Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Flying Kilometre

Poster: A snowHead
Maybe snowHeads should support Mme PG - as long as she skis for Britain! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ian Hopkinson, Nice thought Exclamation but given that she gets nearly all her training/equipment etc from the French, she'd choose them first if she ever had the chance Evil or Very Mad , GB second. Born in Burton on Trent, dual national maybe, but I'm only her dad and when did anything dads say and think ever count for anything Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years time she'd get better sponsorship and recognition etc if she's number 1 for Britain rather than number 20 or so for France.

I'm guessing it would be easier to be UK number 1 than in the top 20 french for GS/slalom, but I could be way off the mark.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG wrote:
skanky, Cheers...snip....and buy the right equipment, etc etc!! As a result competition skiing is a really exclusive sport in the UK, whereas in the Alps almost anyone can and does do it.

Sounds like the French have a better attitude to it than the Italians. Don't know how that relates to success. My sister mentioned that Tomba came from a rich family and would never have become a pro if he'd come from a less well off background (I know it'll always be an expensive sport). I suppose that as a long they keep throwing up someone like him every now and then, they'll not change (and I'm not saying they should).

Met the British ski team in the old Mark Warner hotel in Courmayeur (when they used the gondola hotel in Dolonne), once. They were all decent people, but again, would not have been there without very well off parents. I guess that, unlike many other sports, it's difficult to know how good someone is until they go, and from this country, that's more difficult.

No idea what other countries are like.

If the it's French support she's getting, then it's only fair that she skis for France (if she ever gets that far).

As I said, good luck, anyways.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Matthew Clarkson, That's about right, only in recent years have Chemmy and Iain Baxter emerged as serious contenders, there have been very few before. The British no 2s would be hard pressed to beat anyone in the top 100 in France. The odds are hugely against even getting into the French team, although slightly easier for women (less of them at that level). Chemmy's a natural at getting sponsorship as well - but then have you seen her looks Wink
http://www.tongham.btinternet.co.uk/chemmy/chemmywitan.jpg
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skanky, The Italians have the rep for being a well-financed federation, partly thanks to the Tomba effect - whereas the French one went bankrupt last year! It's true that when you get to 'break-through' level, starting FIS (international) races, only the lucky few get sponsors and clubs can't send all their hopefuls gallavanting around Europe. That's when private money makes the difference - skiing isn't football, the second-best make very little at all.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll take your word for it (I have very little knowledge of the alpine sports scene), however I am talking about the age groups 4-10(ish), in Italy. The ages my nephew and neice fall (not literally) in.

About football, I support a 3rd division team, and most of them are on less than me, but I take yoiur point. Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, have you come across any prejudice from being British? I'm talking from your daughters point of view here. Or is everything okay because you live in France and (presumably) speak french?

And as an aside to what someone mentioned earlier in the thread about air resistance being a big factor, the swiss ski team blamed their early season troubles on some dodgy ski suits they were pioneering for a japanese company.
They went back to last years suits and are doing much better now.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
markP, Well she left England when she was 2, so speaks better French than English now. Sure you'll get a bit of lighthearted banter at times, but the worst thing about being an ex-pat is when builders etc think you must be good for an extra 10% on top of their standard charge. I've seen Brits/Dutch/Americans etc ripped off big time in Provence where I used to live. Partly their own fault though, too sure of themselves to ask around, get advice from long-term residents, first. As for real prejudice, no, if you're straight with them, respect their way of life and culture, make an effort to use their language, they're more than happy. If there's any tension it's with non-European immigrants, quite a big deal at the moment. The only Brits who are really starting to annoy them are those in the likes of the Dordogne who are trying to recreate a little piece of England where they barely have to speak to a genuine Frenchman all year round....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, thats pretty much what I assumed. Make an effort and all is well.
There's been some pretty negative press this year regarding Brits settling in Chamonix and not mixing or attempting to learn the language.
Nice to hear some facts.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were in Les ARc a couple of years ago when World Championships were on. Needless to say the French fixed it, but the guys we met in the bar (american and Sweish) had had some horrible injuries i the past where their suits had been friction-burnt on o their skin. . Don't I type well after a glass or three? Calloway Crossind half price at Tesco, recommended.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, nah, you can't beat the real thing, that stuff from down under doesn't even come close. When in Rome... a pleasant little vin de Savoie does the trick, though I'm not sure what effect it'll have on your skiing. Does help to lose your inhibitions now and again Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stick to the Vin de Savoie when in Savoie certainly, but in short supply in Tesco. Don't think it'll make me want to do the Flying K though-looks really scary.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easier than it looks! After all, you don't have to worry about turning or stopping... Skullie Neutral Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's what scares me, no turning or stopping. Might send the other half and kids down first. Don't you have to go down that big mogul field first though?
snow conditions
Although 'beginners' start half-way down the KL, access is from the black that runs parallel....
latest report
PG, when do they actually open up the Flying Kilometre to the public? I was there last year but it was closed - maybe too early in the year. I wouldn't mind having a go.
latest report
It's open on and off, depends on conditions - trouble is the piste has to be absolutely perfect to ensure minimum risk, and as soon as it snows/blows a gale the Club des Sports shuts it down, gets out all the special equipment, and starts all over again. Because of the high winds at altitude, followed by a little snow, it looks like it won't open again this week until perhaps Thursday or Friday. It was open for example right from the start of the season, almost continuously, but there's been some really strange conditions since late Jan on and off, and they've had problems.

Just heard the big event of early March has had to be cancelled, the Freeride event, finals of the World Cup - apparently despite getting loads of snow a few weeks back less fell at altitude than between 1600m/2400m and with the recent winds taking away some of what was left, they've decided it would have been too dangerous. Really disappointing, I was looking forward to that....
snow report
Matthew Clarkson, the KL has been open for some days now, so all being well, for your trip, you'll be able to have a go. 11/12 yr olds from club were doing 80mph on GS skis today, so you should have no trouble beating your brother's time!
snow report
Interesting programme on French TV's TF1 last night, with Stéphane Aubonnet, who recently achieved the Flying Kilometre world's second fastest time at over 249kph. Stéphane took 'Vincent', a very average skier with a severe case of speed phobia, from his first terrified and hesitant attempt at a tuck position, to 108kph on the Les Arcs KL piste, via wind tunnel training and a lot of gentle persuasion!

Vincent simply didn't believe he could make it at first (apparently he didn't even come close to that speed in his car!) but by the end he was struggling to find the words to describe the sense of pride and achievement he felt in having overcome his fear, and especially the thrill of the sensation itself, a genuinely life-changing experience in this case.

Stéphane Aubonnet converted to speed skiing from downhill racing, where he twice finished runner-up to the legendary Luc Alphand in the French Nationals. Hopefully the conditions will be just right between Wednesday and Saturday next week in the Les Arcs World Championships, where his goal is to get close to 260kph, taking the current record of 250.70 kph held by compatriot Philippe Goitschel. He described the 'White Fear' as being akin to something between skiing and flying, giving an adrenalin rush that will hook any newcomer to the sport!

(I wonder if there will be any British contenders in next week's competition... see this recent article on the top Brit Speed skiers...)
snow report
After sitting through the inevitable TF1 exploitative piece on child lolitas (pre-teen sluts) the article on the KL was very good and inspires me to look out my 198cm Rossis and to give it a go sometime.

Chapeau to Vincent, who came over as a very sympathetic person, one would actually enjoy spending an afternoon skiing with that guy I think. People would be surprised at just how poor his technique was.

Inspirational.
latest report
An article from Le Point (in France) about the KL

http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/document.html?did=145010
ski holidays
Translation:

It’s the only place in France where the speed trap is there to encourage you to go faster - ever faster. Between the 14th and the 18th of April, during the World Speed Skiing championships which take place on the Les Arcs Flying Kilometre piste, competitors will attempt to beat Philippe Goitschel’s world record – 250.70 kph! Only highly trained athletes, complete with aerodynamic helmet and equipment, can hope to get close to this speed. That said, any skier of reasonable ability can play at ‘rockets’. As soon as the 1992 Albertville Olympics were over the Les Arcs Sports Club opened this run – designed by computer especially for the Olympics – to the general public. It is of course out of the question for debutants at the KL to start from the very top of the toboggan run, which is 1,740 metres long, as wide as a dual carriageway and as smooth as a billiard ball. At the start of the slope, where the incline reaches all of 76%, acceleration is close to that of a Formula 1 car (150 kph in 3 seconds!) However, starting half way down, a good skier can still manage 160 kph after a few runs.

Speed is important, but the sheer intoxication of the sensation is what counts! Such is the philosophy of Jean-Jacques Laplace, who runs the Sports Club. “It has become very difficult to go fast on traditional pistes, they tend to be crowded with skiers. The Flying K is the only place where you can achieve real speed safely.” Each year in Les Arcs some 3,000 amateurs taste the ultimate thrill. There has never been a serious accident. Open at the end of March, when the snow is softer, the run is very safe; skis sink in 2 or 3 centimetres and slide as if on an air cushion. You’re no longer skiing – you’re flying!

(Note: the run does open occasionally before March, as and when conditions are just right)
snow conditions
Space technology hits the slopes....
Quote:
Using technology from Europe's space programme ski maker Rossignol hopes to beat the world speed skiing record at Les Arcs Pro Mondial in France next week. Using skis stabilised by a mechanism originally developed for ESA's Rosetta spacecraft, the aim is to reach an astonishing 255 km/h down the slopes.

Just a touch OTT perhaps?! Whatever, I'll be going along to watch, weather permitting, Thursday and Friday.....
latest report
A friend and I played pool with a couple of self proclaimed American speed skiers last week at Latinos in Arc2000, who were trying to tell us the very top 20 meters was 76 degrees not 77 percent... bit of a difference no?
and we beat them too...
ski holidays
markP, Ah, but did you give it a go (the Flying K)? That's what we all want to hear!
ski holidays
I know this is very tame compared to the flying K, but I just aspire to being able to ski the mountain with style. I don't want to end up looking like a snowploughing, jibbering wreck everytime I come across an icey stretch on a red run. I want to ski the whole mountain well. Its not too much to ask for is it?
snow report
PG, I've just got back on Sat 10th from my trip (leading on a Ski Club family holiday). I carelessly mentioned to the 'head' holiday leader at Heathrow that I'd like at least a morning off to do the FK, and the next thing I know he's told the whole group inc kids on the coach transfer. Talk about expectations to live up to!!

Unfortunately the only day it was open (PG, I hope you'll confirm this to doubtless sceptical snowheads!!) was the Sunday, which being my first day at the resort I wasn't able to organise in time. Also didn't know it would then be shut all the rest of the week due to weather, more snow etc.

One of the kid's groups met a guy on the gondola up to the top whose best time on the Sunday was 185kph, and that's with everyone starting at the half-way point!! He said it felt like you were flying just above the surface of the snow at that speed. Needless to say the kids enjoyed winding me up in the evening with how I stood no chance of surviving etc!!

Anyway, all academic as then closed for the rest of the week. I did ski the course in the deeper snow (with turns!!) and having looked down it I'm not convinced I wouldn't have bottled it at the starting point, but I'll never know. Well, not until next season at least - any chance of a special rate in your apartment in Bourg, PG??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG wrote:
markP, Ah, but did you give it a go (the Flying K)? That's what we all want to hear!

I didn't, but only because I'd convinced myself I wouldn't be able to get down that damn mogul slope on 225 skis!
Anyway as Matthew said it was closed most of the week for one reason or another.
I was also too busy skiing pow!
Got first cable car up the Aguille Rouge on the only proper Blue Sky day of the week after a dump. Heaven...
snow conditions
I'm in Arc 2000 this week. There were speed skiers in all the gear going up today. I suspect They will pracitise today and race tomorrow. The run has been prepared and people were gathering at the bottom. I'm at Vallandry right now but will head over to the other side soon to see waht is going on. Conditions will be perfect today as the sun is out and the piste hard and icy.
latest report
Chris Bish, just PMed you, weather permitting I'm going up to watch (and ski a little!) Thursday and/or Friday. Let me know if you want to meet....
snow report
A few record attempts on Wednesday, one successful by an Australian paralympian (amputee) who clocked 193.34km/h.

Quote:
"You just feel like crapping your pants," was Milton's honest view from the top. "Even for an experienced skier, it's extremely intimidating looking from the start and thinking you've got to ski straight down it.

Milton legs it down ski slope

Great weather for skiing but not speed skiing Thursday, visibility and piste condition have to be perfect and the 2cms of snow overnight meant that the run had to be prepared all over again and further competition postponed. Forecasts for the next two (and final) days of the competition promise more of the same... snow, cloud, sunny periods....
snow report
There's that slope gradient misinformation again in that Milton article.
PG can you confirm that the slope is NOT 76 degrees at the top? It certainly looked
intimidating but not that steep. I reckon its 76 percent.
Surely snow can't stick to something that steep?
snow conditions
The official website states 76%....... can't say I've been up there with my protractor to measure it though Smile . All I can say is that it looks bl..dy steep to me!
snow conditions
Its a crazy slope. I took some pictures of guys running from about the three quater mark, and the slope looks utterly pathetic. when you look back on it from the Varet bubble it looks terrifying!!
latest report
There's a board down the bottom (just past the end of the run-out) which says when it was opened, how much it cost, plus fascinating facts (!) like 150 000 cubic metres of earth had to be moved etc. It also shows the angles/steepness for the various parts of the course. From memory I think it said 38 degrees for the very top section and then it flattened out to 35 odd, but I guess PG being our man on the site can check next time he skis past.

PG's not wrong when he says it looks bl..dy steep though!! (in fact I'm sure my phrase 'flattens out to 35 odd' is somewhat misleading!!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy