Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Police slag off British Skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Big article in todays Times about French Police "being wise" about British Skiers claiming for lost skis on the last day of their holidays !!! Clever people will be able to do the link.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1390675,00.html

however

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4070973.stm
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Paul Mason, I'm afraid we beat The Times by three days on that news

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3802

...though they have provided some useful added detail. Whatever the suspicions of the French police, and there probably is some truth in their allusions, it's true that they've taken many years to crack down on this area of crime. As a victim of ski theft in Les Deux Alpes, and a two-fingered typist on a manual typewriter in the local police station - all of which got me nowhere - this can only be welcome if they cut the level of ski crime.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was the dog sacked?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to tie things together:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3855
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Never had skis stolen but I had an expensive pair of gloves and googles stolen whilst I was eating lunch in the Hospice Alm in St Christoph. It that's my only brush with theft in a ski reort I'll be quite happy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's just been a fairly lengthy item on BBC R4 6pm news. I don't like the sound of spot checks on coaches on the way to the airport. I fear that's not going to do Anglo-French relations much good!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith wrote:
Paul Mason, I'm afraid we beat The Times by three days on that news

erm, 3 and a half days:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=70816#70815

I suspect a lot of the 'addittional detail' in the Times report is their poor translation of what they got from the French wire service.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, I feel I should apologise on behalf of our resort!

I've never had any skis etc. stolen, but I have an infallible method of stopping it. Firstly, don't buy any skis that are considered trendy. if possible get skis that are last years' model. Secondly, the minute you get your nice shiny new skis, deface them. Put stickers all over them, mark down the serial number, and scratch the top surface as much as you can bear. Most skis are stolen for sale - no pretty - no sale.

Volkl P 50's - awful colour - great skis - good example.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, there's absolutely no need for you to apologise. Thieves aren't employed by ski resorts. For your info. the pair of skis was split some distance apart and left outside the restaurant at the top (or maybe it was the mid-station?) of the big gondola.

It was about 12 years ago.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, knackered skis are a sign of a hardcore skier as well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman wrote:
... I fear that's not going to do Anglo-French relations much good!

Especially if the coach party misses a plane.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith wrote:
For your info. the pair of skis was split some distance apart and left outside the restaurant at the top (or maybe it was the mid-station?) of the big gondola.

I have heard of split skis being nicked. There was a case when I was in Val d'Isère last year and the Gendarmerie suggested to the victim that these were expensive skis stolen to order. The thieves wait at the restaurants, watch for the skis they are looking for and see where you have stashed both pairs. There is no problem travelling on the pistes with a second pair of skis - you just have to dress like a racer or say you are a coach if in the unlikely even you are questionned.

There also appears to be a lot of mistakes on public transport where people take skis that they thing are theirs (especially if they hire), the most amusing case I heard of was a lady who had Rossi 9S (the curly pointed ones) she ended up with two left skis, her 168 model from the previous season and a 170cm model from the current season. She had to ski back and said it was very difficult.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
There is no problem travelling on the pistes with a second pair of skis - you just have to dress like a racer or say you are a coach if in the unlikely even you are questioned.

Or even if it's pretty obvious you're neither Confused , parents of racers do it all the time. You don't half feel stupid when you fall over though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
I have heard of split skis being nicked. There was a case when I was in Val d'Isère last year and the Gendarmerie suggested to the victim that these were expensive skis stolen to order. The thieves wait at the restaurants, watch for the skis they are looking for and see where you have stashed both pairs.

I've heard of it as well, sitting on the terrace of a busy restaurant you watch people arrive, split the skis and enter the restaurant. It's hardly difficult to pick the skis up and leave. The value of splitting skis as a deterrent is lost on me, in fact some groups make such a song and dance about it as they arrive the entire mountain's party to the arrangement Very Happy

I've got a lock, it'd stop a half way competent bike thief about 30 seconds but as long as most other people don't have them it'll be a little effective. In fact I just try to keep the skis in view.
snow report
Perhaps the answer is to ski tour in remote locations. If your skis go missing, you can give the rest of the party dirty looks Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy