have a good time?
latest report
type23 ? hmmm... Bugatti, perchance ?
Ah, just seen other post - a boat.
snow report
If anyone is planning a ski trip to Romania, it looks to be a good site to check the snow condition in Romania.
A brief description on the resorts also included.

http://www.ski-in-romania.com/
ski holidays
Simcla/All,
Sorry for not getting back sooner on my trip over the New Year. I had an excellent holiday but have to admit the skiing was limited for me, first couple of days were spent on the Nursery slope !!! as there wasn't enough snow on the mountain. V frustrating if your not a beginner+ because it was the holidays/for locals also, the only button lift to get to top of nursery slope was packed, 15-20mins to queue, 2 mins to Ski down ! Thankfully we had some snow on the 3rd day and they allowed us to go on the mountain, very limited ski domain, I never realised (my own fault for not checking before I left) if there was enough snow then would be Ok but when limited pistes are open then you quickly cover all that is available. Ski conditions were hard i.e lack of snow, ice (big sheets of it which got larger as week progressed,) + rock. Perversely think my skiing came on leaps and bounds, took on a "sod it going for it" mentality where the ice/rocks were; helped by I think my recent purchase of a helmet. I'm sure that has affected/boosted my confidence?) Also using rental skis ( this is a major factor whether the Ski school let you go up the mountain, I think they own some of the rental shops so they want to protect their equipment) Some of the other skiiers (including instructor) in my group took their own skis off in certain areas and walked because of the damage they were getting !!
As for resort, not much going on at night, apparently place to go is Brasov 20 mins in a taxi £4, couldn't persuade any of my lot to go so can't tell you first hand what it is like. Stayed in the hotel Alpin which was excellent, place is being refurbished at moment but no problems, staff v.friendly and prices for drinks etc excellent. Generally the place is well cheap ! couple of cashpoints at the bottom of where the nursery slopes are + there is one in the foyer of the hotel next door to the Alpin. Eating on the slopes, try the Rossignol club (best pizzas ever!) Can't think of anything else to tell you apart from really stating the obvious, just hope/pray that you get the snow! Any other questions just let me know.

Rgds

Richard Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks richard, info much appreciated, we just hop it snows and stays before we go, thanks a lot. Wish you had a better hol, sounds like it was a bit crap.
snow report
simcla wrote:
Thanks richard, info much appreciated, we just hop it snows and stays before we go, thanks a lot. Wish you had a better hol, sounds like it was a bit crap.

Was away for New Years and Romanians certainly know how to party/enjoy themselves. Skiing admitedly could have been better but I still managed to have a truly excellent holiday was with a great bunch of people and enjoyed the whole experience so wasn't disappointed ! snowHead

Rich

p.s Did make me want to get more Skiing in soonest thou so got back and booked up a Skiing holiday to Ellmau in Austria for March Embarassed
ski holidays
Rich, was it easy to take money out of the cashpoints or did you take any lei, euros or sterling with you? Glad you had a good time - i think we will try and venture to Brasov Puzzled
ski holidays
Easy to take money from cashpoints, I did have some Euros with me and got some lei from airport when I landed, but really cashpoints in Poiana are best bet. It cost £1.50 transaction charge and offered significantly better rate than anywhere else !
latest report
I went with a couple of lads to PB in the mid-70s, Iron curtain days. We had a ski guide for the whole week, cost
was my travel scrabble game! We each took a pair of levis which when sold on the black market paid for all our
drinks (we drank a lot!) and lunches for the week. A bear was caught outside our hotel one night and put in a cage for a few days, then released. When we were there all the hotels were in a large semi-circle, we were staying at one end and took a taxi to the other end where the hotel had a disco. Upon leaving in the early hours we decided to take a short cut and walk straight across the "field" which was covered with very deep snow, rugby tackling each other and having snowball fights all the way. When we got down for breakfast in the morning the whole village was talking about some crazy people who had gone across the lake the night before!
I am sure lots has changed now, but for me it was one of the best ski holidays (I've had about 40) I have ever
had. If yours is half as good you'll have a blast. Laughing
snow conditions
Thanks everybody - the snow forecast is pretty good so we should get some good skiing/boarding in - or should that be bad skiing on good snow!
snow report
Simon, you've reminded me of the good old days...

Type23, glad you managed to get some good things out of limited snow. As for simcla - the snow was much better last week (my parents were there and confirmed this), so if there's a bit extra coming down, you should have good skiing - though it's true is limited.

If you're interested in a day in another resort, you could try to get to Sinaia - very different scenery, smaller place but higher mountain and one damn hard black run (with beautiful views). Train from Brasov (about 30 mins), then two cable cars up the mountain. But only worth if you feel the skiing is limited in PB, and DEFINITELY not on a weekend (huge Bucharest crowds invade).

If you take the gondola in PB, about half-way up, just underneath it, there's a fence I jumped (and I nearly hit my head on the oncoming gondola). Have a look for it.
ski holidays
simcla, other than price, did you have any other reason for chosing Romania? Nothing against Romania myself (I know someone with a business out there & hope to go out to test the slopes myself sometime next season) but I wouldn't send a bunch of British novices there, even if they were skint. For future reference, there are plenty of cheap deals for Alpine resorts for at least the same cheapness as Eastern European resorts. Alpine resorts are closer (waste less time travelling), and by all accounts sound better set up for first timers, and for skiing in general.

But have fun!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Manda, we picked it on the basis of: cost, the apparent quality of accomodation at the price point, the good instruction from the ski schools and the fact that brasov seems like quite an interesting place to visit if we can't or don't want to ski (lots of historical building etc) - we did look at apline resorts but the but the "cheap" accomodation looked "cheap" and the ancillary costs of a holiday in an apline resort was a lot higher - If we ski all the runs in one week i will be suprised!
latest report
i meant to say alpine, not apline
snow report
Cedric, if you see this post - do you think 70cm lower slope, 100cm upper slope will be ok -ps we are going on Feb 12th
ski holidays
Simcla, that snow cover sounds very good. You should have a fun time - enjoy! (ah I envy you, it may be a small mountain but I have great memories from it, wouldn't mind going back once in a while if I could get some friends there at the same time).

Btw, you're right about ancillary costs of the holiday - they should be a lot lower. Good idea to get instruction.
snow conditions
Thanks Cedric! & everyone else
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
wey hey - flying out on Sat 12th - only Smile Very Happy 2 more days of work
latest report
simcla,
How was the skiing ? Hoping you had more snow than when I was there ?

Rich
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy