Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton or Whistler???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Puzzled HELP - 3 of my friends and me are stuck between 1 week in St Anton or 10 days in Whistler. We are all intermediate/good intermediate skiiers and are looking for awesome slopes, plenty of Apres Ski and night life.
We are looking at end-Feb 05 to early Mar 05 and welcome any advice re costs, booking suggestions etc! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not a lot to choose between them, both offer excellent terrain, snow conditions probably slightly more reliable in Whistler, apres ski probably better in St Anton. In resort is cheaper in Whistler, food on the mountain is better in St Anton. Unguided off-piste is equivalent in both resorts, "backcountry" skiing is excellent in both resorts. St Anton has more alpine charm, Whistler has better service.

I've been to both twice so far, and I'm planning on going back to them both, couldn't possibly choose between them. Toss a coin, and do one of them this year, the other one next year. Even better, do them both this year. If you go to one and love it, don't miss out on the other one.

I hope that this has been no help at all, because this is a really difficult decision that you have to make, and I envy you. Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look at the exchange rate, could be this is the year to hop across the pond. Both are must do's before you die. Little Angel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Canadian dollar isn't that much different to last year (CA$2.255 = GB£1.00 this time last year, CA$2.351 = GB£1.00 today - during mid feb the CA$ dollar fell to about 2.5 to the pound so was a bargain if you were there then)
The US Peso on the other hand.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
paulgov, welcome to snowheads, btw!!! Best site in the world for advice about snow - you came to the right place. Haven't been myself, only wish I was going there this year too ....come to think of it, why the hell not????!!! (rummages around in purse, finds a few moths but no money). Ah. That's why. Sigh. Have fun, tell us all about it when you return!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
paulgov, Haven't been to St Anton, so not really qualified to answer your question.

I can say one thing though and that is that Whistler is the dogs jacobs when it comes to variety! I spent 5 1/2 months (147 days on the hills...) there a couple of years ago and I was still finiding new places to carve up the day I left....

Stunning.... I eccho the fellow snowheads opinions!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was faced with a similar decision only a few weeks ago.
After tearing my hair out, I decided on St. Anton, funnily enough also in March but for a slightly larger group of five.

Whistler seemed cheaper to me, but I couldn't bring myself to go that far for anything less than 2 weeks, and 2 weeks would have meant double the amount of time to book off work.

The problem with St. Anton was the cost of all the decent places, and the distance of the cheaper places to the town centre and the bars.
I managed to sort this problem out by luckily getting hold of a good hotel near the centre and getting a nice discount by being a SCGB member.

I would suggest forget looking at the resort, but instead compare the accommodation and its location, I think the resorts are just too similar, and too good.

I would go for the best hotel, or chalet available whichever resort it was in.
But then again, that’s just me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulgov, from what I've heard, St A. is rather more appealing to "advanced/expert" skiers, whereas I know Whistler/Blackcomb, while having a great expert rep also has loads and loads of everything for everyone.

But, the crucial question for me would be

6 days in Austria vs 10 days in Canada. Assuming you can handle or don't get jet lag (anyway it will make early starts easier...) 6 days vs 10 is the question I'd ask myself.

Both are 5 star, top line resorts with everything that goes with that reputation. I'd go for where I'll get most ski days done myself. Why deprive yourself.

Also, St A is perfectly doable for a sneaky weekend, Whistler's a little trickier in that respect.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all of your replies. First time on this web site and looks like time well spent even if my decision appears to be no easier than before!! Very Happy Jet-lag is an issue (probably more so on the way back having been fortunate to have spent the last 2 weeks in Cancun, Mexico). Choices, choices, choices. Am swaying towards Whistler following lots of good reports from USA and Canadians we met on holiday ... though none of them had been to St. Anton!!! Oh well, heads or tails .................... wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulgov, there's not a bad choice here. It is impossible to make the wrong decision between these two.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy