Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt - yesterday

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back today. We spent three days skiing/blading (I know, I know) on the Kleine Matterhorn, and Cervinia ski areas.

First the good news. There is snow right the way into Zermatt (not Cervinia), and all three areas are open.

The bad news is once you're off the glacier it's all artificial. It was very cold though, so a lot of snow has been made.

Fingers crossed for the coming weeks then...........
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski wrote:

First the good news. There is snow right the way into Zermatt (not Cervinia), and all three areas are open.

Actually you can ski down to Cervinia on the 7 (Ventina). I did it yesterday. It's a bit hard very close to the town but I've see much worse

ski wrote:

The bad news is once you're off the glacier it's all artificial. It was very cold though, so a lot of snow has been made.

I would agree for the Zermatt side. I did one run down as far as Furgg and past Trockner Steg it was really hard but the snow on the Cervinia side was very good. The piste and off piste under Lago Goillet was excellent. It doesnt get any sun so the powder doesn't get crusty. It is very heavily tracked out though.

Here's a pic :
http://diarmuid.no-ip.info/my_pics/2004%2012%2005%20Cervinia/slides/cervinia_05_120014.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice one. Thanks for those very early season reports. The last time I was in Zermatt this early in the season it was pretty near perfect, but they'd been having storms since late October, blowing up from Italy - it was the autumn there were huge destructive floods down the narrow valleys of the Val d'Aosta.

This year seems a bit more average - you can't expect great snow depths in Zermatt this early in December in a typical year. Anyone looking to ski there this year at an equally quiet time should look at mid April. With an early Easter it should be quite brilliant then.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Guys, I'm a bit confused and badly need your help.

I've just decided to bail out of the 9 days I had planned in Verbier starting this friday. They can't open Mont Fort because there's not enough snow to cover the crevasses which have opened up even wider this summer than they did in the heatwave of 2003! Consequently skiing is very limited between Attelas and Ruinettes, which is not going to keep me happy for very long. The Grands Montets in Argentiere have postponed opening from last weekend, presumably because of a similar cravasse issue.

This blasted high pressure looks like it's going to stick around for a while yet, so I'm working on nothing changing in the foreseeable future.

I can write off my place in Verbier, have flights into Geneva and looking at this thread am thinking of going to Zermatt/Cervinia. I'm a good advanced skier and comfortable on pretty much all terrain, but at the moment would be happy for any snow covered terrain.

I've never been to either, am going with good mates and am happy with a few beers and dinner in the evening, as long as I can ski hard and long during the day. Accomodation is available in either.

From the reports above it seems snow is better in Cervinia, but the terrain is more demanding in Zermatt. I know they are linked, but which would you advise?

Many thanks from an increasingly desperate snowhead! (I even checked flights to Canda! All gone for the weekend)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Diarmuid, great photos thanks! only a few days left to wait..........unfortunately i don't think our conditions are going to be as good............hope i'm wrong though! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Steve Sparks, Cervinia's skiing is generally very easy. Though the snow is better there you'll have no problem at all in accessing it, subject to weather conditions on the Plateau Rosa between the two, from Zermatt.

I'd book yourself into Zermatt. If you want to specify a low/mid/high budget, accommodation tips can be given. Book (in London) the standard return train tickets from Geneva to any ski resort (about £54 return at the last count). Check the timetables because the last train up the BVZ railway from Visp or Brig is not that late in the evening before the season is in full swing.

The other alternative would be Saas Fee, which has a slightly pacier glacier, but from the sound of it Zermatt can currently offer its full 2000m+ vertical, albeit much on artificial snow.

You've definitely taken the right decision in bailing out of Verbier. It's rarely a good destination this early in the winter, unfortunately.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve Sparks, go to Zermatt. The better terrain is in the Gornergrat and Rothorn areas, you'll access these much easier from Zermatt.....but you'll still have the glacier (along with everyone else) if it get's really desperate.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
well like I said, I can't tell you a whole lot about the conditions in Zermatt. I only saw as far a Furgg and what I saw of that I was not impressed. Cervinia had better snow conditions. I don't know what the conditions at Gornergrat/Rothorn are like, sorry.

The slopes in Cervinia are not very difficult, that's true. but it is a cheaper resort.

If you are travelling by car from Geneva, Cervinia is quicker, by public transport, I have no idea.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely base yourself in Zermatt. Apres ski is better and your ski options are greater. However, don't underate Cervinia. A lot is motorway cruising but conditions are often better at this time of year and you may surprise yourself at what can be found away from the piste. Zermatt has been our destination over the last three years for an early season weekend with a group of friends. We've stayed at the Mattorhornblick which I can thoroughly recommend. A great location both for ski convenience (very near a ski bus stop along the river and convenient town centre location in the evening). This year, ironically, we're heading to Val d'Isere having booked four days of coaching so I'm off to Val this Thursday.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guys, thank you very much, great advice. Apartment in Zematt booked for £330 for 3 of us through Interhome and I'm really looking forward to exploring a new area, and at least we'll have some snow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve Sparks, newcomers to Zermatt are well advised to drop into the North Wall bar for insightful tips on where the best snow is. Ask for Chris Patient. He's a photographer and has been there for years. If he's not too busy at the pizza oven I'm sure he'll give you some friendly advice.

Here's his website with details of how to find the North Wall bar.

To see the most awesome view of the Matterhorn - that north wall - spend some time skiing from Schwarzsee down the Weisse Perle piste (or Stafelalp if it's open).

Have a really good trip. The Italian food in the basement restaurant of the Hotel Post is great if you want to eat at a fair price, BTW, and that hotel is an extraordinary rabbit warren of characterful bars etc.

As you're self-catering your best bet is to look out the Migros supermarket, which is about 5 mins walk from the station, on the same road as the Vernisage cinema and bar (a brilliant place).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
If you are travelling by car from Geneva, Cervinia is quicker, by public transport, I have no idea.

Much of a muchness in time, I think. Cervinia by bus (Geneva to Courmayeur or Aosta, then change) and Zermatt by train.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steve Sparks, is France too far? Down't rowd from Geneva you could get yerself to Val D or Tignes. I'm off to Tignes this Sunday. Guaranteed snow on the glacier. And most of the runs down to Val Claret/Le Lac are open + the link to Val D looks open!!!! 40%ish of Espace Killy is a goer!!! Ok, so experienced experts will be bored, but as a middling intermediate I shall be reasonably happy. To get there: buses and www.a-t-s.net (try ATS last minute deals).

Good luck whatever you do - and don't forget to post a report when you return!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Manda, thanks, for reasons too complicated to explain I have to drop off some radiator covers in Le Chable (down the hill from Verbier) on fri night! So I'm already heading east from GVA.

Have a great time in Tignes.

David Goldsmith, thanks ever so much, I will search Chris out.

Now I just can't wait to get going!

Will post when I get back on 20/12, hopefully with some positive news for all the Christmas/new year crowd (and me as I'm out in the Valais again on 7/1!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steve Sparks, newcomers to Zermatt are well advised to drop into the North Wall bar - the nachos are worth a go too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy