Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How snowboarding saved the ski industry

Poster: A snowHead
It's been said many times, but the figures are not always there to prove it. The US resorts, so commercial and dependent on regular trade, take particular interest in the balance and inter-relationship of skiing and boarding.

Here's how they reckon that snowboarding gave a kick up the rear of a 5000-year-old biped pursuit, reported by USA Today.
Quote:
Some 6.3 million Americans went snowboarding in 2003, a dramatic increase from a decade earlier, when only 2.1 million said they had taken part in the sport, according to an annual survey conducted by the National Sporting Goods Association.
In contrast, the same survey showed the number of skiers is declining — 6.8 million people in 2003 compared to 10.6 million people 10 years before.

But four US resorts continue to ban snowboarding: Taos in New Mexico, Alta and Deer Valley in Utah, and Mad River Glen in Vermont.

Will they hold out indefinitely?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's interesting that in America in 2003 approximately half of the sliders were boarders, which isn't my perception of the situation in Europe. I would have thought that skiers still outnumber boarders quite significantly - or perhaps it's just the places I go or my own lack of observation. Are there any equivalent figures for this side of the Atlantic?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It really depends where you go - the more expensive the lift ticket, then the fewer boarders there seems to be around - probably due to some correlation between age and economic status! - but then I've recently met quite a few people who have started skiing after previously boarding. Americans are good at making statistics say what ever they want to say! Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm, does the different proportion in the States have something to do with slope type? Unless you're seriously insane, couloirs and bumpy steeps are a lot more manageable on two planks than one - do more people "slide" gnarly terrain in Europe (so higher proportion of skiers) versus more people sliding on more thoroughly groomed slopes, with more common powder, in the States (so higher proportion of boarders) ?

I dunno, just a thought....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro wrote:
It's interesting that in America in 2003 approximately half of the sliders were boarders, which isn't my perception of the situation in Europe. I would have thought that skiers still outnumber boarders quite significantly - or perhaps it's just the places I go or my own lack of observation. Are there any equivalent figures for this side of the Atlantic?

There's those ski club figures mentioned in the forum, they show 81% of slope users are skiers, this is just UK skiers of course but it seems pretty much ball park correct to me. The only time I see 50% or more boarders is on glaciers out of season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think it's where you look. As a boarder I prefer to board off piste in the powder which seems easier to master on a snowboard than skiis. Hence I see a lot more snowboarders than skiiers. I guess if I was a skiier who liked the fast pistes I would see more skiiers.

Also I've noticed that the proportion varies depending on the day of the week. In early season midweek all you see are skiiers (mostly retired people) whereas at the weekend, with the influx of the younger people from the cities, the proportion of boarders increase

However I still think that there are still more skiier around than boarders in Europe.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith wrote:
But four US resorts continue to ban snowboarding: Taos in New Mexico, Alta and Deer Valley in Utah, and Mad River Glen in Vermont.

Will they hold out indefinitely?

I certainly hope so (I thought it was 5, but can't remember where the 5th one was).
Alta is definitely a different place than Snowbird (its sister resort), the whole feeling of the place is different, and I like it!
I've skiied DV too, but it was just too posh for me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I've skiied DV too, but it was just too posh for me.

Fox, you're the only snowHead I recall skiing in 'black tie'. If this wasn't posh enough for Deer Valley then I sympathise with you.
What's the dress code to board a Deer Valley chairlift? Ballgown and tiara?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've skied at Deer Valley, and it didn't seem posh to me - the people, the gear, the lifts were all pretty much normal ski resort types. The mountain restaurants were nice, but for style not as glitzy as Snowbasin, and for food not as good as Courchevel or Zermatt. As far as the ratio of skiers to snowboarders is concerned, I've been to loads of places and the only place that has had anything like 1:1 has been Brighton (UT). Normally in Europe it's probably more like 3:1 skiers to snowboarders?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plake wrote:
I've skied at Deer Valley, and it didn't seem posh to me - the people, the gear, the lifts were all pretty much normal ski resort types.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. People talk about having staff carry your skis for you etc but I saw none of that.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Hmmm, so the # of boarders went up by approx 4M and the # of skiers went down by approx 4M.

Same number of overall sliders, no Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What was quite interesting is that although there is almost equality in the number of people who ski or board, boarders only accounted for 30% of visitors to ski resorts. Does this mean that a typical skier gets more than twice as much snow time as your average boarder? Could this be related to the average age and afluence of each?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alan empty,

Quote:

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. People talk about having staff carry your skis for you etc but I saw none of that.

When I wasat DV, the ski flunkeys were unloading skis from SUVs and Cadillacs, but they weren't so keen to help those of us arriving on the shuttle bus.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Taking my polemical hat off, I concur with the view that snowboarding has in fact been instrumental in not only saving skiing but also reviving it as an exciting pursuit. Having skied for about 25 years, it's clear that skiing was dying on its a r s e in the late 1980's, partly due to poor snowfalls but also because the sport was largely inaccessible for adult beginners to get really proficient at. That's all changed, largely due to to the influence snowboard design has had upon ski construction which has made the latter far more accessible to beginners. Moreover, adult beginners can now become very proficient at the sport and this surely has to be a good thing.

Interestingly, the demographics tend to suggest that older 'riders' (it makes me shudder to use that blinking new Labour euphemism) tend to be skiers and I'm not at all surprised that resorts tend to focus the majority of their efforts towards this market. I've seen tanned blokes in their seventies skiing down the mountain but I've struggled to spot a boarder over 50 indulging in the sport. I suspect the sheer body dynamics involved in boarding might make it a little more dificult the older one gets, but I daresay that's being presumptuous.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kevin, my son told me that the oldest client he taught to snowboard was a 74 yr woman. I've decided that I'm too young to board, I'll save it for when I get really old and decrepit and take up golf as well.
snow conditions
I met an instructor at one of the artificial slopes the other day who told me he had taught an 80 year old to board. I am 57 and a beginner. I don't think the "body dynamics" are any more difficult - in fact they're a lot simpler - but the inescapable fact is that you can't learn to board without falling over. A beginner skier with a degree of athleticism and a good instructor can learn to ski with little or no falling over. Grownups don't like to fall over. However, when you do, getting up on a board can be a lot easier than getting up on skis (at least onto your toe edge; getting up heelside on the flat is rather challenging for older people!). Also, older people tend to stop learning new things, and older skiers who are highly competent on two planks don't like to make an back bottom of themselves on one. So I think the main barriers are psychological, rather than physical. Personally I shall continue to try to improve boarding, because it makes a change, because I don't mind falling over, within reason, and because I don't mind making an back bottom of myself. I have encountered only friendly responses from fellow (young) beginner boarders, but then I frequent a small, friendly, totally uncool and laid back small French resort, where nobody seems to be out to make others feel foolish. Learning new stuff is a good way to help guard against dementia, it is said. so I am learning boarding and French and hoping for the best.
ski holidays
pam w, Bravo.
snow report
The inescapable fact, also Pam, is that you cannot learn to ski without falling over either.

Enjoy your learning because, as they say, 'learning is for life'.
ski holidays
Diarmuid, I'm surprised you see more boarders off-piste than skiers, that isn't my experience, though certainly there are more, in proportion, than on piste. I shall have to make a count this year. Though now I come to think about it I hardly see anyone off piste: perhaps a few people in the distance once or twice each day.
It will be more a case of counting tracks, and my memory of that was a much higher proportion of ski tracks. In fact boarder tracks are sufficiently rare to sometimes be commented on.
Perhaps you ski off-piste nearer to the pistes, or choose your own routes, whereas I (along with most skiers) ski mostly with a guide so find the places others don't ski, often in valleys with no lift or piste, seeing chamoix, eagles and snow hares (?) I don't know, it's just a guess.

Once two years ago a couple of us were waiting for someone who had fallen to catch up and two boarders arrived. One remarked loudly to his friend that there were so many skiers these days following the example of boarders by skiing off piste. He genuinely seemed to believe that skiers hadn't really done it before and was quite surprised when I spoke up and said I had been skiing off-piste long before boards were invented (I got the impression he was surprised anyone that old would still be alive! Or that any of us would respond) But, then, he was very young (and of course without a guide).

kevin mcclean, I'm not sure if modern boarders would just be skiers now if boards had not been invented or if boards have really brought people to the snows who wouldn't have come otherwise.
It should be pointed out that carving skis have made skiing much easier than it used to be. The vast majority of skiers in the past just skidded round corners with no carve at all. The person who carved was noticed (and by carved I don't mean they left visible tramlines on the piste as many do now). Modern skiers have much better technique because the skis allow it, and they progress up the mountain earlier. This is probably the only reason any new sliders are skiers!
snow conditions
i wouldnt have learnt how to ski if it hadnt been for snowboards. actually that sounds wrong. i would have learned how to slide, if it wasnt for snowboards... better.

i went dry slope skiing (in calshot, with the school) and at crystal palace. both experiences were horriffically painful, and generally put me off wanting to go up a mountain for years. i stuck happily to skateboarding, and only 4 years ago had the opportunity to actually go up a mountain for the first time. naturally i got straight on a board and have dreamed of moving up to a mountain since then.

i think this year im going to try some snowblades, because they look fun, and i want to be able to ski as well, especially because i HATE drag lifts on snowboards, and because the resort i go to (kopaonik in serbia) is mostly designed around skiing, so a lot of the inter connections between runs are flat paths or slightly uphill.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy