Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Lillehammer - Please help!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am getting married at the end of December this year and am thinking of spending our honeymoon in Lillehammer, has anyone been? We were looking at something a bit different and Lillehammer seems to have a lot going for it…. Also we would be able to incorporate a stay in Oslo! Or does anyone have any other recommendations about any other resorts in Norway?

Any help would be very much appreciated!!
Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't skied at Lillehammer, but I did visit the town for a day when I was staying for a few days in Oslo -its on a fast direct rail connection from Oslo, so if you flew into Oslo you would certainly be able to combine the two.
I have skied at Geilo in Norway, which is a pleasant town (again on a main rail line), set in a valley with two seperate ski areas on each of the valley slopes - a free ski bus links the two areas.
However, I would caution that in view of the latitude, the hours of daylight at the end of December will be quite short - I went in February when they were similar to what you would get in an alpine resort.
P.S Congratulations! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are hours of daylight a concern on one's honeymoon Alastair? Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good point, Alan Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for that response Alastair! I dont think alot of people have been so its difficult to get other opinions..... I have had a look into the daylight hours and it looks like the sun rises about 8am and sets about 3.30pm so its not as bad as I thought when I read your response! Just one more question - is it as expensive as everyone makes out for drinks? I have just come back from France and the drinks were very expensive there (6 Euros for a large beer!) - and that was only just in France.... Neilson say that because of the exchange rate, its not nearly as bad as it used to be and that it is comparable with resorts like Zermatt? Or is this just a ploy to get you to ge to their less popular resorts?? Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi stidola,
We stayed at Hafjell in Norway last December, which I think is the nearest ski area to Lillehammer - about 15km away. Its about 2hrs by bus from Oslo airport.
Hours of daylight are around 8am - 3.30pm as you said. It's also very cold at that time of year (around -14 to -19 when we were there). What level of skiers are you and your fiance? Because the skiing there is fairly limited - it suited us fine as we have 2 young children and all of us are not much more than beginners. Also we were only there for 4 days. We had a great time but I'd hesitate to recommend it to anyone above intermediate level, or for a whole week's skiing. Tourist board website is www.lillehammerturist.no
Hope this helps. Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As regards the price of drinks in Norway, yes they are expensive - when I was in Geilo about 4 years ago the hotel bar charged about £5 for a half litre of beer (just under a pint). Because Norway is not in the EU you are still allowed to bring in duty free with you -check the allowances but I think it's 1 litre of spirits per person, so you can always bring in whiskey, gin, vodka etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy