Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Conform'able Foot Beds

Poster: A snowHead
Are these really any good? I've got a pair of Technica Rival X9 that are quite comfy when I put them on, though I do get some foot movement. They're a nightmare to get on, though, as the front-top of my foot needs persuading through the curve in the boot.

I've spoken with a few people that have them and they all sya they're great. However, none of them have skied without them in their boots so there's nothing to compare them with.

Anyone had them retro-fitted to boots they've already skied in?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mrs H and I had thermally moulded footbeds fitted for new boots after one days ski=ing. For Mrs H they were miraculous - she couldn't walk after the first day skiing without them but with them skiing was relatively comfortable. My boots were okay without them and I didn't see a great deal of improvement with them.

Obviously foot beds won't make it any easier to put the boots on, if you're having trouble getting them on why not get them out now and give them a good wrench around? Try them on, wander around the house, go on - you know you want to snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hyweljenkins wrote:

Anyone had them retro-fitted to boots they've already skied in?

Yes, I had skied for years in my boots without them.

I have a high instep and occasionally got cramps in my feet, under the arch.

I do not get that now with the footbeds.

More importantly, I believe it helps to better transmit pressure to the ski, using the whole foot (i.e my arches actually do some work now - not just the balls of my feet and my heels).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. As for wearing them around the house, Swmbo would rip my bits off if I did that over her ("our") solid wood floors.

Looks like a trip to my local boot bloke is due. He's already said that he can probably do something to sort the "putting the boots on" problem by drilling and cutting the tongue outer. Sounds harsh.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Sounds harsh.

indeed, tried keeping them warm? If my Technicas are cold (in car boot say) then it's a foot breaking job to try to get them on Sad

I tried a pair of Conform'able footbeds from S&R some years back. Once out on the snow the right foot was OK but left foot in some pain. After 2 days threw footbeds away and re-fitted originals (Technica Icons). No problemo then, except £xx poorer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hyweljenkins, a quick sanity check (possibly mine). This boot has the gated upper cuff one is supposed to open when inserting/removing foot, yes? I understand that you are having trouble getting the foot past the curve, are you pulling the tongue out straight or to the side (away from the gated cuff)?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alan Craggs, Julian couldn't get his boots on for nearly an hour in Canada. They had been in the boot of the car. After that I had them with me in the front seat so they would at least be warmer and more flexible.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Diito for me (and I'm a Julian too). I spent an hour in the lodge at Kicking Horse while the others did two runs because I'd left my boots in the van overnight, they were too cold to get on Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

comprex

Yes, that bit is fine, but underneath that, where two sides of the boot meet, the shell is extremely rigid in comparison. That's the bit that doesn't have enough give. Having just had a proper look, I doubt there's much the guy could do by drilling & cutting, though he's said he'll have a look.

The chap that I'll be talking to is Giles Barton - he used to race for the GB ski team apparently, though I don't know when.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never, never, never leave your boots in the cold!

Also, never, never, never leave them unbuckled when stored!

These are both very important. The former so that you don't have cold feet during the ski day (think how long those boots are going to radiate the cold back to your feet if they are cold when you put them on! If they are warm, though, your feet will keep the insides warm even with the outside getting cold from the air). The latter so that the plastic won't have "memory" of a loose fit around your foot. You'll get a fit with gaps between liner and shell if you leave them unbuckled.

Don't do it! Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Conform'able footbeds and liners are truly excellent but are only of benefit if you are looking for a precise fit resulting in a precise transmission of skier effort. The fit is uncompromising and may not suit everyone so if you are looking for 'comfort' then perhaps you are barking up the wrong tree. Conform'ables are not a pancea for foot pain (though they may solve this) but rather promise a greater economy of skier effort and technique through improved (i.e., closer) fit.

Personally, I am not satisfied with the implicit marketing of these; many people are led to believe that shelling out £45 for a pair of footbeds will stop the pain. Of course this could happen but the causes of foot discomfort are myriad. Inexperienced boot-fitters immediately advise clients to purchase footbeds in an almost automaton response to pain and when this doesn't work other income inducing procedures are invoked. I suppose the trick is to find someone who is reliable, advocated for by others and who can engage in a proper assessment of your feet before corrective measurements are undertaken. If you want to get a precise fit (I personally love them) go for it but do examine your reasons for purchasing footbeds and liners as it is not cheap!

Glad to be back!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In fact, conformables really aren't that good, they're a big level up from what ships in most ski boots, and are probably still, for most people, unnecessary. The problem with them is the fitting process which is a bit ad-hoc to put it mildly, this is compounded by them being done by a bloke called Gary who thinks he's a foot expert but in fact works in a shop. They are moulded to the shape of the foot which may or not match where you actually need support. For that you need someone that has the equipment to do a real foot and stance analysis, like for example Profeet have. Luckily a vanishing small percentage of people require that level of fitting.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got custom-made footbeds. When I skied without them (before I got them), I got really achy feet that felt like I'd been wandering around the shops all day in high-heels. Shocked

My footbeds were fitted by a really experienced ski-fitter and my feet don't even tingle with tiredness anymore. Cool

I've just had the canting on my boot cuffs altered too. I'm hoping that will make my ski boots so comfortable I'll never want to take them off. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was taught how to put ski boots on properly:

1. Put your foot in the boot and bang the heel of the boot lightly on the ground so your foot slips to position at the back of the boot.
2. With your heel still in the back of the boot, give the tongue a strong pull up towards you. Push the tongue back down onto the top of your foot to jam your heel well in place.
3. Shut all the clips on your ski boot as you would normally do. Make sure they all 'clunk' shut nicely and if not, if you have micro-adjusters, adjust them so they do clunk nicely.
4. Go ski snowHead

You're meant to undo the buckles when going up a ski lift after a run but it seems like hard work doing that everytime, so just releasing the ankle buckles is a compromise.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

You're meant to undo the buckles when going up a ski lift

But all your mates moan about having to wait for you to do them up again before skiing off Sad
snow conditions
Well, just had three hours at Tamworth in them, and I'm very pleased to have splashed the cash. No foot pain at all, and a much snugger fit.
snow report
Quote:

You're meant to undo the buckles when going up a ski lift

Why? I only ever have to do that when I've had them very tight for racing or whatever. Pootling around at mach 0 I have them nice loose and comfy whether on the chair or not.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy