Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should Scottish ski lifts be wind or hydro powered?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's a question posed by Peter S on the Winterhighland forum, prompting an interesting discussion - click here - including this fascinating revelation by alan, Winterhighland's webmeister:
Quote:
CairnGorm doesn't have a small hydro scheme, the electricity sold back to the grid is produced by the funicular. As the cars balance each other out, the motor only needs to provide the energy to overcome the difference in mass between the cars. If the down car is carrying more load than the up car, this is negative, ie the motor works in reverse generating electricity.

In other words, if Cairngorm skiers hiked their way up to the Ptarmigan and only took the funicular down, maybe they could generate enough kW to power all the draglifts!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This would only be true if the whole system had no friction in it and were !00 percent efficient in converting electrical energy to kinetic and vice-versa on slowing the cars.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is another theory vs practice.

I have the unfortunate experience to know some hydro schemes have to partially taken out of services because they simply cannot afford the connection charge demanded by the grid company!

If you put energy into the pool some power generators have to shut down. When you demand power instead of providing electricity some power generators have to switch on their plant to meet the short fall. If this is not tightly regulated the whole of the Scottish grid may black out because some snowheads overstay their lunch break in the mountain top restaurant in CairnGorm? Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never mind the grid. Any turbine or wave power plant can be adapted to produce hydrogen. This could be used to power pollution free electric motors when needed. The only down side I can see is having to transport the stuff.

Another thought, a small wind turbine could be attached by some gearing/clutch mechanism directly to the ski lift, reducing its power consumption.

Go on, tell me I'm crazy, I'm used to it! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scottish lifts would then be the fastest in the world !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In that case why not just cut out the electric bit and have sails on the cars! Or on calm days sheep-power (ie ultimately Grass-power). You train them to walk up the hill and load them onto the down-lifts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith wrote:
if Cairngorm skiers hiked their way up to the Ptarmigan and only took the funicular down, maybe they could generate enough kW to power all the draglifts!

Why stop there? Carry on hiking up and you have no need for draglifts at all. Would this be porridge powered?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Biofuel. It's the new black. Renewable and unlike other green energy sources, is pretty cheap to get up and running.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
masopa, welcome back to snowHeads. Long time no see.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball, that's not a baaaad idea at all. It'd mean the Welsh economy could really lift off...... Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A friend of mine tried to start an Upski school in Aviemore a few years ago, using parachutes to go up. Of course now that kite ski-ing is almost mainstream he seems like a pioneer. Pity no-one came for lessons really. Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kuwait_ian, hiya - it's been a while. Courchevel in Jan - hurrah!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy