Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts 1-2 hours from Turin?

Poster: A snowHead
Okay. Help me out here as I have found a cheap flight to Turin in mid January for a Thursday to Sunday stealth mission!

What does everyone suggest?

Don't need a huge resort, the transfer is more important for me at this point.

Figure mid Jan should be pretty snowy.

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
www.regione.vda.it will show you all the resorts in the Val d'Aosta, which is about that close to to Turin (direct buses with SAT, and possibly trains, too). The site's not working at this very moment in time, but keep trying it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter, take your pick, La Thuile, Courmeyer, or Pila are all pretty snow sure and within reasonable distance of Turin.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually, I was just going to come back and recommend Pila as you can stay in Aosta which is probably the quickest and easiest of the transfers from Turin.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys.

I had one of my best holidays ever at Courmayeur, but not familiar with La Thuile (heard of it) and Pila (neevr heard of it). Will research.

Define "reasonable distance" please!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter, Pila is 138kms, Courmayeur 165kms and La Thuile 170kms from Turin airport, so all within 2 hours via the autostrada. Of the three I'd say that La Thuile has the most interesting ski area, it's linked to La Rosiere in France and is probably the most convenient. Most of the accomdation is close to the main gondola out of the village. See www.lathuile.net for more information.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 29-11-04 11:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks David.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter:

Sauze - 1ish hour - easy drive!
Sestriere - 1 1/2ish hours
Courmayeur - 2ish hours - v easy drive!
Montgenevre (spelling???) (France) - 2ish hours
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll add Cervinia, Alagna, in the Aosta valley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter, my suggestions were if you are heading in the westerly (and a bit northly) direction. You can head north and east from Turin and quickly be in the snow but i don't know the times/areas..........possibly Cortina? Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Incidentally, when that link's working (it's still a bit hit and miss for me), if you click on the Turismo link you should (eventually) find a map with every ski resort on the Aostan valley region on it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Milky way can be accessed in 1 hour (easy drive - mostly autostrada) from Turin by car. This would give you access to Sauze d'oulx, Claviere etc. Another 15-20mins gets you to Montgenevre and easy ski-link access to Claviere. A further 15-20 minutes again gets you to Briançon and access to Serre-Chevalier, Puy Saint Vincent.

In decent weather I can do Turin Airport to the Vallouise Valley (where I live) in 1 and a half hours that is just 5 mins from Puy Saint Vincent 1400m.

The map at http://www.alpsun.com/location.htm will give you a better idea of what could be accessed in this area.

Hope this helps.

Pete@alpsun.com
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter, if you're on your own and can't share the cost of the transfer taxi, this may be a consideration.

Check the Turin airport website, as it has details of public transport into the ski areas. If you can work out a way of getting to Gressoney Trinite, at the heart of the 3-valley Monterosa ski area (we did by splitting the taxi cost between 3, which was economical) you're about 75 mins from Turin airport. The hotels in that village are only a couple of minutes walk from the chairlift that zips you up to the Alagna link or the links towards Champoluc, but the Gressoney skiing alone is great for a long weekend and the village is significantly closer to Turin than Alagna.

The guides base themselves in the Hotel Dufour, if you want to explore the superb high-altitude off-piste in that area: http://www.guidemonterosa.com/english/index.htm

Go to the search if you want to see previous threads on the Monterosa skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter, Here's a list of Ski Resorts near Turin I prepared earlier (and no sticky-back plastic either).

What level/type of skiing are you after? I'd suggest Cervinia for Lower to Intermediates, Courmayeur for a good mixture for everyone and Gressoney or Alagna for off-piste. I was there last January and there was snow-a-plenty!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.savda.it/orari_tariffe.htm
snow report
If you're looking for cheap and easy then Sauze is a train ride to Oulx and then a short taxi ride up to resort.
ski holidays
Modane in the Maurienne valley , only HALF AN HOUR from Turin Airport just through the Frejus tunnel, has the Haute Maurienne ski area from there up the valley to Bonneval, and the lower Maurienne ski areas if you go the other way, each with several small resorts. See also the piste maps and the map of the Maurienne I put on there.
You would want to stay in the middle of one of these areas (Val Cenis - an hour from Turin - for Haute Maurienne).

PS In view of comments below perhaps that timing is wrong.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 30-11-04 10:51; edited 5 times in total
latest report
Limone Piemonte isn't too far from Turin and has some really interesting ski-ing. Super little town, with ski-ing at the head of the valley. Found the deepest powder I've ever skied there a few years ago. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
I would go to Cervinia as it has something for everyone. If you have skied a lot and the snow is good then you can chose your line down. Not many people venture off-piste so that is a good thing. Local buses are not good in my experience so unless you can hijack a tour ops bus you may struggle.
If you don't mind where you go, I would go to the closest which would be Pila, I think. Monterosa is remote and you are looking at two hours for the transfer, minimun if you use public transport and then it is not frequent..
latest report
If you are an expert skier Cervinia may not have enough for you (it is inconvenient for the better skiing on the Zermatt side). My old Good Ski Guide says a good skier would be bored after a few days and though I only skied a day or so there I would tend to agree. But for intermediate skiers it is probably great. If you like off-piste the classic is Alagna, a couple of valleys east, below Monte Rosa (but you need a guide there). But as I said, the Maurienne is probably closest and has the Italian access to the 3 valleys (from the 4th valley by Val Thorens).
ski holidays
I'd go to La Thuile, lots of variety. If you stay in Courmayeur there is a ski bus that goes every morning to La Thuile. It is free with your ski pass of three (or it could be four) days or more and the pass gives you the option to have one days ski in either Courmayeur or La Thuile depending on where you want to spend most of your time.
latest report
Im off to Bardonecchia in january and it's supposed to be a 40 minute transfer.
snow report
40 minutes Turin to Bardonecchia is probably possible, but we are talking batmobile speeds here. 60-90 minutes is probably more realistic if the conditions are good...not that it makes that much difference when you you been sat in airports and on planes for 4-5 hours before hand.

Monster half-pipe now in place at Bardonecchia ready for 2006 Olympics. All the snowboarding events will be there.

Have a good trip.

Pete@alpsun.com
snow conditions
Snowball, how in the heck have you managed to get to Modane in half an hour from Turin? As Petel says, it is usually a good 45 to 60 minutes at least to Bardonecchia and then you have the horrible Frejus Tunnel with its 70kmh speed limit (and no air-con). You must be totally out-speeding even the Italians Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Um, I haven't actually done it yet Embarassed but about one hour from Turin to Val Cenis is what our guide said it would take his wife (3 times world paragliding champion) when she picks us up from the airport in January. If this sounds unlikely, perhaps he was thinking of the time to his own village which is 15 or 20 mins nearer to the tunnel. Or perhaps he was only thinking of the time to Modane. I have only driven there from the French side (9 hours from Calais to Val Cenis, if I remember right).
Looking at the map it is about 50 miles from the outskirts of Turin to Modane, so half an hour can't be right.
That said, transfer times (which allow for the worst possible road conditions and traffic on a transfer day (which this isn't) are very different from car driving times. Transfers from Bourg St Michelle to Val d'Isere are said to be 45-50 mins, but I drove it in 20 minutes, not driving particularly fast).
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi, Have a look at this and I'm sure you'll go for the Aosta valley.
http://www.regione.vda.it/turismo/webcam_i.asp
ski holidays
Yes, but personally I'd rather go for Courmayeur or Champoluc/Gressoney/Alagna (linked area) than Cervinia. (Great webcams, by the wayCymru am Byth)
snow report
Did both Cervinia and Gressoney in March last season. If it's a choice between the two, I'd go for Gressoney.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy