Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I went skiing today and in my bag I packed.........

Poster: A snowHead
There's bits and piece of great advice scattered throughout SHs but if I may, I wanted to start a new topic to try and pull things together

Rather than "what should I pack for my hols?" I'd like some advice on what you good people would see as being essential items to fill your jacket pockets or bag with when you are on the slopes (or off piste). The less obvious items which you can't do without either on the grounds of safety, to make things more enjoyable, less stressful......you know the kinda things

There's a current posting about silver foil blankets - being a newbie to skiing I wouldn't have thought about a foil blanket in a month of Sundays. But a quick trip to the camping shop and a couple of quid later and I now have a blanket that's going to be stuffed in one of the many pockets in my ski jacket

A couple I thought of:-

Travel / Medical Insurance details - tell one of the party that you've cover and where to find the details (I'm guessing preferably have them on your person somewhere)

Chocolate bar or Energy (Dextrose) tablets - for that added energy boost or when you suffer an attack of the munchies Very Happy

I'm sure there are lots more

As a novice, I'm more than willing to accept advice (amusing or other wise). Some of the stuff that you folks take for granted may not even occur to me - the foil blanket being a good example

Would welcome your thoughts for on and off piste skiing

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Goggles or sunglasses (in addition to what's on my head when I set out in the morning).

Buff (neck warmer thing)

Phone (with piste security number programmed into memory)

Cash & card

Lift pass & piste map

Carte Neige card (supplementary insurance)

EHIC card (replacement for E111 for some medical costs in EU countries).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
passport and "proper insurance" if skiing in North America, plus credit card with lots of available credit. everthing else can be bought locally if forgotten.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, you have to ski with a passport in North America?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, nope, but it's worth having photo ID on you in case something happens.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, no, but I need it to get there and as WTFH says, useful for ID.

OK, I'll also admit to a chocolate stash NehNeh
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
rob@rar, no, but I need it to get there and as WTFH says, useful for ID.

Obviously you look too young to buy beer, so I suppose a good thing to carry Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Oh, bless you my child Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx, Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, ... she is as well .... Very Happy

Carrying evidence of insurance is very important. Many leave these with valuables in their hotel/accommodation. I had to help out a girl in Tignes, who had a nasty 'knee' accident. She and some 'friends' had come to Tignes on a day trip from Val d'Isere. Her insurance and credit card were in Val d'Isere and she had 40-50 euro in cash. Her 'friends' were nowhere to be seen and nothing would happen on the medical front without a credit card.

I find 'Carte Neige' is the magic word in France. Even insurance policies in English are treated with some suspicion, but Carte Neige is the universal language and is well worth it for the season, or its sister 'Carre Neige' for those skiing on a weekly basis. Even on an emergency Helicopter evacuation last season, the first question asked by the Gendarme when he alighted from the helicopter was if the injured party had Carte Neige.

Also useful to have the address and contact number of your accommodation on your person.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BernardC, God, I love you too Very Happy right about the accommodation details. I also carry that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Goggles/Sun glasses....
Lift pass, Carte Neige, Insurance
Cash
Sun block
Fags/Lighter - and an ashtray for the nub ends wink
Phone - with emergency numbers readily available (Pub, pizza delivery, mistress etc...oh, and securite des pistes etc - normally found at the lift pass office)

Anything else is in my backpack, if I can be bothered to take it out (depends on what the day entails and where I am skiing)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Phone
goggles/sunglasses
sun cream and lip salve
credit cards
insurance details
passport
hat
camera
lift pass
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And a few individually wrapped boiled sweets for dry mouth!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Assuming your serious about the "off piste" question, it's been done many times, but as a bare minimum for off piste you (and all in your group) need (and have practised with) a transceiver, shovel and probe.

I normally carry some or all of:

foil sheet, peeps, shovel, probe, spare layer, micro thin hat (to fit under helmet if ever needed), turtle fur, googles/sunglasses, sun cream, lip salve, medical insurance, credit card, camera, radio, ava lung, water pouch
snow report
Quote:

being a newbie to skiing I wouldn't have thought about a foil blanket in a month of Sundays.

Neither would I after doing it for 30 years. I only ever carry suncream, lift pass/insurance and occasionally a camera. Can't think how I manage. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
For the kids - laminated card in pocket with contact details etc
latest report
Thanks folks for your thoughts - a few more than I wouldn't have thought of

No one has mentioned a first aid kit - one of those little bit of everything kits - useful for the odd scrape or lump & bump?

kitenski, I just added the "off piste" bit as an aside as 100% of my skiing will be on piste at the mo, unless I get lost!!!! Very Happy
latest report
Sleipnir wrote:
Thanks folks for your thoughts - a few more than I wouldn't have thought of

No one has mentioned a first aid kit - one of those little bit of everything kits - useful for the odd scrape or lump & bump?

kitenski, I just added the "off piste" bit as an aside as 100% of my skiing will be on piste at the mo, unless I get lost!!!! Very Happy

In which case, the foil blanket probably isn't necessary Smile

For me, Spare gloves & goggles, water (in a camelback type device), camera/phone, piste map, chapstick, multitool, wallet. I usually also carry a sweater, but I'm not sure why since I have never yet felt the need to put it on.
snow conditions
For me, spare gloves (i have a fear i will leave a glove somewhere!), goggles or glasses (i will wear one and have the other in the bag), sun cream, gillet (if it gets cold this is enough under a jacket), space blanket, water (in Camelback), inhaler, cash amd cards, insurance docs, phone, silk inener gloves (for when it gets really cold), maybe a buff if i'm not wearing it, maybe a hat if i'm not wearing that either.

I think that is about it. Although as i use the same bag for mountain biking i have also been skiing with an innertube and pump in my bag.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
I usually also carry a sweater, but I'm not sure why since I have never yet felt the need to put it on.

But that's the reason why you carry spare items of clothing, the first day you leave them behind.....
snow conditions
I rarely if ever carry a backpack, so I am limited to what I can carry in my pockets.

Lip Balm
Sunscreen
Cash and Credit Cards
Lift pass
Googles/glasses ,although I don't mind skiing in goggles all day if I have to as it stops me getting watery eyes.

As hubby never remebers his camelbak, I think I might start using it instead.
snow report
No rucksack. It is too much hassle being told to take it off for lifts. But in my sallopettes I have an edging tool with diamond stone and now a notwax puck. Gives you something to do when the people you are with are faffing;)
snow report
A skigee and/or some type of goggle/sunglasses wipe mine are on cords and are constantly borrowed by ski mates on the chair
latest report
Am I the only one that carries a hip flask (full of brandy)?
snow conditions
nessy, and messing about with wax and edging tools isn't faffing, not in any way. Laughing
ski holidays
What is this Carte Neige or Carre Neige? Never heard of it.
snow report
minx, supplementary insurance, especially good for evacuation from piste or off-piste in France. It's been discussed a few times on the forum so a quick search will pull up several threads. You can buy an anual policy (Carte Neige) or a day-by-day policy with your lift pass (Carre Neige); both versions have the same cover.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont,
Quote:

I rarely if ever carry a backpack, so I am limited to what I can carry in my pockets.

Me too. I carry:-
Sunglasses (Goggles are on my helmet)
Contact lens solution
Lippy & suncream
Tiny mirror
A few painkillers & some chewing gum
Paper tissues
Small wallet, containing credit/debit cards and cash, EHIC card, copy passport, insurance details, list of mountain resto phone nos (downloaded from SCGB site) & donor card (!)
Camera
Phone (with accommodation number in it)
Lift pass
Inner silk gloves
Neck warmer (lives under one arm if I'm not wearing it)

If I need to carry a back-pack for shovel & probe, I also add water, a spare thin fleece & spare gloves
latest report
nessy wrote:
No rucksack. It is too much hassle being told to take it off for lifts.

I have always worn a rucsack, even before I had the camelback.

And I have never had it suggested to me (on the mountain) that I might take it off for any lift. Nor have I ever actually done so, except when I wanted something from it while in a gondola.
latest report
Take salted peanuts instead of chocolate - slower release carbs and fats for a slower, sustained release of energy. The salt might help too.

If you get cold sores, take Factor 30+ for your lips, Blistex (rather than chapstick) and zovirax just in case (extra cold/ultraviolet brings the sores out)

2-way radio if going with friends

Chewing gum (freshen breath if you get chatting to a honey)

Water

Handwarmer (for your girlfriend - worth a million brownie points and forgiveness for giving chewing gum to random honeys. Second thoughts, pack chocolate for the same reason. Wink)

Zinc oxide tape - for preventing blisters/hot spots on feet/shins/hands and for fixing random things

Lozenges - the anaesthetic/antiseptic type that tastes nice. Stops a cold throat developing into a sore one

Headache pills - Ibuprofen and paracetamol. Head off light-induced headaches at the pass, possibly also migraines if you get them. NSAID, so useful for aches and pains, but also useful in advance before too much alcohol gets drunk.

Paper and pen.

Everything in freezer bags to stop them getting wet/dusty.

A bit random and out of the ordinary but I take/use all of these in my daysack whatever the holiday. (Except the radios. Seems very ski-specific?)
latest report
mdemon2, you are mad. Shocked
snow report
Lizzard, Why? Looks like an eminently sensible list to me.
snow conditions
Hurtle, he left out the brandy flask.
ski holidays
comprex, wink
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
mdemon2, you are mad. Shocked

Sadly, you may be correct - forgot that GF reads SnowHeads! Embarassed

Comprex, LMAO! Very Happy
snow report
Hurtle, oh come on. Most of the people I know carry even less stuff than I do - why on earth would anyone ski around carrying Zovirax, Ibuprofen and a notepad and pen, for God's sake? Loonies!!
ski holidays
Lizzard, he skis to pull.
snow report
Lizzard, obviously he suffers from cold sores, any sensible person carries painkillers, and I quite like having paper and pencil or pen to hand too, would probably carry them in a non-ski daypack, there's often something interesting or useful to jot down on a long day out. Actually, if I carried a back-pack more often, I would almost certainly carry the smallest Travel Scrabble as well - invaluable over an occasional long lunch - and of course you need the pen and paper to score.

mdemon2, you are neither mad nor loony (not that I am terribly keen on these words as terms of abuse.)
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
of course you need the pen and paper to score.

True. You need to write down mobile numbers - they're far too long to remember rolling eyes .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy