Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Discrimination against Brits?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a couple of anecdotes which I'd like to test - has anyone else heard the same/similar? The worry is that these are from a small Italian resort with a low population of British vacationers - I'd understand if it was anywhere with a huge lairy loutish reputation.

1. Brits being served smaller measures in resort because they're the ones who can't hold their drink/cause trouble/start fights. NB., specifically British not Swedes, Dutch, locals, etc.

2. Additional Police on slopes to cope with said British invasion, drinking at lunchtime (imagine that in Italy), not holding their drink, etc. etc.

Honest I'm not trying to stir anything up, but need reinforcement or refutation to answer in what is escalating to a family dispute. (Must be the wine talking...)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David just where in Italy is this supposed to have occurred? Our ski area is linked to Italy and that's not the impression I've ever met or seen or heard. In fact I'd say that in the bars and restuarants in Italy we frequent, the Brits are very warmly received.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 26-11-04 9:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've seen what Brits get up to in their own country and on non-skiing holidays ..... am not at all surprised by David Murdoch's post!!!!

Twisted Evil wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch, Never seen anything like that..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, it wasn't at Milton Keynes was it?

Oh. sorry, see you mentioned Italy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh christ to be honest Ive had enough of everyone in europe labelling us all drunken hooligans. I know we're not all living up to that stereotype. Seems its one rule for us and one rule for everyone else
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodlee, I agree. We were furious one night on holiday when the French guest in the gite we were staying in (Parisiens!), were berating us for our tradition of binge-drinking, and expressing their disapproval at us allowing our 14 and 16 yr olds to have a small glass of wine with dinner. We did say that this was very unfair to brand us all drunks when it is only a minority. About half an hour later, the lady and her 15yr old daughter, went outside for a cigarette, now who was setting the worst example!!!!!!!!!!!!
Needless to say I had my say.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 27-11-04 10:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, well done you! To be honest if i'd been in your position idve done exactly the same. I was always allowed wine with meals etc when I was younger,as we got older I was never the one being sick or passing out in a gutter, and neither were my friends who had been brought up with the same idea. However the ones that were wrapped in cotton wool and shielded from the world tended to be the ones who smoked non stop and were constantly drunk/ being sick etc as soon as they turned 16/17 . And from what ive seen of the french kids - theyre just as bad!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Let's be blunt about this, there appears to be a characteristic for Anglo Saxon/Celt/Scandanavians to drink more beer than the rest of the world, and that includes binge drinking. This has continued to the colonies (America, Australia, NZ).
One question, who generally runs the world. We can't be doing that bad.
And as for the French, they were perfectly happy for a couple of beer swilling nations (Britain/America) to save them from another beer swilling nation (Germany).
As a Celt on holiday I do my best to drink as much local brew as I can, enjoy myself, be sociable, but don't beat up the locals!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

a characteristic for Anglo Saxon/Celt/Scandanavians to drink more beer than the rest of the world, and that includes binge drinking. This has continued to the colonies (America, Australia, NZ).

Oi!!! I'll just delete NZ from your post, if you don't mind (although thankfully a pissed Kiwi starts sounds oddly Australian. Hehehehe. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil )

Aaaaanway. The point of course is not that you Nadenoodlee, or you Cymru am Byth, or any other particular English person is a problem holidaymaker.

However there's always nugget of truth to every steriotype, and in this instance the perception has occured precisely because there are more English who do overindulge throughout their holiday and act annoyingly when pissed, than those who don't. Sadly. Got alot to do with yer liquor licencing laws & having to neck as much as possible before pub closing. Sooner the legacy of THAT law dissapears, the better.

BTW, the French lump me as a Kiwi in with the English i.e. English is my native tongue & therefore my native drinking behaviour is likely to mimic that of the English.... They're only partly correct!!!! (hic!) Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Manda, Oi back. The reason for NZ being there is that unless you are Maori or an Islander then somewhere in your past is one of the above types.
Even more Oi, I'm not English!!!!!
Please refer to the inhabitants of this island as BRITISH. I never thought that an Antipodean would pick up this particularly American habit.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmm, thanks all so far, my intention was not to stir up a hornet's nest, but you can probably now appreciate the tenor of our dinner table discussion last night!

Relieved to see this sort of thing isn't being noticed as a trend.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Manda, after reading this,

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?reportID=55514&storyID=3613261

maybe its not such a bad thing that the French lump you in with the 'English' Toofy Grin

(only joking btw !!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Discrimination against Brits?

Never happened to me. Might have been too p...d to notice, mind Very Happy

Seriously, I've been embarassed by behaviour of a minority of Brits abroad, and Johnny Foreigner has been remarkably tolerant.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stop the Brit Bashing, all young people from different countries drink and behave in ways that are anti social just go to Torquay from April to September the place is full of language students from all over Europe their behaviour is terrible they are rude, drunk and obnoxious.

The British abroad are also rude drunk and obnoxious when on a binge type holiday. The problems are caused by the clubs and bars who use happy hours and silly drinking games as a marketing tools to create attractions in there bars. The news media seems to pick up on the "bad news" and publicity that follows this type of behaviour.

unfortunately it only the Brits that seem to make the news.
snow conditions
Russell, there could be a reason for that.
latest report
Russell, What is interesting though is that I went to the Munich Oktoberfest this year - an event concentrating on drink *HUGE* amounts of strong German lager. I would estimate that about a third of the people there were British/Antipodean yet there were non of the problems associated with any typical British town on a weekend night.

Just lots of extremely drunk people having fun! wink
snow conditions
Paul Holland, Its due to the environment and the fact that it was beer and not fizzy coloured drink with alcohol that must be drunk through a straw up your nose as fast as possible followed by a mouth wash chaser that came free!!
snow report
Russell..........u need to change you local mate Wink NehNeh
snow report
It says in my paper that more girls than boys now bimge drink. Its constantly in the Media now and inevitably it carries over to their holidays. Which means that the bar owners are very grateful.
ski holidays
Paul Holland
"there were non of the problems"

I go to Oktoberfest everyear . Believe you me they get problems, they just have a much more efffective way of dealing with it. Every Brewery has it own undercover army of security personel which are backed up by the friendly face of the uniformed security. .
When a fight breaks out it is extinguised by these people with rapid brutal force. The people involved are ejected or arrested (if serious) and not allowed back in ANY beer tent . Becuase they are so quick you rarely witness any trouble but it does happen.
ski holidays
Remember, for many Europeans, Brits have a most unenviable stereotype...

Brit males are considered dunken, racist, violent and/or homosexual....
Brit females - the same, but replace "homosexual", with, "slappers" !

When working in Munich, even the British ex-pats warned us not to put a St. George's cross on the car, because of the unsavoury connotations in the eyes of the locals. (thx due to football supporters for much of that).

Have never encountered a problem at any ski resort though - always made most welcome. Suppose simply get a better class of Brit at the slopes, so locals more inclined to be friendly !

Stantons post is accurate comment - policing somewhat more, 'effective' on much of continent. "incapacitate, arrest, remove" is the usual ploy... The phrase "be nice" doesn't seem to appear too often in the standard German text on violence prevention !
ski holidays
Have been on ski holidays to most of the european countries and have experienced, Brits, Irish, Scandinavian and Mainland europeans drinking and getting to know each other, doing their bit for international relations (better than the UN can manage) Mind you the French don't seem to get involved. I have never seen a fight in a ski resort. Everyone just happy to be there and have fun. Seen many a drunk, I may have been that soldier!! Embarassed
ski holidays
stanton mentions the Okoberfest and how there seems to be little trouble there. I think this is because of the general attitude of the punters.

Here in the UK, I help run a few CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) Beer Festivals and likewise these are substantially trouble free. How to explain this compared with the typical UK weekend city/town centre evening?

Perhaps when the whole thing is about enjoying the event and the quality of the beer, rather than just getting legless, there is a lot less irresponsible behaviour.
latest report
From across the pond, I'll say that I've been more than a little surprised at the discussion of alcohol consumption on snowHeads since it started. Lots more than on other Internet sites, FWIW.
snow report
Quote:

Perhaps when the whole thing is about enjoying the event and the quality of the beer, rather than just getting legless, there is a lot less irresponsible behaviour

Everyone i know gets legless at those due to "trying" to many of the beers available.....well that's their excuse anyway. But yes it doesn't end in any trouble, the prescence of big burly doormen may go someway to difuse anything as well?

There's a few ladies' front bottoms out there who get aggressive when drunk and seem to use the most minute thing such as knocking into someone and spilling a finger of beer, to escalate the atmosphere into world war3 rolling eyes they are everywhere in every country. Being a brit and going abroad, maybe i/we notice the brits more?
ski holidays
Peter Horn

Quote:

stanton mentions the Okoberfest and how there seems to be little trouble there. I think this is because of the general attitude of the punters.

Im not saying that. Im saying they get trouble & it is putdown/contained very fast by the security folk. They get trouble from all nationality's inc German .

I have also been to a few CAMRA events in the past but please dont equate (if you were trying to ) those festivals to Octoberfest .
snow conditions
Is Manda, this years Beef McBignob - just wondering cause she seems to be stirring things in a few posts. Beef have you changed your sex or are you still "The only gay in this village".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I should have known better than to post to snowHeads at nearly 3 in the morning after such a long night partying. I should have been quoting Paul Holland not stanton Embarassed . I had read stanton's post and my post doesn't make too much sense by referring to his instead of Paul Holland's post.

I wasn't trying to equate Oktoberfest with CAMRA beer festivals (they are somewhat different styles) except on the basis that lots of people drink lots of beer at both.

We run two beer festivals down here: Southampton, where we have two professional doormen but they are very discreet and hopefully there wouldn't be trouble without them anyway; Eastleigh Beer Festival is a somewhat smaller event and the 'big burly doormen' we use there are our own OAPs. We really rely on a happy atmosphere not allowing trouble to brew up in the first place. Even the most sozzled person there seems to realise that uncivil behaviour can jeopardise future festivals.
snow conditions
The Brits are not the only ones with a bad reputation - although I have never seen hassle on a ski-ing holiday.

The Norwegiens don't like the Danes. They can't ski and are far more rowdy than those from Norway. I saw this first hand in a hotel in Hafjell a couple of years ago. The Danes seem to have a more "Viking" spirit about them! (By the way they don't like being called Viking - I think it is the equivalent to pirate)
snow report
stanton wrote:
Peter Horn

Quote:

Im not saying that. Im saying they get trouble & it is putdown/contained very fast by the security folk. They get trouble from all nationality's inc German .

Was there a couple of years ago and in this group of Italians behind us there was one lad who was looking a bit worse for wear. Anyway he fell onto a table scattering drinks everywhere. Despite the fact you could barely move in the aisles about 7 or 8 security appeared incredibly quickly and threw him out over a 6 foot fence. They then grabbed the pocket camera of another person who they thought had taken a picture of the security in action and smashed it to pieces. The security at Oktoberfest don't mess around. Any trouble maker is forcibly removed, no ifs or buts about it.
snow report
I wish my mis-quote didn't get quoted Wink

Not allowed to take photos then on pain of having your camera smashed? Seems a bit harsh and I would have thought illegal. They'll have more trouble now so many phones have cameras.
latest report
Pete Horn wrote:
I wish my mis-quote didn't get quoted Wink

Not allowed to take photos then on pain of having your camera smashed? Seems a bit harsh and I would have thought illegal. They'll have more trouble now so many phones have cameras.

Not allowed to take photos of security. When you see how they deal with troublemakers you can understand it.

Oh and I had posted before I saw that you were misquoted as well. Embarassed
snow conditions
Lager

My point exactly.

I have seen this with Italians & a Group of Austrians.
A couple of years ago a group of Brits were sitting nearby & 2 of the group were told they could not seat 7or 8 per side on each table. They got uncomfortable with the rules about how many people can be sat on the bench seats/tables ie .
The Beer Waitress ( they rule the roost in the tents) was getting upset . After more uneccesary verbal from these 2, out of know where came security and that was the end of there festival, Incidently if you get thrown out and pic taken taken it is relayed to the beerhalls in town .
Basically the police will not entertain any complaints if you are drunk they leave it up to the internal security to kick the shite out of any troublemakers Smile
latest report
People, be real men and women and put up with the sterotype(s) attached to you contry.
Exactly like I have to deal with the Spaghetti/Mafia/Mommy (despite being a Northerner and thus a rice/polenta eater/no-Mafia-allowed-here-but-ours& the Albanian one, the Slowenian one, the Russian one and god-only-knows-how many others/mum is always mum thought, for those in the know) stereotype.
BTW, I got this one from Australia MAFIA = Mothers And Fathers (of) Italian Ancestry...
This one is even better:
http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~steinl/vitser/malta.html
When living in France had to read it for the colleagues at least once a month...sometines I couldn't end it because I was laughing too much.
latest report
Hey Matteo,

Ina morning a bigga dumpa snow isa coming your way, shits of snow coming down alla week.

Nearly a metre in three days Shocked
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Madonna-di-Campiglio.0to3top.shtml
snow report
Madonna is not exactly "my way"...Madesimo or Passo Tonale would be better suited destination for that dump...
But hey, I'll make do wink
In the mountains near "my way" it has been dumping since 0400 this morning..hope it will stay

Thanks DB, how are, btw, things in Wien?
ski holidays
Matteo wrote:
Madonna is not exactly "my way"...Madesimo or Passo Tonale would be better suited destination for that dump...
But hey, I'll make do wink
In the mountains near "my way" it has been dumping since 0400 this morning..hope it will stay

Thanks DB, how are, btw, things in Wien?

Things are good in Wien but if you do get too much snow please send it up here snowHead

Must try and get over your way this year, that's if you will let another drunken Brit in Wink
ski holidays
Shure, shure! Do come in mate!!! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy