Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats your Every Day Carry (EDC) whilst skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering what other peoples EDC is when skiing, I recently have taken over backpack duties for the family when we go and obviously when I am with mates I have my own personal stuff to carry. So what do you consider essential for a day's riding?

My EDC:
Helipro small Dakine pack
1.5 Litre camelback full of water
Extra layer(s), usually a fleece
Spare pair of socks
Hat
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Lip balm
Shovel
Knife/Multitool
Chocolate bars and days lunch
Mobile phone
Wallet with at least 20 euros or 30 CHF

Now some stuff I have just added
Lifesystems Trekker First Aid kit (bolstered with more bandages, a lighter and paracetamol tablets)
A mountain survival thermal blanker (those silver ones)
Heatpads

To add:
A whistle?
More heatpads?
Glowsticks?
Paracord?

I figure why not prepare for the worst so if that happens you have a much better chance of survival (being trapped on the mountain can be a possibility) And anyone who wonders how it affects my skiing and comfort - not at all really, the heli pro is a good pack with plenty of straps and I pack well so never really been bothered by it , also almost all the stuff is light weight!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You forgot:
- malaria tablets
- antivenin for a range of poisonous bites
- antihistamine cream (for a range of slightly less poisonous bites)
- epipen
- clawhammer
- satphone
- oxygen bottles
- camping stove
- portable TV
- your name and address sewn into your underwear
- trained search and rescue dog
- magnesium flares
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
iPod
Bag of pork scratchings
Treasured copy of Playboy with Tiffany in it
Bottle of Gordon's
An otter
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FastEddie, I always take a badger myself - find that otters are less hard-wearing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, this is true, but since i'm mainly about clean, on-piste skiing, i'm sure that you'll agree that a good otter from a reputable company serves my needs adequately without the extra weight of a badger.

Currently i'm running an Atomic Furmaster X-10, with a nose angle of +4. I always fancied one of the Nordica otters, but the nose angle seems to be more conducive to powder than groomers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FastEddie, agreed - the badger does weigh rather heavier, but as a person of the female persuasion I'm able to omit the copy of Playboy, so that compensates a bit. There has been a bit of a fad amongst my staff for marmots this season, but personally I think they're a bit rubbish as they tend to fall asleep.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I saw some gnarly-looking dudes in the snow park the other day packing groundhogs. Now i'm all for pushing the envelope, but those fools are going to get themselves killed with that sort of thing. They're a danger to themselves and every other piste user.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shocked ridiculous. Mind you, I suspect that as far as your average once-a-year skier is concerned all this stuff is a bit of a fashion accessory - most of them would be just fine with a basic prairie dog or even a gerbil. Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
spare pair of socks
???

Why? Likelihood of being mugged for socks very low in alpine resorts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard wrote:
Shocked ridiculous. Mind you, I suspect that as far as your average once-a-year skier is concerned all this stuff is a bit of a fashion accessory - most of them would be just fine with a basic prairie dog or even a gerbil. Laughing

I didn't know Richard Gere could ski....

Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm currently testing the new Nordica 'Dual Seal' range. Effortless uphill ski touring due to helpfull nature of seal skin and then brilliant powder performance thanks to flipper/tail flotation and steering. They also act as a compact survival kit; trapped on the mountain? No problem, skin them both, eat one and wear the other!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FastEddie, I do NOT believe that story. Think about the logistics of it for a moment.

NAKEDZOOKEEPER, seals obviously the Rolls Royce of wintersports animal, but a bit OTT for the average piste skier, I feel.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FastEddie, Lizzard, thank you for contributing some good and witty banter - ideal for a good Sunday morning laugh Laughing. Otter or Badger? Prefer taking a beaver when I'm on the piste if I'm honest.....

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 17-02-08 12:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can anyone let me know how their rodents cope with the altitude? I'll be skiing 300 chains high this coming trip.
ski holidays
hobbiteater, good question. Marmots, as mentioned previously, tend to become sleepy (presumably because of their hibernation habits). Too small a rodent will suffer in cold conditions owing to its relatively large surface area, but carrying a larger animal obviously has weight/space implications. It's a question of finding an acceptable compromise which suits your particular skiing habits.
ski holidays
Lift pass is forgotten on your list.

Dont want to leave the appartment/chalet without your lift pass. You won't be going very far.
latest report
Christopher, most resorts in France now allowed "chipped" rodents as lift pass substitutes. I did however have a marmot refused in Les Arcs. Kept biting the liftie Embarassed

Softshells for Rodents? any views anyone?
ski holidays
Softshells for rodents sounds like trouble..........

latest report
Mark Hunter, that looks rather too like the bladder of my camelbak after a week skiing. Shocked

Which end to you stick the tube in?
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
...Marmots, as mentioned previously, tend to become sleepy (presumably because of their hibernation habits)...

Sorry Lizzard, but IIRC it's because of all the ski clothing and equipment they're making in those underground French factories at night...
snow report
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

most resorts in France now allowed "chipped" rodents as lift pass substitutes

Great, subcutaneous lift pass for you then, saves having to remember to take the card with you!
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
Mark Hunter, that looks rather too like the bladder of my camelbak after a week skiing. Shocked

Which end to you stick the tube in?
Oh YUCK! Laughing
snow report
PhillipStanton, indeed, I have something made by them. Beautiful work by tiny paws.
latest report
the_aliasskier wrote:

Wallet with at least 20 euros or 30 CHF

That'll cover the tip - what about lunch?
snow conditions
Lizzard, Mobile phones can transmit tv these days! Perfect for those long lift queues ...
latest report
I've started something horrible, haven't i? Very Happy
snow conditions
FastEddie wrote:
I've started something horrible, haven't i? Very Happy

No, it's fab! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother wrote:
Beautiful work by tiny paws.

The craftsmanship you only really get from tiny paws.
ski holidays
You're all nuts. My butler carries the lot. Must ask him about his rodent preference.
snow report
Squirrels. Now why didn't we think of that before. Intelligent. Agile. And nice BBQd.
ski holidays
My EDC: wallet, phone, ski pass

...and that's pretty much it. Sometimes I'll have a bullet-cam, sometimes I'll bring a drink or a snack but generally I stick to being ripped off in the on-piste cafés.

I would carry avalanche-related gear if I skied that sort of terrain more often, but until then I'll stick to feeling as light and agile as possible.
snow report
the_aliasskier wrote:
Whats your Every Day Carry (EDC) whilst skiing?

Maybe a vegetable carry with some pilau rice and a cauliflower bhaji.
snow report
PhillipStanton, still have that kipping on the job problem though.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, try and hide yer nuts though. Shocked
latest report
PhillipStanton, A logical chioce but a low surface area could result in flotation issues in fresh snow....
snow conditions
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, not to mention the high surface area: volume ratio, leading to problems coping with the cold as discussed earlier (though the bushy tail might help). I shall stick to my trusty badger, I feel.
latest report
Potential problems in the near future relating to the spread of TB? Possibility of bans on badger assisted skiing in the Alps?
snow conditions
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, if you're going to start in on thet one I shall feel obliged to point out that the marmot is a vector for black death.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy