Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skis for crud

Poster: A snowHead
I currently have some 170 Head Monster 72s.
I seem to be fine with these on piste but have great difficulty in crud. I know this is probably due to technique as when I have followed instructors off piste in crud, they're fine on thinner skis.
However, I'm wondering if fatter skis would be better?

If mid fats do everything well, I don't really see why 2 pairs of skis would be necessary or even practical for that matter when living in the UK and having to travel to the Alps by air.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman wrote:
If mid fats do everything well..........

I don't think they do. Any ski can do everything, but narrower skis are better on groomed runs and fatter skis are better on ungroomed. Everything else is a compromise.

I decide what I ski worst on - ungroomed - and so pick a ski to help in that area, it that case fatter. They're good on everything except really hard or icey pistes.

So for crud, I'd go fat.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think heavy skis ski crud best because they don't get bounced around, they cut through. Personally the best I've tried were my Volant Chubbs - a fairly wide ski. My current Scott Missions have wider shovel and tail and ski crud well, but not quite as well as my Volants. However the Volants were a straighter ski and didn't do so well on piste.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David, you could have a heavy but soft ski that probably wouldn't perform that well in crud. There is probably a magic mix between width, flex in the 360 degree plane, weight, length, shovel length, shovel width, waist, turn radius, exact density of snow etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd say my B2s perform better in crud than most conditions. They plow right through it like a tank. The wide, rounded tips certainly has something to do with this.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, yes, I should have said fairly stiff as well - and yes there are actually many factors but I don't know what they all are. Probably a big shovel doesn't help in crud, which is why my Missions aren't as good as the Volants were.
ami in berlin Yes, tanks are great in crud (I thought some Head Monsters were quite tank-like?)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
72mm ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
what about a pair of Scott's - see HERE wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
its all technique, I could ski through crud on 203cm pencil thin Force9s as long as I got them on edge....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I could ski pretty much anything on 3rd hand hand me down dynastar verts with the faber-castell colouring pencil graphic. I was, however, 15 years younger and some 4st lighter...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
salamon foils
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any ski that will not get bounced around should be ok for crud... A solid position is best. However for crust, a biigger heavier ski to crash through it or a lighter thinner ski that wont break through is required and since you can't really legislate for this, then its technique more than anything.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
edsilva wrote:
salamon foils

worst advice of the day. nothing is lighter/turnier/more easily deflected than foils. If you want a true crud busting charger, just go to bsquads or legend pros. Width isn't the factor, it's stiffness/shovel shape/technique.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GordonFreeman, Heads are heavier than most I've found and stiff too so should be fine. Going along with what JT and DaveC have pointed out, I've got Aztec Pros that are light, have a large shovel and sidecut. They get a proper handful in crud (though not as much as my previous foam-cored Rossis). Even a Mission would be pushing it (just a wider Aztec Pro).

Edit: ...BTW I can't vouch for the technique! wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I found my Kneissl Tankers will plow through pretty much anything.
snow report
My Head Monster 72s and 82s both deal with crud pretty effectively. The 82s are slightly better, probably because they're stiffer and have less of a pronounced shovel. I've used the 82s more often this season, mainly due to lots of powder and soft snow, but the 72s are better in bumps and generally more agile. The 82s are surprisingly agile for a heavy mid-fat, but they are still a heavy mid-fat at the end of the day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy