Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot Buckle Extender

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

I’m currently designing an accessory for ski boots that will aid skiers with large calf muscles.

The product will help the user do up the upper buckles of the boot by acting as a ratchet/buckle extender.

The target market is aimed at beginners who use rental boots which cannot be easily adapted to suit them; the product could then be handed out at the rental store if the user needs it.

I have put in a URL to give you an idea of a simular product on the market produced by Nordica.

[url]http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/4832/products/nordica_ski_boot_buckle_extension_single_.aspx

If you could comment on what you think, it would be much appreciated! Very Happy

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What is the point if a simple solution is on the market? Let us know what yours does that the one one you posted doesn't and we can give you feedbak.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it aint broke don't fix it, the Nordica Product (I think others make a similar extension) works I've used it although in my case the shop gave me mine for free, however being honest what made a huge difference for me was switching to the no longer made Rossignol Soft Ski Boots, the leather on these at the top of the boot gives a really good fit for my tree trunk legs.

The Nordica product is cheap to produce, easy to use and works
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm currently doing research to create a generic one that can fit most boots.
Also, I know that the buckles become loser during the day of skiing and while the user is on the piste it could become too lose and possibly fall from the buckle completly and be lost, if that happens then the boot wouldn't be done up and can effect their skiing performance.
So basically my idea was to create a new design were upon a clip can be added and/or a hook that can be atteched to the boot ect, to prevent the user from losing the extender; as I personally lose items that are this small.
Hope that clears things up a little. :S

I'm currently trying to create the product, so that it is cheaper than Nordica's version to produce using suitable manufacturing proceses and materials; for it then to become a promotional item for the rental companies.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
colmc001,

I have the opposite problem. Bloody great feet and comparatively slender calves. Can you do anything for me?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Having looked at the market, booster straps could be of some help for skiers with slender calves as it brings the shin to the front of the boot. I haven't looked into this fully, but it could be of some help.
Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You are fixing a problem which most skiers don't have an issue with which has already been fixed. We have loads of problems that conventional,ski gear hasn't fixed, why not focus on that?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally I haven't found any other problems with skiing other than the boots not being able to be done up.
What sort of other problems do people find with ski gear? :S
Please help a design student: having a bit of a mare Sad lol
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
colmc001, i think you are right to focus on the detail - what about looking at more products that can synchronise with the omnipresent smartphone almost every skiier has? A device that captures every crash by turning on the video when the decellerometer goes nuts, or even a simple bullet cam that attaches to your phone, etc etc etc forever. So far you've had one idea, it already exists, so find another. Some of my ideas probably already exist too. If you have specific skills tell us and we can try and tailor ideas around that instead of generic ideas.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
musher, Booster straps.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the advice guys, but after having a think and considering the time I have to complete this concept by; I'm going to stick my initial design of IMPROVING what is already on the market, as with obesity and weight gain on the rise throughout the world there will be a greater need for it. This also fits in with my design abilities, plus the brief asked specifically for no electronics to be involved.
Thanks for everything; it's given me some help Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
colmc001, OK, other ideas - something to assist small kids with carry heavy ski boots to the ski room with one hand. Boot carriers do exist, but they require fiddling with the wooden beads to fasten them under the boot buckes, and they tend not to carry the boots level. Or a holder that will fasten to a left sleeve of a kids jacket (or adults) to take an electronic lift pass when the jacket does not have a suitable sleeve pocket, but which WON'T fall off the arm when the coat is removed. Something that will clip to the edge of a childs skis to take the poles so a child can carry skis and poles without dropping either - if it holds the skis together in the process so much the better and it needs to be small enough to pocket when the ski group reaches the piste for the days skiing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Justa second, you do know that the nordica product isn't a ratchet, it doesn't make it easier to tighten your boots, just means that you can run the buckle looser. Why not invent a product that makes tightening up a buckle easier? Mrs monium occasionally asks me to tighten up her ankle buckle because she doesn't have the strenght in her fingers to tighten the boot up as much as she'd like. A simple tool with a slot cut into the end could provide all the leverage you need and more. Or perhaps replacement buckles with longer tabs to grab onto? Don't reinvent the wheel. That happens far to much already.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, for the arm lift pass thing, what about an iron on pocket of the appropriate size? Probably easily designed and manufactured, no idea if you can iron on to the outside of most ski jackets but i suspect you could. I've used a number of glues which would stick to it, perhaps a self adhesive pocket instead of iron on.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The buckle power extender certainly exists - it's standard on another of Head boots costs f all I imagine and is very efficient
snow conditions
Megamum, sleeve pocket not essential, any pocket from shoulder to knee works fine for the lift pass, even if you bury it deep in side clothes. Ange.
snow report
Megamum, sleeve pocket not essential, any pocket from shoulder to knee works fine for the lift pass, even if you bury it deep in side clothes. Ange.
ski holidays
flangesax, Hi Ange, then you've come across more sensitive pass scanners than I've found. Most seem to require the pass in rough sort of vicinity of the scanner, and lower on the body I felt was sometimes awkward for my own small children - at least in my experience, which is why I resorted to elasticated pouches on the upper sleeve when the jacket did not have a sleeve pocket. N.B. I have also managed to bury my pass even just below another credit card and had problems getting it to read without lifting it closer to the clothing surface so I think sensistivity may be a bit machine dependant, perhaps I've just been unlucky......

Monium, when looking for a solution I try to find something that won't damage the jackets possible second-hand value when outgrown, making iron or stick on solutions not the best solution for me.
ski holidays
colmc001, It's not a big deal to drill another hole and re-rivet the clips in a location that allows a wider opening.
snow conditions
Hi Megamum, surely you didnt have probs with the ones here, they pick up the pass in my 3 year olds trouser pocket no worries, and even my 6 year old when he has put it on his right side, (admittedly he had to rotate his hips a bit but even so). Ange
snow report
How about some device for carrying skis? I'm sure that's never been done before.
snow report
Megamum...

We average about 50 days each per season, have 2 kids and have done 6 consecutive seasons with electronic passes accross Salzburgerland, Steirmarkt and Upper Austria.

Keep the pass in the left hand jacket or trouser pocket with no other clutter and any other electronics on your right.

I'm afraid this is more of the case of user error!...(not Ange)
snow conditions
altis, There is a device for this, called a "shoulder". Your own or if you are lucky someone else'sSmile Works perfectly!
snow report
I think someone should make and sell padding for those bloody rotating turnstiles that always seem to be at exactly the correct height to bash just above my knee. As well as stopping my legs getting bashed it would also be an advertising/branding opportunity.
ski holidays
To be honest, m8, there's a very simple way of doing this that I sometimes use. You get a piece of heavy duty, flexible braided wire, either tie a knot in it or join it with a wire clamp. thread it over the buckle loop so it does not fall off (the knot works quite nicely as a 'lock' here) then loop it over the relevant 'tooth' on the boot part of the buckle and close. Works quite well for mending buckles whilst in the back country as well which is how I 'discovered' it. It was a known piece of bodgery in the Army ski units back in the day, don't know if they still do it. It would have a little bit too much flex for racing purposes but for mere mortals it does the trick.
snow conditions
@colmc001, Whatever happened to this extender idea?
ski holidays
@snowbunnyredleg, probably fell on its ads like most ideas where there is already a solution, the inventor was trying to create a “new” product to do exactly what an existing product did but make it more generic, thing is the existing product was pretty generic already
latest report
the product he was mimicking or making more generic is no longer in production.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It looks as if it's still available (or something similar). https://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/product/spares/ski-boot-fitting-accessories/ski-boot-buckle-catch-extenders/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy