Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big Dumps Thurs/Fri in the French Alps????

Poster: A snowHead
Can any of our regulars from down that way confirm this?? (PG, etc)

Just been looking at the La Plagne forecast,

they are forecasting about 50cm at 2250m

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/La-Plagne.0to3mid.php

and getting on for a metre up on the glacier

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/La-Plagne.0to3top.shtml

Here's hoping! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I really do hope so for you. But..................

Look at this site and it currently says that they'll get 2cm on Friday!

Go figure?! Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I believe the one that says the most snow!
:fingerscrossedsmilie:
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Today's forecasts from Meteo France and from ChamonixMeteo have no snow until at least Sunday, wih the freezing point around 1900-2500 metres. Snowforecast.com always seem to over-estimate when and how much snow will fall.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowing heavily here around PSV... snowHead

Snow forecasts prediction for PSV from earlier in the week were about right...see my posting and picture under PSV ready to go.

Hope this brings a little happiness! wink

Pete@alpsun.com
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Isola2000 has got a pretty good dump over the last few days and I will be in Cervinia for the weekend and so far that's looking amazing. Wet and really overcast in Nice today so more snow heading up the southern alps direction I'd say.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lots of snow here in Serre Che and lots more expected for the next few days.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like a repeat of last season with the Southern Alpes leading the way again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kuwait_ian, Serre Che webcams are covered in a thick layer of snow across the lens , snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chris, you couldn't do Helen, a favour and pop up there and give those lenses a wipe? wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh! Looks like you already did Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mark Hunter wrote:
Oh! Looks like you already did Laughing

wow what an annoying web page. Mad Resizes my browser to the max screen size. Why do content creators do such things?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Diarmuid, I know what you mean!! Won't be visiting that site from my desk at work again Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Today's forecasts from Meteo France and from ChamonixMeteo have no snow until at least Sunday, wih the freezing point around 1900-2500 metres. Snowforecast.com always seem to over-estimate when and how much snow will fall.

I agree with Chamonix Meteo. If you look at this chart (posted 10:57, Thurs)

http://131.54.120.150/GifImages/metsatanal.gif

You will see that the depression is moving down over Spain. This will mean that the winds will wheel down over the Southern Mediteranean and maybe Algeria and will be warmed considerably. They will then head north, picking up moisture over the sea (Foehn).

The alps consist of a lot of east-west configured valleys. As they hit Southern France they will rise up over the Martime Alps, cooling and leaving rain or snow at altitude (adiabatic cooling) on the southern slopes, as they drop down the northern slopes the dry air will warm. This process will be repeated with each mountain barrier. Depending on the strength of the storm the Ecrins/Col du Lauteret/Col de la Croix Haute is often enough of a barrier to stop the snow.

So... rain or snow in the south, warmer/drier winds in the northern alps.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, very good forecast. Very Happy It also helps explain the locals' rule of thumb that if it's snowy in Courmayeur, it's not in Chamonix, and vice versa.
snow report
skanky wrote:
davidof, very good forecast. :D It also helps explain the locals' rule of thumb that if it's snowy in Courmayeur, it's not in Chamonix, and vice versa.

Forecast is too strong a word, more a general overview of what may happen.
ski holidays
davidof, that's a pretty good definition of a weather forecast. wink
snow report
bug, looks like their forecast was just a bit optimistic rolling eyes
snow report
Mark Hunter wrote:
chris, you couldn't do Helen, a favour and pop up there and give those lenses a wipe? wink

It's all dark now though............................
snow conditions
I tried to reach the Grand Alp on Monday but there was too much snow to get past the 6 man just off the Vallons. I would need serious snow tyres and chains to get any further in the Jeep, although its good fun trying.
snow report
chris, that's the Prorel (?) lift isn't it? You did well to get that far - some of those hairpin bends must've been "interesting" Shocked
ski holidays
Currently winds seem to be from the SE - broken cloud, occasional shower, not exactly cold.

This 4 day Meteo France forecast sums it up
latest report
PG wrote:
Currently winds seem to be from the SE - broken cloud, occasional shower, not exactly cold.

And apart from a few showers it will probably stay that way until mid-December. There are some low pressures moving across the Mediteranean over the next week but they will tend to bring snow to Italy and the border areas. May be good for Val's world cup.

So probably no good skiing much of the northern French Alps until Christmas.
snow conditions
You need that High pressure over central Europe to move off:

http://meteonet.nl/aktueel/brackall.htm

Should I be worried about latter January, yet? Shocked
snow conditions
davidof wrote:

Can one really be that pessimistic? Surely any forecasting beyond a week is speculative.

You may have made yourself a hostage to fortune there, davidof!
latest report
skanky, What a useful site! Doesn't seem to be any chance of snow though this week.
ski holidays
Snow- Forecast saying 9cm for La Plagne Mid Station tommorrow, I suspect this is 9 squre cm not depth Mad
snow report
This is a reasonable 'general' forecast - providing 7 day forecasts for the Savoie, Haute Savoie, Isère and Hautes Alpes. Not resort-specific though.

http://www.avalanche-net.com/meteo/index.php
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ouch!! There is a bit of a difference in the freezing levels, 4-500metres
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
davidof wrote:

Can one really be that pessimistic? Surely any forecasting beyond a week is speculative.

You may have made yourself a hostage to fortune there, davidof!

A hostage to bad judgement maybe, but as you report elsewhere, even the great Peter Hardy thinks it looks bleak for Christmas now. He probably reads SnowHeads!... actually having read his article again he probably should read snowheads.

Permit me to include a link to the PisteHors snow and avalanche report published on Friday. The Ariege and Andorra are the places to be in the French region at the moment and I just saw a report on Isola on the TV which looks very good.

Still it should all look much better, at least on piste, by next weekend (see Pete's link just above) with the passage of a reasonably strong atlantic low over France from the N/W. (Fingers crossed as I should be getting my season pass).

==========

edited to add info about Isola and weekend snow forecast.
ski holidays
They only look about three days ahead, but I've found them very accurate out here on the western extremities of europe - www.theyr.net
latest report
Latest from the BBC
Looks like good news snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

There has not been any new snow in most European resorts over the weekend, with the exception of Scandinavia and the southern parts of France. The good news, however, is that a large snowfall is expected at the end of this week in most ski areas in Europe, including the resorts around Geneva where snow has been very scarce. Despite this lack of snow at present, there is still some surprisingly good skiing to be enjoyed in the upper areas of most countries, including resorts such as Tignes in France and many higher resorts in Italy and Austria. Things could be worse, although it looks like the snow is coming just in time for Christmas
ski holidays
Middle of last week I spoke to one of the organisers of snow-forcast.com who said that by his own personal feeling, his money was on the 18th Dec for a decent snowfall over the rest of the alps.

I felt like i'd spoken to a particularly high-tech version of the guy leaning on a gate post with a straw hanging out of his mouth, "ay ay, tween me bones an' the way the grass is loyin', oi'd say the eighteenth is when the snows'll come round these parts."
latest report
I just got back from Verbier snowHead , where there are only two runs open Shocked , but both in good condition. Everyone there is talking about the snow on the way this thursday or friday...
latest report
Off to Alpe D'Huez tomorrow until sunday....just in time it seems! although 6cms is hardly anything to get excited about....definitely snowmanable! At least it'll cover the rocks....
latest report
Just got back from Val d'Isere. Of course it could have been better but still some good skiing and even some worthwhile off-piste. Temperatures were warm yesterday but generally holding cold. With the snow guns blasting in most resorts we are still set for decent Xmas skiing if we can get one or ideally two dumps over the next 10 days.
ski holidays
I have been looking at the Nogaps model on FNMOC and It really look like France will do ok over the weekend. About 20cm but looking ahead the next fall will be a week away around the 26th...I hope that is an incorrect reading.
snow conditions
This site has all the publicly available model & FAX outputs (AFAIA).
ski holidays
Just talked to someone from Morgins today and they are very hopeful that it will snow tomorrow ( Thurs)

Oh yeah..!! Just like the reps always say it will snow midweek when they brief you...!!

However, in this case I think they may be right
snow report
If only Churchill et al had been snowheads then D Day weather etc. would have been a piece of wee wee to plan...... I'm with Churchill et al though and getting all my aged relatives to pray for snow and I think you'll all find that by boxing day all my snow will have been and will continue to be delivered.... (to the Tarantaise) snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy