Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian hut question

Poster: A snowHead
I've only skied in Italy and France but, in a couple of weeks, my wife and I are off to Obergurgl with friends. So, while I know my crespelli from my tartiflette, my only German food word is Wurst. I'm a bit worried that I might end up with pickled tripe or worse. Anyone care to list a few common dishes with translations? I like a few carbs at lunchtime, do you get pasta in Austria?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes you can get pasta - go for 'spagetti' Very Happy
or - 'pizza' Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Time and again I get chatting to people who have skied in Austria and hate the food. I always think it's better than in France. I can't say I was impressed with the food in Arc1950 last week. In Obergurgl, eat at the Eidelweiss & Gurgl at lunchtime (if you're not staying there already). Goulash soup is generally good too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ull, Part of the charm on a recent visit was to see what turned up. Most folks can explain the menu in English.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if my experience in st anton/lech last year is anything to go by the food is alot better in austria. Massive generalisation based on one resort
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have been going round Austrian resorts for several seasons, surviving on English only. Throwing a bit of simple French can help too.

If I have to choose food from skiing resorts from the French, Italians, Swiss and Austrian the last one is my choice, regardless if it is a cafeteria at the top of the mountain or in a restaurant at the bottom of the village. However I have to confess that I have never done catered chalets and my experience is based on eating out.

In general the food isn't much different across the Alps but I do find the Austrians are more consistent. They seem to have pride in delivering the service and quality.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And just how many calories is there in tartiflette? Very Happy (I do like it though)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We like to try local specialities but I wanted to avoid nasty surprises on the one hand and not miss good stuff on the other. Goulash is good. I like Polenta with it but dumplings would do. Am I the only Brit who likes Polenta? Asked for it in a hut in Gressoney, the other week, and the waitress checked that I knew what it was and that I was sure I wanted it!
We've mostly skied in Italy. Partly because it's cheaper than France and partly because we prefer the food. We've been in some good French huts but there seem to be a lot of mediocre ones.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We had faikergulasch - Goulash, dumplings and a fried egg on top Madeye-Smiley tres yummy scrummy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, Frosty. I've made a note of that!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the bbc have simple language help on their site this link takes you to german skiing holiday phrases

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/quickfix/ski.shtml
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plenty of stuff (inc pics) about sausages and dumplings in this lot .....

http://www.bernhards.at/

http://www.aboutaustria.org/recipes/recipes.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Austria

http://austrianfood.buyorderonlineshopping.com/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is brought to you from the terrace of the Hospiz Alm in St Christoph, nr St Anton, where a late luncheon is being enjoyed by OL and self. Grub excellent, if slow, and English menu available. I had an excellent tripe dish last night for dinner in St Anton; if you end up eating pickled bull's balls, don't worry, they're probably delish.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK, a few bits and bobs for you:

Tirolergröstl / Bauerngröstl / Hüttengröstl - plate of fried pork, onions and potatoes with a fried egg on top
Toast - usually means ham and cheese toasty, doesn't come with anything except ketchup, unless it says 'salat'
Knödel are dumplings and come in various shapes and sizes
Gulasch is goulash
Brettljause - wooden board piled with a range of ham, cheese, sausage etc. and bread
Käsekrainer - sausage with bits of melted cheese oozing out
Grillhändl - roast chicken (usually on a spit)
Kaiserschmarrn - chopped up pancakes with sugar and fruit puree
Palatschinken - similar but thin pancakes

Pizza and past are universally available.

In Obergurgl we also had a lot of jacket potatoes - Ofenkartoffel or Foliekartoffel with Sauerrahm (soured cream) and bacon (Speck).

Wurst comes in many shapes and sizes, and come with Brot (slices of brown bread), Semmel (crusty white roll), or Sauerkraut. Mustard is Senf.

HTH
D
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Deliaskis,

Just back from lunch but feel hungry after reading your post.
ski holidays
Quote:

Kaiserschmarrn - chopped up pancakes with sugar and fruit puree

Deliaskis, Served with a plum sauce, very nice, tasted like chopped up bread n butter pud (if that is possible?)
ski holidays
Update from the terrace of the Krazy Kangaruh; the Austrian for 'beer' is apparently 'bier' (and the service is Krap, but what's new?).
snow report
I love goulash soup!!! Every hut seems to have it's own little recipe and they are all excellent value for money. Very Happy

You can also get a pancake soup with doesn't sound nice but is bascially a stock with strips of pancake in it. very very good!!!

Then again the food is very meat based so veggies aren't too well catered for.

joe
ski holidays
joe1978, I had a pea soup that had beans and sausage in. Sounds disgusting but was deeeelish.
snow report
joe1978 wrote:
You can also get a pancake soup with doesn't sound nice but is bascially a stock with strips of pancake in it. very very good!!!

Sounds like Frittatensuppe
http://www.kochecke.at/kochrezept-frittatensuppe.html
snow conditions
richmond, don't like the KK just go across the piste to the Mossewirt.
snow conditions
Deliaskis, that's it ... I want to go to a mountain hut RIGHT NOW!!! Very Happy

One of the best bits of skiing in Austria is stopping for lunch in the mountain restaurants. Kaiserschmarrn is lovely, I make it at home! Knödelsuppe's are normally really good too. I know a hut in Gastein that does such good knödelsuppe I normally get a second helping Smile Embarassed

I'm out there in 2 weeks and I can't wait!! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
No one mentioned apfel strudel ! I like at least one a day
snow conditions
Kersh, when's your next trip then? We are out in Zell from March 1st to 8th.
latest report
hey waynos, Apfel Strudel is a given. wink I normally stop for apfel strudel about 11.30. It's a good job I'm doing some exercise inbetween all this eating eh! Laughing

Deliaskis, I arrive in Gastein on the 23rd and leave on the 29th so we'll just miss each other which is a shame. I'm really looking forward to going though.
snow report
Kersh, tis a shame indeed, not only that there won't be a chance for a mini snowHead meet-up, but also that you get to go before I do, that is clearly not fair wink !

Have a fab time though!! Let us know how it goes.

D
latest report
Cheers, hope you have a good one too. We have got a mini snowHead planned. Waynos and I are planning to meet up and hit the pistes. I'll have to see if I can keep up with him! wink
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
joe1978, I had a pea soup that had beans and sausage in. Sounds disgusting but was deeeelish.

That would be "Erbsensuppe mit Würstl" Toofy Grin

Ull, you said you liked a few carbs at lunchtime, so you might care to try Germknödel - a steamed sponge filled with plum jam, usually served with Mohn (sprinkled poppy seeds) and either melted butter (too rich for my taste) or Vanillesauce (that's custard to you and me) Toofy Grin

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kersh wrote:
Cheers, hope you have a good one too. We have got a mini snowHead planned. Waynos and I are planning to meet up and hit the pistes. I'll have to see if I can keep up with him! wink

Depends how many strudels I have between now and then Smile

Another horribly sunny day today.
snow report
Hause Cholcolate mit rhum und slag (or something like that) AKA Hot chocolate with rum and cream

Goulash suppe mit brot - Yum
ski holidays
Spiegeleier mit pommes did the trick for a season! Beware of Sauerkraut.
latest report
skitrack, I think that's "Heisse Schokolade mit Rum und Schlag" Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Thanks, especially to Deliaskis. I feel much better prepared!
snow report
One of my faves is the Cordon Bleu Schnitzel(Veal cutlet with ham and cheese filling fried in breadcrumbs) followed by Topfenstrudel, like the Apple version but filled with a baked cheesecake centre, very nice topped with warm Vanillesauce (runny custard).
snow report
Kersh wrote:
Knödelsuppe's are normally really good too. I know a hut in Gastein that does such good knödelsuppe I normally get a second helping

I've remembered now - Tirolerknödelsuppe in the Haitzingalm above Bad Hofgastein!! Yum yum!!! If anyone goes to the gastein valley, make sure you stop there at least once. It's quite small so get there early.

www.haitzingalm.at

The website also has their menu in both German and English so Ull, you may find that useful.

snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
Update from the terrace of the Krazy Kangaruh; the Austrian for 'beer' is apparently 'bier' (and the service is Krap, but what's new?).

Probably due to lots of English working in there
ski holidays
Try Schweinshaxe if you don't fancy skiing in the afternoon. Its roasted knuckle of pork and wunderbar.
snow conditions
arlberg wrote:
Try Schweinshaxe if you don't fancy skiing in the afternoon.

Laughing Laughing .. so true!

Schweinshaxe is another one of my favourites but i've often struggled to find it Austria whereas most places serve it in Germany. When I have found it in Austria it's been in the valley restaurants rather than the mountain huts.
snow report
Käsespätzle - tiny dumplings fried with cheese and butter and absolutely delicious!!

Germknoedel - giant dumpling filled with plum sauce dribbled with either vanilla or butter sauce (read melted butter)

Dumplings are a theme of Austria and I love them!!
snow report
dan100 wrote:
Massive generalisation based on one resort

"Everyone generalises from a sample of one. At least, I know I do." -- Steven Brust
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy