Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arc 1800 etc

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, in the ONLY decent chat site left. 5 people looking to go skiing Christmas 2004, and on price/size of ski area alone Arc is looking good. Like idea of train (used recently to La Plagne) for 8 days skiing. NehNeh Anyway, where is best, looks like 1800 for bit of apres ski. Is that correct. The two beginners in group need, I think, to experience the whole ski thing, particularly the sociable side of things. Any recommendations???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arc 1800 is a good choice. There are a couple of free beginners lifts in 1800, which is nice. I like the appartments, you could get 5 into a 1 room duplex which will cost about four hundred+ quid. So should be okay at Christmas (although this year it was pretty thin).

Apres? Lots of restaurants, a couple of clubs. Try these places in 1800: Chez Mathieu, l'Ambiante, la Santa Line.

The pistes are some of the best in the French Alps. The buildings are almost invisible when you are above the resort and I personally think the architecture is fine. A bit of walking to go from one side of 1800 to the other. Also less convienient when you come by train as you have to transfer by bus from the monorail (or ski across as we did Happy )

Paradiski pass is a bit of a waste of time if you ask me, maybe do a day in la Plagne but this is no 3Vs, you'll take an age getting across. There's plenty of skiing in Arcs for a week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that. Sounds like an ideal starter for the two newby's. Hadn't ever thought of it until I saw the size of the piste net work and price of the apnts, not bad all round I thought. Just had a look at the Les Arc web site. Have to say, one of the better ones, even giving prices of apnts etc. Even with Funicular, sounds easier than a transport bus from an airport. Thanks again
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would Les Arcs be OK in April? I'm still hoping for that sneaky 3rd week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Usually is, yes. But who knows these days. If the likes of Les Arcs isn't safe, nowhere is! The programmed closing date for the resort is something like May 5th if I remember right.

And although I understand SM's comments about the Paradiski area, and have yet to explore much of it myself, I'm told that some of the blacks on Bellecote itself and over the other side at Aime la Plagne are genuinely challenging, not to mention the off-piste possibilities around them. And various routes down the North face of Bellecote make up some of the "must-do" descents in the Alps. A good intermediate/expert should be able to get across early on the 'one day of the week' version of the Paradiski pass and make it worth his while.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not done my homework on this resort, but as far as I can work it out:
Les Arcs now linked with La Plagne forming Paradiski but you get a day in LP anyway with standard pass. This is adequate access to LP for most as Les Arcs is plenty for a week.

Am I getting this right PG?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Bish wrote:
Not done my homework on this resort, but as far as I can work it out: Les Arcs now linked with La Plagne forming Paradiski but you get a day in LP anyway with standard pass. This is adequate access to LP for most as Les Arcs is plenty for a week.

Am I getting this right PG?

Just back down from Les Arcs, changeover day so relatively quiet, freezing cold but no wind, and sunny, so great conditions. Pistes have taken a bit of a hammering but there's still plenty of powder around if you know where to go!

As for the passes, there's quite a few combinations, but to sum up you can either stick to the Les Arcs mini domain pass (no access to Peisey-Vallandry) ie only part of the Les Arcs domain proper, ideal for beginners, or get the Les Arcs full domain pass (which, if I remember right ,if you've got a six day pass allows you to pay a spot surcharge to go across to La Plagne, but which is not included in original price). Or you can get two versions of the Paradiski pass - either the top price pass which means you can go where and when you want anywhere in the Les Arcs/La Plagne domain, or you can get the Paradiski 'Discovery' pass. Now it gets really complicated! With the latter you have say a six day full Les Arcs domain pass and can spend 1 day only, between Sat and Tues, in La Plagne. You can also get an 'Espace Savoie' extension to the Paradiski pass which allows you to drive off and spend a day somewhere like Tignes or Val or Courchevel during your stay. Don't know if you pay extra or not for this - perhaps not.

Told you it was complicated!

You're right Chris, if you're an average skier, there for a week, the Les Arcs full domain pass is probably enough.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Erm! I think I've got that. Just picked up a bargain week with Igluski for 11th-18th April so Les Arcs now of massive interest to me. Just me and my 14 year old son. We will be Km hungry and doing long days.

Any suggestions or info gratefully received. We are reasonably confident on reds and don't like to hang about but not exactly elegant.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perhaps see you there that week! Except might just be down in Puy St Vincent (southern French resort) for a couple of days with the D.H.O. that week for the English Children's Championships. They follow straight on from the British Children's Champs - this year in Méribel - the latter having been in Austria for the previous few years.
If you need any info at all about Les Arcs, just let me know...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Would be great to meet up. I'm a bit short of details at present as to where we are going to be. I see from your site that the speed skiing is on our week!

Update edit. Further research finds us at the Chalets des Neiges by the Whistler pub in 2000.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No problem! Do you know which part of the resort you're being put up in? They do tend to leave you a bit short on info for the bargain deals! We're sure to be around for at least the latter part of the week... five 'kids' 8 to 22 in tow, various levels of ability from 11 yr old racer (trainer's nickname the "feisty flea") to mad 8 year old off piste jumps and bumps seeker to 16 year old 'main thing is to look cool on the piste' girl, a 22 yr old daughter who hates heights, and a 21 yr old lad who used to but was cured by having to trail around behind the racer and didn't want to look silly.... So we tend to scatter around a bit... the two-way Motorolas are a must!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tell me about the cool bit! My son is 14 and a bit of a poseur. He skis better than me though by some distance, though he is only just getting back up to speed after a bad accident.

Are you missing any Staffordshire delicacies? Curry for example?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not so worried about the curry, but I miss the people - wasn't born in Staffs, but it was the friendliest place I've lived in the UK without a doubt...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We seem to have hi-jacked this thread!

I'm being dragged off to inlaws in Tamworth. I'll do some homework and get back to you with more niggling detail questions I expect. Half the fun of skiing is the worrying beforehand. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris - stayed at Chalet des Neiges in first week of Feb. Any specifics - then get back to me - otherwise a quick overview...
Although its called a chalet - its like a big apartment block - separated into 'chalets' that are run by different companies. We were in a Ski Total one - Chalet Bordeaux.
The swimming pool and steam room are great at the end of the day - but the changing rooms situation is bizarre as there are no doors so can see in from the corridors! There's also a gym and sauna in a different part of the building but I never made it there - after hearing it was a 'european' sauna and you were very likely to run into naked europeans!
Arcs 2000 is fantastically placed for skiing runs - easy blues close to resort and some fantastic reds as you get a bit higher. The recommendation would be to ski over the 1800/1600 side in the mornings in the sunshine, but as snow quality deteriorates in the sunny afternoons head back over to 2000. (Favourite red and black was Grand Col on Arc 2000 side, Aigulle Rouge has a tricky start but is a fantastic long run down to Villaroger)
The resort itself is pretty quiet a few bars and restaurants - but nothing exciting. They do night skiing on Tuesdays and Thursdays off the Marmottes lift which is fun. Also theres ski biking which a couple of people had a go in the chalet at - and they said it was a fab experience.
latest report
Much appreciated advice, mountain mad, . I'm also glad to see this thread has gone public again.

I am a naked European beneath my clothes, but if you see the "tubes" thread you will know that I am rather bulky, so must spare Europe me in the buff!

We are going with ski total. Do you know what days they guide? And what pass did you buy?

Just how tricky is the long black?
I'm normally only brave enough to do black on the last day, but seem to survive them, but it's not a lot like skiing. I end up feeling guilty I've side-slipped all the snow off it.
latest report
Ski Total/Esprit guiding is on Monday and Tuesday. Say hello to Fast Chris - from Anna, Laura and Kirsty! We had enough people for 2 groups - and separated them into boarders and skiers... Alternative to Fast Chris was the 'Lovely' James. Really good fun...
The long black is only really tricky at the top - where its quite narrow as it winds its way round the peak of the mountain - then its really a red run for the majority of the run. My solution was to do the tricky top section with my instructor who picked a line that I followed. Would suggest having a go in the morning - before the crowds arrive from 1800 and La Plagne and the bumps won't have formed too much yet. Alternative is to start the run halfway at the top of the Lanchettes lift.
snow report
One of the longest 'blacks' in Europe.... I agree it's not really that testing in most parts, but the very first time I tried it I went down with a fit, expert, but too-enthusiastic local trying to show me how it ought to be on the World Cup downhill circuit.... the descent was virtually in a straight line, top to bottom. I decided that under some circumstances it could qualify as a black, after all!
ski holidays
I did it a couple of yers ago-quite scary at first, but not for lond, although further down it was a bit churned up and bumpy.
snow report
Isn't that the way it's supposed to be skied PG? For the real longest black in Europe go to Alpe d'Huez and ski the Sarenne. Again not the most challenging, but stunning views in the Sarenne gorge and you can wave to Les 2 Alpes on the way down.

I skied over in Les Arcs for the 1st time last year in January. I must admit I was underwhelmed when my friends suggested it (from what I'd heard from others), though I was very pleasantly surprised and would now heartily recommned it. We were lucky to have stacks of powder and did a lot of great off-piste; pisted runs are also very good. I stayed over in Plan-Peissey which had some great tree lined runs and was a lot prettier; though I imagine that will become overly developed with the new link to La Plagne.

Great resort!
snow report
Monday and Tuesday guiding sounds great. I will be able to get a look around the resort and find (but not see) my feet. Hope to meet up with you, PG, later in the week.
Still confused about lift passes.
My son is infatuated with Val D'Isere. Is it practical to remake acquiantance of said resort using the "one day elsewhere" bit of the lift pass?

The description of the black winding round the top of the mountain seems to suggest I should stay in the bar....
ski holidays
How are you getting to BSM? We go up to Tignes/Val once or twice a fortnight, night be able to combine a trip from BSM in the people carrier....

I'll check out the lift pass thing, I'm confused myself. Give them a ring tomorrow.
ski holidays
PG, You are very kind. We are travelling with Ski total on a late booked cheapie from Birmingham on Sunday 11th April and will be getting the package transfer to Arc 2000 as part of the deal.
We are leaving Brum on the 8.10 flight to Chambery, so assuming the motorway isn't too bad on a Sunday, might well be in resort by mid afternoon. I might want a 7 day pass if the sun is out.
Jon (my son) and I had a memorable first ever day's independant skiing (ie not in ski school) at Val in 2001. I think he wants to revisit that memory. I think he is mostly recovered from his accident now, but not 100% by any means.
ski holidays
Another dumb question for PG, and/or mountain mad, . We will need hire skis. Can you get these in 2000? Ditto lift passes (of whatever sort)
snow report
Chris - the Ski Total/Esprit transfer bus can sort out both for you - definitely use it for the lift pass.
We landed just before lunch - but had to wait for another flight to land before setting off for Les Arcs - in the end arrived in resort at about 2.30ish. We didn't bother trying to get an afternoon pass - just used the free lift (St Jacques) Its an old slow one with 2 or 3 blue routes off it so a gentle reintroduction to skiing after a year! Rep brought the ski passes round that evening...
The company use the ski shop that is part of Chalet des Neiges - so very convenient to pick up and then deposit at the end of the holiday. If you know what you want then they might be good - but I wasn't impressed - kept losing my skis - instructor took one look at the settings and said i should change them myself or go back (I was on setting 4 but should have been on 6 or 7 - apparently I'm an aggressive skier!)
ski holidays
Skied Les Arcs for the New Year. Stayed in 1600. You can ski to the link to Plagne in less than an hour from 1600, using only 2 lifts - which means you can be on the cablecar for 9ish from the far end of the resort.

Aguile Rougue - Villaroger has a long, nasty narrow ridge section (it was icy when we did it, and I suffer on paths with steep drops off the side) but improves vastly once off the top section.
snow report
austin7, I'm much more scared of narrow than steep. I'll keep an open mind about the Aguile!

Thanks for the hint on the free lift. Sounds like an ideal way to finish off Sunday afternoon.
mountain mad, you make me feel as if I have done well with getting a trip with Total. Did your hire skis have decent edges? I'm no expert, but I think I can expect a bit of ice at Easter. DIN settings go sky high with my weight anyway!
snow conditions
Chris - Total are the first package operator I've been impressed with. Have been with Crystal and Skiworld before and they are so much better - although I know that at the end of the day its the luck of the draw on the type of staff you have in resort. They were very comparable with an independent operator I went with last year...
Edges - don't know - didn't know about the thumbnail test till after I came back. They had a room where I watched a guy servicing skis - so I'm sure if you know what you want they'll provide you with the right condition equipment...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish, OK, this is how it works (ref. lift passes)

LES ARCS (full domain)

6 days whole Arcs domain adult (14+) : 176 euros
7 days whole Arcs domain " " : 201 euros

If you get six days and want to extend by one day : extra 26 euros
If you want a half-day on day of arrival, ie 6 and a half days : 192 euros total

All + insurance Carré Neige at 2.5 euros per day if required.

PARADISKI Les Arcs/La Plagne

6 days full linked domain adult (14+) : 220 euros
7 days full linked domain " " : 246 euros

If you want to add another day to a 6 day pass : + 36.50 euros

PARADISKI DECOUVERTE

6 days based Les Arcs domain adult (14+) : 190 euros
7 days based Les Arcs domain " " : 215 euros

If (on top of the extras below) you want to add another day in La Plagne other than Saturday or Sunday to a 6 day pass : + 30 euros.

If you want to add either an extra Saturday or Sunday in La plagne to a 6 day pass : + 15 euros.

This pass itself originally includes:

1 free day between Saturday and Tuesday for La Plagne domain, AS WELL AS :
1 free day per stay anywhere, anytime, on presentation of a minimum 6 day Paradiski or Paradiski Découverte pass, to the Espace Olympique Savoie resorts, which are:

3 Valleys - Espace Killy and also Les Saisies and Pralognan La Vanoise.....
snow report
PS all the above can be booked direct on line via the Les Arcs site as well....
snow report
Still sounds like advanced bistronomics to me. All in all I think it's get the full pass and forget about it. It's only about 20 Euros differece.... price of a pint in Courcheval 1850!

Thanks.
latest report
Just to revive this thread for Austin 7, as it has a lot of stuff on the Paradiski rates (ref a recent question of his!)
snow report
You beat me to it. Smile
latest report
Chris Bish, even in Piggy's the drinks were only Eur 14 for a pint! Be realistic now, Courchevel isn't that pricey... Shocked
ski holidays
I've been told off millions of times for exaggerating.
ski holidays
PG and Chris - thanks Smile
ski holidays
Do come and join us austin7, If you look at the thread on "Trips" you will see that a pretty advanced plot to meet up in Val T with other snowheads is going forward. PG is even offering transport!
snow report
Les Arcs, completion in theory for next season…..

- Creation of a artificial lake in the “Zone du Plan”, to boost water reserves, and also double up as a tourist attraction in the summer months….
- Hands free magnetic passes (five turnstiles initially for the Vagère and Transarc, two at the Aiguille Rouge, completion for all main lifts early season)
- A new chairlift, the ‘Grizzly’, at Plan Peisey. MGM and Club Med developments at Peisey, as well as a new 4* residence….
- the next stage of the Intrawest Arc 1950 development.... Confused Work is under way......
latest report
next season ! pah, what about next week ? How's it look ?
latest report
Hmm. Could be a bit warm. Lots of lovely powder yesterday, but couldn't get up there, and have loads of work to catch up on over next couple of days.... Hotter though by the weekend, maybe a bit of snow above 2000m Thursday night...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy