Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski helmets and daughters!

Poster: A snowHead
Off sking in 13 days (not that I'm counting or anything).
Problem, how to persuade my 15 year old daughter to wear a ski helmet.
This will be our fourth sking season and have seen a number of accidents over this time I've decided that wearing a helmet is a sensible thing to do.

Someone here must have been this route with a fashion/image aware daughter.

PS. Site is great.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scud, welcome to snowHeads (!), most of whom apparently don't wear helmets.

I have to admit that I count myself amongst the majority, and have never persuaded my two daughters to wear helmets (or chastity belts - no, I didn't write that).

You are, of course, right. And in a just a few years we'll share the joy that our daughters are independent adults for whom we have absolutely no responsibility.
In the meantime, have a look at SkiHelmets.com with her, and she might find a colour she likes!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could try leading by example
Quote:

I've decided that wearing a helmet is a sensible thing to do.

Does this mean that you will both be wearing one?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Point her towards those pictures with someone throwing themselves off a 160ft drop and the fact they are wearing a helmet (because it'll really help if they fall 160ft onto their heads!!?).
I wear a helmet - I'm sure the "helmets make you dangerous" crowd will love this, but when you've got it on plus a backpack and some twin-tips you do feel pretty hard-core!! (even if, as in my case, you're not really!) Cool

The alternative is to do a lot of skiing in the trees - this where Mrs H realised the benefit Shocked snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scud, like Frosty the Snowman says, you need to wear one yourself for a start.

It's pretty cool to wear a helmet now, it seems more than half the skiers/boarders under 20 wear helmets. Look at Giro (http://www.giro.com), they've quite a range.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just had a look at skihelmets.com and think this one is great! Madeye-Smiley Laughing

Personally, I've got a Giro 9 which is one of the best looking ones I reckon (being a person very aware of how silly the wrong helmet can make you look!). You can get them in all different colours to go with your outfit. Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowy wrote:
I've just had a look at skihelmets.com and think this one is great! Madeye-Smiley Laughing

You can get them in all different colours to go with your outfit. Smile

mmmmm.... nice!! Cool
Will that one go with your outfit? snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scud-I can only wish you the very best of luck!!I have 2 daughters(7-18 ) and one son(12).The 7yr old has worn a helmet from her 1st lesson,now considers it part of her kit.My son will wear a helmet if I insist on it,although he's not exactly enthusiastic.18yr old daughter,not a hope in hell Twisted Evil Obviously,as she's 18 the 'know it all' factor is well to the fore.That,and the coolness thing.No doubt the fact that I've never worn a helmet has a strong bearing on it as well;though she is wise enough not to mention it!!Personally I doubt if the sensible persuasion route will work,teenage daughters rarely fall for that one.Plus,as you are obviously an old man(in their eyes)you have no idea what you are talking about wink As ise suggests,focus on the cool image thing.Find a few pics with young,fit,extreme types hurtling off rails and cliffs c/w helmets.If there's a park at your resort,take them up there to watch.Bound to be a few tanned ski gods flying around,hopefully with helmets on.And,if all else fails,relax!!Yes,I know people get hurt,some of them badly.But its a numbers thing.Statistically the odds are very much in your favour.But don't let this get in the way of common sense.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stuarth wrote:
Will that one go with your outfit? snowHead

Not really. Maybe I should buy a new outfit. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not a hope in hell Razz

God you parents really over analyse things!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith - Thanks. Re chastity belts, I lost on that one too.

Frosty, ise - yep. thinking about the Giro Fuse or 9.

Snowy - I agree.

Nadenoodlee, - I know & No.

All, - Thanks for the input, but I know I'm on a hiding to nothing on this one. Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Your daughter, and the rest of the family is probably in greater danger driving down to the Alps at 90 mph or hurtling round those icy bends on the way to resort. Do you wear helmets then? I thought not. I am a worse than middle aged woman, and I do wear a helmet, though only when I board, because of the crashes. I don't wear one when I ski. Yes, it would make me a bit safer, but so would wearing it when I drive down to the Alps four times a year, and I don't wear one then either. People are funny about risk. I often see mums and dads cycling helmetless round our village with little kids, in helmets, on bike seats. Do they think it doesn't matter if the parents receive a brain injury and can't look after the family any more? Any kind of cycling and most kinds of driving are more dangerous than ski-ing. Mind, I was once wearing my helmet when a careless skier with great planks over his shoulder turned round and socked me very hard. Without my helmet it would have hurt like hell. There again, some of the worst ski holiday accidents, especially broken wrists, occur when falling on icy pavements. We could all reduce the risk by wearing a helmet and wrist guards. But I don't suppose we will.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm sure Giro must be delighted with the support they're receiving, but our News thread about their cellphone-wired helmets does cast doubt on their safety commitment.
This is no anti-Giro message but it's probably a good idea to check out the competition, because the investment in buying a helmet is serious (as I mentioned recently, cycle helmets are far better value).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowskisnow wrote:
Find a few pics with young,fit,extreme types hurtling off rails and cliffs c/w helmets

About as much use a choc ice in a desert. Helmets dont look cool, they never will, dont even go down that route as you'll just get laughed at
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never been in a desert but I imagine a choc ice would be rather pleasant.
Don't think it's a lost cause, fashions change all the time.

My son wears a helmet as he's not allowed on ramps & rails without one. He decorated it with stickers he got at freestyle camp and he's very happy wearing it He's 10 and I'm hoping he will keep it on for jumping & rails. He's even been persuaded to wear Dianese waistcoat.
I won't insist on him wearing it on a piste, though he might do anyway.
ski holidays
[quote="Nadenoodlee"]
snowskisnow wrote:
Helmets dont look cool, they never will, dont even go down that route as you'll just get laughed at

You obviously haven't seen me in my olive green Giro nine.9 (or 9.nine?). My kids tell me that I look no less cool in it than not in it.

I do not believe that it's possible to make a 15 year old girl wear a helmet. My kids (10 years old) wear them, but they always have, and they've always skied in N.America, where most people under 25 seem to wear them, and a fair number older. That may be your only hope; ski in N.America, and the teenager's need to conform with the pack might do the rest.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 6-12-04 17:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Keep "accidentally" hitting on the head with your ski poles, the chairlift bar, etc.
snow report
I always wear a helmet - I'm rather attatched to my brain! Most serious skiers and boarders where I ski seem to wear one, possibly due to being in N. America, as richmond, suggests? A friend of mine, who is a ski instructor and always wears his helmet, told his 13 year old daughter that she couldn't ski if she didn't wear hers - it has worked, but then she is passionate about the sport. And she is one of the 'cool' kids who hang around in the terrain parks all day - does help that she's also a fantastic skier.
snow conditions
ok, well when i first went skiing, i woz 16, im a lad tho [ so according to mum, i know it all]

n e way, she didnt even ask me to wear a helmet, i didnt even think twice about wearing 1, not that i would have any way.
there is no doubt i would have been safer with wrist guards, helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, etc etc....

i actually did have to wear a helmet on the last day, we had a giant slalom race to do.
i found that when we were en route to the slalom piste, the helmet got a bit annoying, and made me head itch.

but most of all, i looked like a fool, and for this reason, the only time i will ever wear a helmet again is if i am doing a race
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Your daughter, and the rest of the family is probably in greater danger driving down to the Alps at 90 mph or hurtling round those icy bends on the way to resort. Do you wear helmets then? I thought not.

No, because I sit in a car with a safety cage and air bags and I happen to know that head injuries are not a major cause of fatalities in car accidents and that where they are helmets wouldn't mitigate the injury. If, for example, I were on a motorcycle I would wear a helmet because it would be safer.

The point that you stand more chance of injury on the road on the way to go skiing is quite valid, it's also what we used to reckon when I used to climb a lot more. It's irrelevant to whether you wear a helmet skiing or climbing though..
ski holidays
are you going to get a hans device for your car then?

Neck injury's are very common in even quite slow car crashes.

I advocate a spike where the air bag is kept, that would mean fewer car "accidents".
latest report
No, I'm not, but when I wear a helmet skiing or climbing I don't go around like a lunatic seeking injury personally. When I drive a car I don't drive into solid objects assuming the air bag will save me.

I can't disagree the apparent safety of cars seems to make some people drive like lunatics though Very Happy I can believe a certain percentage of helmet wearers behave the same.
latest report
Scud, I would suggest sitting down, talking to her like an adult, and asking her opinion on helmets first. Listen to what she says, it will probably have a large element of truth in it. After discussing it with her, if she is receptive to the idea then offer to buy her one (of her choice), if not then just leave it. Some of the suggestions above are frankly patronising, and she'll see through them in no seconds flat. In order to set an example, you have to wear a helmet at all times yourself. If you try to force the issue with her (by whatever means, no matter how "devious") you'll just back her into a corner where she will not feel able to give in.

At the end of the day, she is fifteen, a young adult, and at an age where she can (and should) assess risk for herself. You cannot protect her from all forms of danger, and neither should you, it would be bad for her development. We have to let our children make their own mistakes, and if not wearing a helmet is the worst of them, then you'll have got off extremely lightly indeed.
ski holidays
I've already done the sit down and talk bit, her opinions are a mis-mash of contradictions (as I would expect from a young adult), "I wear a helmet when riding a horse because I may fall off, but mainly because the riding instructer won't allow me to rider without one". And no Nadenoodlee I'm not being patronising towards her!

But she has said that she would like to come with me (this weekend) when I go to buy mine, so there's still some hope.

Quote:
a spike where the air bag is kept,

a tad hard on the innocent driver on the correct side of the road when another driver makes a mistake/poor judgement. Oh, we'll back to reasons to wear a helmet when sking - the other driver!

Cheers team.
snow report
Scud, I was only pointing out that you dont think your being patronising, but at that age she probably thinks you are.

PS teenagers only like talking to friends, not parents as a general rule. All rationality goes out the window.
ski holidays
Scud, I think that she has a point. Helmets are viewed as almost being compulsory (apart from the queen!) in horse riding, because it is such a dangerous sport, far more dangerous than on-piste skiing. On piste skiing, is comparatively safe, and so helmets are not veiwed as being compulsory, probably for good reason.
snow report
Kramer, it's the accidents I see on piste that make me want to wear a helmet Very Happy
latest report
i've got myself one for this season, i think i'm just following all my other activities(motorcycling, mountain biking)and i'm a tackle tart!! It's my helmet and i'll clean it as much as i like. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm going to try wearing one this winter for the first time-Mr Snowbunny says I fall over too much. At worst it will keep the ears warm, they tend to flop out of the hat. snowHead
snow conditions
Scud, No chance, I wont wear one and i am *** old, if your daughter is fashion concious afraid you wont change her. You have to remember youngins these days have no fears not like us caring parents who look out for them more than we do ourselves snowHead
snow report
Oh ho! Lots of opinions here, and we're nearly all in agreement that wearing a helmet is a good thing. It definitely is, but whether you can persuade a 15 year old to wear one depends on their skill level. If they can realistically relate to the possibility of freeride or freestyle then it's an easy sell - it's dead cool to wear protective gear, including a helment. Cool if she's only an intermediate skier, with no ability to relate to top skiers then I think you're on a hiding to nothing. Sad

BTW I don't wear one myself (largely because I'm afraid of putting off nervous clients), but we're inundated with Spanish this week and nearly all of them are wearing helmets.

I insist that all youngsters under 13 who ski with me wear one, and many try to get out of it - but just like the riding school "no helmet - no ski".

By all means show her this post! I had my jaw broken in 3 places a few years ago, and my rotten teeth are testament (to say nothing of ongoing whiplash etc). A reular helmet might not have helped, but a slalom one certainly would have. Cool
ski holidays
I'm not sure that the case for helmets in skiing is a proven one. A lot of the case for them seems to be based on anecdote and conjecture. It certainly isn't an overwhelming one.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
I'm sure Giro must be delighted with the support they're receiving, but our News thread about their cellphone-wired helmets does cast doubt on their safety commitment.
This is no anti-Giro message but it's probably a good idea to check out the competition, because the investment in buying a helmet is serious (as I mentioned recently, cycle helmets are far better value).

Here (Switzerland) CP-Helmets are much, much cheaper, like towards 50% of the cost. They conform to all the relevant safety standards of course. I'm not sure they're on sale in the UK though yet, but for anyone coming over here they're readily available, most sports shops stock them (not Migros yet though). Mrs Ise and I have just bought some and I'm pleased with them, better than my older helmet.

In France the Decathlon branded helmets look pretty good as well.
latest report
easiski, it's interesting you say it can put off nervous clients, you're saying it looks a bit hard core? That ought to be enough to get every teenager and wannabee wearing one, I know I do Very Happy
snow report
In N.America, wearing a helmet is definitely a statement that you're a cool dude who skis everywhere, jumps off cliffs and so on (for teenagers, that is; I'm making a radically different statement when I wear one).

Another thought; is she interested in boarding? Loads of boarders wear helmets, and that might get her used to the idea.

I shouldn't worry too much; the incidence of serious head injury while skiing is no tso great as to represent a serious threat to anyone's well being. Skiing through trees seems to me to be the one time when you really should wear a helmet.
snow report
Lady luck has a huge part to play. I know a fellow who fell on ice at the bottom of an ordinary piste, doing about fast walking speed, banged his head on the ground, and nearly died of the resulting brain haemorrhage. 4 months in a Swiss hospital. But we all know of or have seen horrendous falls where no injury occurs. Young kids have softer skulls, but late teenagers are surely at the same level of risk as us oldies.
snow report
ise, I agree with all your points.
ski holidays
Tim Brown wrote:
ise, I agree with all your points.

Don't worry, that'll pass fairly quickly.............

Welcome to Snowheads !!!
ski holidays
Toofy Grin
snow report
ise, I don't KNOW that it will put off nervous clients, but I suspect it would. There I am trying to persuade them that ski-ing is safe, and I'm wearing a crash helmet - it would sort of destroy the message! When wearing helmets is more common in Europe I would definitely wear one. The hard core all wear them though don't they? Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy