Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Discussion on the Ski Instructors Legal Case in France Thread

Poster: A snowHead
thefatcontroller, I've also heard good things about Spirit 1950. They also seem a generous bunch (one of them gave me and a couple of friends a lift around the lake at Tignes at 4am in the middle of a blizzard back in December, turning around and driving out of his way to get us back to our hotel. Can't fault that! Wink).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Spoken to them on the phone, extremely friendly and very helpful and even better cheaper than what we have being paying through Esprit for lessons Confused (with ESF Mad ) and childcare with Esprit. Cool snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yoda So where is this discussion happening! A site I frequent generally merges the threads when something like this happens. It is a pretty cool way of ensuring that dual conversations don't happen.

Anyway, I have a good experience of the St Anton ski School and have enjoyed skiing when much younger with ESF but it should be absolutely fine to have national qualifications of similar which can be used universally. What would happen if I am told that I cannot get a job in Geology because my A levels are different to a 'Bac' and my Honours degree is different to a French diploma. To my limited knowledge of this subject it just sounds like a restraint of trade.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
plectrum, this thread started whilst I was out climbing my local mountain wink Discussion now continues here only please folks Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
offpisteskiing wrote:
If you don't like the 'French way' then go and work somewhere else!

At the end of the day its just as hard for a French Instructor to finish their Diplome BEES as it is for a Brit...

When I worked in the States I jumped into the PSIA system...it gave a good insight into their way of thinking amongst other things. If I'd done more than one season in NZ I may well have jumped in there too. The days of the Empire are long gone folks, however there are plenty of Brits working quite happily (and legally) in France... Yes you do have to go through some paperwork, but show me something in France that doesn't involve lots of paperwork - mortgage agreements have to be initialled at the bottom of every page of the agreement (in duplicate), my other half is a physio and has to register with the French authorities in order to practise legally over here...

here here....the speed test isn't some anti British thing - it's a requirement in quite a few countries. In Italy you have to pass before you can even teach as a trainee...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
.... purely as a contributory fact, I am well aquainted with a French Major who has 18 years service in a mountain regiment. He is a phenomonal skier on all terrain and all conditions and has an absolute gift for teaching. I should imagine that he can kill from ski in all conditions too, Toofy Grin as I have witnessed in a few exercises that I have been invited on .... Toofy Grin He is training to be a monitor, but has failed his speed test - now for the sixth time I think, by about 400th/sec and has one more attempt to make it ....

I have a feeling that the speed test in France is a selection tool to keep qualified numbers down - regardless of nationality, though it would seem to favour home growns who have exposure to racing from a very early age ....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonnie, Hmm. Agreed it is a test which can keep anyone out, but for me the question - much dealt with on here before, is whether it is a useful test of a good ski teacher, especially when new-school, off-piste, freeride etc etc are so much more cutting edge disciplines these days. Doesn't even seem to translate into brilliant racing results for the French does it?

The trouble is so many of us have seen excellent but also extremely appalling service coming from the ESF that it is difficult not to enjoy it a bit when they seem to be getting a bit of a kicking.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Euro Test is Bollox, i know many awesome skiers, with the Eurotest, who can't teach due to poor attitude based on the fact they have the Eurotest. I think you ned to ski well, for sure, put being personable and aware of the needs of others will bring many skiers further than a simple, shrug of the shoulders and a certificate that says, 'I am fast.' I agree there needs to be a careful selection process, but believe the speed test was invented to ensure only those who grew up on skis, in resorts would qualify, therefore ensuring jobs for otherwise unemployable 'Mountain Hicks'.

I despise the Speed tests, what it stands for, it's elitism and and how it changes the out look of ski instructors. How many of the older, say 40+, ski instructors could pass the Euro test today? NONE, So it's bullshite. End Of.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One of the most important things I've taken out of Canadian and US training is that skiing is more a 'feel' sport than a 'visual' sport.

I advise my students (children and adults) to travel in the same direction as me, to make similar shapes, but NOT to follow in my tracks or mimic my exact movements.

I'm 188cm and with all my gear weigh 130kg.

Even if a student is the same size as me (very rare) if they "follow me" and follow in my tracks then they will not have as good an experience as I'm having and when I walk away they will have learned practically nothing.

The "follow me" school of thought which in my experience is a European teacher centred model is for the most part lazy teaching and smacks of 'look how good I can ski'.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What's that supposed to mean?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
What's that supposed to mean?

In my experience the continental European instructors that I've worked with in ski schools in and outside of Europe teach skiing in a very mechanical way in comparison with N American instructors who facilitate the student to 'feel' their way down the mountain.

And there are 3 very important words at the start of this paragraph 'in my experience'.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
some mis information here... you do NOT have to be an istd to teach in France. Actually quite a few ESF instructors are Trainees going through the French equivalent of BASI known as ENSA. Lots of ESF instructors are level 1,2 or 3 types in training.

They have a 4 level system and the trainees have a time limit to complete all the courses and levels or they are forced out. The poor quality follow me instruction for kids is generally down to the lower qualified trainees with bad english or old timers who are burned out. My wife and daughter have had consistently great lessons from full cert ESF guys.. ask when you make a booking for an ISTD

Also foreign qualification such as BASI, PSIA at ISIA level will allow you to work at a larger ski school like the ESF while you finish your ISTD training. You need to complete your ISIA tests and pass a time slalom race known as Test technique.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow, equally some might argue that the PSIA system (and I know having been there and done that) is somewhat 'fluffy' and focuses more on 'soft skills' and 're-selling/re-booking' than on concrete skiing development. Don't get me wrong I took LOADS of great stuff from PSIA, but my overall impression of teaching over there was lots of 'feel-good' 'hey that's AWESOME dude' at the expense of 'Why not try doing a bit more of this?'

Similarly encouraging people to try skiing lines different to those they normally make on their skis has a HUGE role to play in developing performance...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
some mis information here... you do NOT have to be an istd to teach in France. Actually quite a few ESF instructors are Trainees going through the French equivalent of BASI known as ENSA. Lots of ESF instructors are level 1,2 or 3 types in training.

But I don't think that that's the whole truth is it? Isn't it the case that "trainees" have to be in a centre de formation, where there is a ludicrously high requirement for the number of ISTDs per lower grade instructor, which in practice compels the majority of them to work through the ESF system?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman wrote:

But I don't think that that's the whole truth is it? Isn't it the case that "trainees" have to be in a centre de formation, where there is a ludicrously high requirement for the number of ISTDs per lower grade instructor, which in practice compels the majority of them to work through the ESF system?

That's my understanding, and I believe that the number of ISTDs required was increased this season or last, meaning that one of the Brit ski schools that had reached the (old) threshold no longer qualified. Centre de formation status is reserved for the large ski schools only.

Am I also right to think that the length or time that people without ISTD qualifications can work as Stagieres has been reduced to four years?
snow conditions
I know the ESF is incestial but the STD jibe is a little much guys... Wink (what is ISTD?)
latest report
plectrum, International Ski Teacher Diploma. It's the highest level teaching qualification.
snow report
All French driving instructors have to be able to do a lap of Magny-Cours within 5 seconds of Alain Prosts best lap time. It's a good system.
latest report
chris, Exactly
ski holidays
I have read this thread with interest and incomprehension. I cannot understand why just because someone can ski fast it makes them suitable to be an instructor unless it is as BernardC, says and is just to keep the numbers down and favour the locals.

Ability to do; does not mean ability to teach, so can someone explain in simple terms why you need to be able to ski fast in a straight line to teach skiing?
snow conditions
chris wrote:
All French driving instructors have to be able to do a lap of Magny-Cours within 5 seconds of Alain Prosts best lap time. It's a good system.

The system is designed to keep ex-racing drivers in work Wink
ski holidays
I'm not a fan of the principle behind the Eurotest (or indeed the Test Technique), becuase I believe the important thing whilst demonstating technique is how easily visible it is - this, I believe, is best judged by a course conductor who can tell that you ski very well and also have the skills to demo.

However, let's not forget that it is not the sole criteria to instruct in France - as well as passing the Test Technique and/or Eurotest, you still have to have the instructing qualification to go with it, and one would hope that the conductors of these courses can weed out the bad instructors (although, as I've previously said, that doesn't always seem to happen in France, {however could this be so due to certain language barriers?}).
ski holidays
In my jpb I deal with lots of highly qualified people ie lawyers, architects, civil engineers etc. Some are very good at their job , some are average, some are useless. Same applies to ski instructors. Oh yes the same applies to Doctors except the useless ones are dangerous.
snow report
Of course an interesting parallel to all this is the States, where many resorts have only one ski school run by the same company as the lifts/restaurants etc. Is this protectionism by the Resort-owning Company?
Why do people not cry foul?
latest report
skisimon, I'm going to disagree.

To my eyes ( and I have neither competence nor educational bent) - the Eurotest is no more than ski instruction's equivalent to the 11-plus or SAT equivalent. It doesn't make a good or accomplished instructor ... but it may keep the incompetent away from instruction.

I respect ALL ski instructors ... their monetary compensation is minimal for their skillset and commitment but I do find it ironic ( or do I mean pathetic ?) that it is us Brits who are complaining ( presumably because we are not good enough to pass) --- and we have such an outstanding alpine skiing record -- don't we?

Does noone else think that an improvement in UK alpine skiing competition success ( and basic National competence) might be served by More instructors attaining other alpine nations' standards rather than reducing the standards themselves?

Embarassed
snow report
laundryman, i did say larger schools. wink in the 3 valleys there are 3 schools with the centre status for instance. Magic academy, ski supreme and the ESF. Rob mentioned new generation who applied but were rejected as they dont have enough ISTD's on staff.

This is very much an unfair and protectionist measure eminating from the ESF. I personally dont view the Speed test as protectionism as everyone needs to pass it. but having only certain (typically the ESF) being able to have trainees is a very unfair practice and one that is under threat the moment.

lots of people talk down the french system but it is an environment where an instructor can actually make a living..
snow conditions
Agenterre, I'm going to have to disagree with you NehNeh Very Happy

To my eyes, (which are almost certainly LESS competent and educated than yours) I can't see why someone who is going to teach me the beginnings of parallel turns, side-slides or other 'basic' ski skills, needs to be able match downhill racers for speed?

Sure if I was learning to race gates I'd want an instructor who could , er, walk the walk as well as talk the talk, but IMHO for teachers of most intermediates and ALL beginners, such skills are simply not required.

Along with (I suspect) the vast majority of holiday recreational skiers, I'm not interested in achieving race speeds, and never will be.

Other than for 'race instructors' I just don't see the point of the speed test?
latest report
Axsman, No problem with disagreement ...

My 'personal' choice of instructor will ( in future) alwyas be driven by personal referral / commendation wherever possible.

By way of Thread-drift-ish-ness; I suspect that different instructors have worked better for me in different stages of development. The guy who got me skiing is 'Bit-of-A-Lad' , ex WC and kind of teased me into sking ( He had passed the Euro-test!) !! I know believe that I benefit from Easiski's analytical approach .

Who instructs Bode Miller and Didier Cuche? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre wrote:
Who instructs Bode Miller and Didier Cuche? wink

Probably different instructors, I doubt they'd share a group lesson Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Axsman, Laughing Laughing --- although they do share sponsors wink
ski holidays
Axsman, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
JP wrote:
Ability to do; does not mean ability to teach, so can someone explain in simple terms why you need to be able to ski fast in a straight line to teach skiing?

This debate has had a very good airing on previous occasions so I won't add to here other than saying the Eurotest has nothing at all to do with skiing in a straight line Wink
snow report
rob@rar,
Quote:

I won't add to here other than saying the Eurotest has nothing at all to do with skiing in a straight line

Do you have to ski pi**ed ? Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
T Bar, Puzzled
latest report
rob@rar, clearly you're too young to remember the pre-breathalyser test Laughing
snow report
Yoda wrote:
rob@rar, clearly you're too young to remember the pre-breathalyser test Laughing

I am, but I think I get the reference now. Ta!
ski holidays
Speed tests should be part of instructor training.

The Eurogroup's top level and the Eurotest are a form of trade protectionism, to keep all but mountain folk out, whether they hail from Paris, France or Paris, Texas.

ISIA ("Red") and a more realistic speed test should be sufficient for autonomous ski teaching.
latest report
Duplicate post deleted Blush

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 24-03-08 23:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
slikedges wrote:
Speed tests should be part of instructor training.....

Forgive me, but why?

To teach racing, sure, but to teach beginners? I'd rather have a good communicator, who knows their stuff, and has years of experience analysing pupils faults and helping them correct them, than a hot shot who can ski fast. To start with at least, the emphasis should be on safety and control, not speed shirley?
ski holidays
Axsman, would you be happy with an instructor who can't ski well? Or are you happy for the teacher to be one page ahead of the pupil? The speedtest is a demanding test of fundamental ski technique. I agree with slikedges that the Eurotest bar is set too high , but an objective assessment of core technique has a place in the highest level of instructors qualification, along with other important thinks like an assessment of teaching ability.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy