Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski station recommendation en route to Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

Having an early break in 2 weeks time and unless Avoriaz or Flaine snow
levels pick up, we are off to Cervinia for some decent stuff.

Here's the problem though..... Our flight back is on a Sunday early evening and so to maximise slope time we were thinking of leaving italy
early morning and skiing somewhere on the way back to Geneva for the day (french side of Mont Blanc I guess). Can anyone recommend a handy
place to stop for the day say an hour max away from the airport for
intermediate standard

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome SpeedyK,

Les Contamines is reasonably snow sure and good for intermediates, but probably a shade more than 1hr from the airport.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SpeedyK, The Chamonix valley is not much more than an hour away from the airport. If you were to ski at the bottom end in Les Houches which is practically roadside, it's mostly motorway fromt there. There are other resorts even closer, but if you're coming through the tunnel then it brings you out just before Les Houches, so more time on the slopes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I second Les Houches too. It is the last one before you leave the Chamonix valley and you can actually see the condition of the slope at the bottom. Like Cymru am Byth said it is dual carriage way all the way to the airport.

Les Houches may not have snow all the way to the bottom in Mid December though.

Also I would allow at least 1:15 to 1:30 travelling time myself from setting off from Les Houches. The road is generally clear but you do have to cross the France/Swiss border check point.

For snow sure skiing you have go back to Chamonix direction to try La Flegere. That will add 15 minutes to the journey time on top of (about 1:30 to Geneva with no jam). Grand Montet in Argentere can be had for another 10 to 15 minutes up the valley.

I wouldn't recommend to go to Brevent because it necessitates going through Chamonix and up some steep and narrow roads. Les Houches, La Flegere and Grand Montet are just off the main road but I would spare a bit of time to search for Grand Montet unless you know where it is. Brevent can be accessed via a cable car link from La Flegere.

Flaine is pretty close too coming off from the first motorway toll booth after you leave Chamonix valley en route to Geneva. It is a possibility but unless you can park near Les Caroz it is a long drive round the winding roads. Chamonix valley from start of the tunnel is majority dual carriageway and fast roads.

You can do Courmayeur too on the other side of the Mont Blanc tunnel coming from Cervinia. Courmayeur is next to the main road literally a stone throw from the Italian side of the tunnel. The drawback is you can't ski to the road side and have to take the cable car down.

In this respect if snow is there you can ski from top of Les Houches into the car park, throw the skis into the car and hit the French tolled motorway in 10-15 minutes.

It is a good solid hour drive after leaving Chamonix and travel on motoway only to Geneva airport assuming the maximum legal limit. From memory the motorway section is between 90 to 100km. The distance between the Tunnel exit to the Sallance, which is the first town after chamonix valley, is 17 miles and unsuitable to average above 50mph.

I have skied several seasons in Chamonix valley and had to pick up and return my brother family (from Norway) to Geneva airport.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 2-12-04 12:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If the snow's good, there are places to ski in the Juras, just north of Geneva. Also, if you go over the Grand St Bernard and through Valais and then Lausanne to Geneva (not the shortest route, I think), you can stop off at any of the places in Valais en-route.

But the Chamonix side is probably best.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Saikee:

That's a load of great information I really appreciate this, I think if Les Hoches is
close to the road and it looks good we will do that, otherwise push on up to Flaine.
The 4 of us are on 3 different flights with only one of us really pushed for time (not me wink
It's always are wrench when you have to leave before the lifts shut (why do you
always have a skill breakthrough on the last afteroon rolling eyes ?)

Another question if anyone knows.. If we are driving from GVA wednesday night
at about 9ish to Cervinia, do you think 3 hours is about right? (assuming good weather) Or will we be throwing pebbles at the Hotel window at 2 in the morning

Thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd avoid the courmayeur recommendation as you are going on a Sunday..........that is unless you plan to get there and to the front of the lift que by 9am, otherwise it could be a long long wait.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's about 1 hr 30 - 1 hr 40 from Courmayeur to Cervinia if I recall correctly (it's the road up from the autostrada that takes the time). Time getting to Courmayeur from Geneva can depend on whether you get stuck behind a truck on the way up to the tunnel, but I wouldn't have thought it'd take you any longer than 1hr 30, even with a hold-up or two.

Quote:
I'd avoid the courmayeur recommendation as you are going on a Sunday..........that is unless you plan to get there and to the front of the lift que by 9am, otherwise it could be a long long wait.

Or get the Val Veny cable car (it's on the road up to the tunnel anyway) and though the Sunday queues exist, I've never missed more than one car travelling from there. Though I'm sure it can get crowded at certain times of the season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SpeedyK, think you're on the right track aiming at Flaine or Avoriaz - I'm out that weekend (Friday to Tuesday) so may be following in your tracks!

If Avoriaz and Flaine are not good, I doubt that Les Houches will be any better - Les Contamines holds the snow well but that doesn't help if there hasn't been much! If you are confident intermediates I would suggest Argentiere to go high (but leave extra time for driving back down - it will be busy Sunday afternoon), otherwise Courmayeur.

Anyway, keep your fingers crossed and it will all turn white before then...

Also keep an eye on La Clusaz - in common wind/pressure combinations the bowl at La Balme (great and not-too-extreme off-piste but take note of the local avalanche risk) can grab much more snow than you might expect from the altitude and they often open the sector before the rest of the resort as it's popular with the locals.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SpeeeyK, I think you ought to let the hotel know you could late. Getting out of Geneva Airport and on to Autoroute is straightforward enough but how much time have you allowed in Geneva to pick up your hire car? Some of the hire car desks are not manned full time or shut at about 8pm. You should get to Chamonix in about an hour, allow another 30mins to get through the tunnel and then about 90 -100 minutes from Courmayer to Cervinia. I'd echo the comment about skiing Courmayer on the way back, park at the Val Vemy cable car station, get there early enough and you should be able to pack in a reasonable day's skiing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy