Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

when hiring a snowboard and boots ....

Poster: A snowHead
do they also give you wrist guards too? Or should you be bringing your own?

Thanks!

Hannah
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some do some don't, some do and charge rental for them, some do and don't charge rental, I guess if you have your own wristguards take them with you
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks D G Orf, was just wondering for my husband actually! Are they expensive to buy do you know?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wrist guards cost about 10 to 15 quid to buy. Have never bothered asking about rental. S+R have the Dakine ones for 16.95 here.

I've seen them cheaper elsewhere though and I paid about 13 quid for the same set a couple of years ago.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
.....never known anywhere to hire them out to you?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not a boarder myself but friends who board have been given them when they hired their boards, but have also been charged deposits for them as well, not really a hire charge just a small extra they didn't expect
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've never seen them offered in the places I've hired but I imagine they stink
pretty bad and must be up there with butt protector and helmet as the most
unsavoury item to hire Puzzled

I just use a cheap pair from argos....as long as you remember they
aren't substitute for falling properly
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've hired them in a Wengen Intersport (which is probably why DG Orf mentions them!) and they were offered as a default to anyone hiring a board, at no extra cost. They were also a very good type that could go over a glove without impeding dexterity, and more importantly provided protection around the full 360 degree of the wrist - not just the front and back, as most wrist guards do. I've looked in various shops recently but never found anything else as good...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would suggest just picking up some cheap roller-blade wristguards and throwing them on under the gloves, should work fine. Your husband will probably only need them the first 5 or so times he goes; after that wipeouts are much less frequent, and when they do happen they are usually at higher speeds where you don't even have time to get your arms out before hitting the ground Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have the above Dakine ones and the best investment. For the sake of 16 quid, better than ruining your hols.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Buy them NOW! and a butt pad (having once driven 800 miles home with a broken Sacrum, I can uncomfortably still remember the journey and the 6 weeks it took to heal). total cost about 40£ and never a quid less well spent.
Helmet’s not a bad idea either.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wrist guards are almost a waste of time. Far better to learn to fall properly and tuck arms and wrists away from danger. The first snowboard lessons I ever had consisted of 1 hour learning to fall before he even let us go on the bunny slopes! Tuck the arms in, hunch shoulders slightly and roll into the fall, lifting the board out of the snow... I know the natural reaction is to stick the arms out, but it doesn't take long to learn. In the bad old days of skiing, I hurt my thumbs badly falling on an artificial slope. I soon learned to tuck arms in when falling in skiing too...

Wrist protectors may, on borderline cases, prevent a break, but anything hard is still going to snap bones regardless. Learn the right technique of falling (sadly it isn't taught enough nowadays) and you can prevent a lot of injuries...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled, true...but often when falling at speed, instinct takes over and that's where wrist guards can help.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But that's exactly my point... if at speed and falling, chances are that the wristguards will do little, if anything, to prevent injury... It's probably only at lower speeds that they are of any use, and that's only until the faller learns to fall properly!

Maybe there are better wrist protectors than I've seen, but the ones I've seen are more likely to shatter the bones in the back of your hand as well as not stopping your wrist getting broken. Placebo effect only, I reckon...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.sport-protection.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16158&cat=250&page=1

Best butt protector for the beginner.
snow conditions
Have to agree with Elizabeth. Better to have some protection than none at all. Wrist guards don' only just protect against breaks but also sprains. My first ever time snowboarding my wrists ached for days from catching myself when falling. After that I bought wrist guards and no problems. Although I never broke my wrists... they still did hurt from catching myself.

It's not just from actaual falls when you wipe out but when you catch yourself from falling. I used to find a lot of the time that at speed I'd catch a toe edge when coming off heel edge, the transition to the toe edge would be too sharp and I would be whipped forward on the board whilst facing up the mountain with my board parralell. Instead of just face planting I'd get as low as I could on the board, put my arms out to stop my forward motion (up mountain), push off the snow and continue across the mountain in the direction the board was facing. the wrists are hyper-extended when doing this, without the added support of the wrist guards, it would be easy to to sprain or break the wrist.

For the price of a few beers and a pizza.... your better off having the added protection ... and not just against wiping out...

Ma tuppenneth!!!!
snow report
I would recommend NOT buying cheap rollarblading wrist guards. There have been plenty of reports of such guards simply transferring the stress to a point further up the arm so that you break your lower arm rather than your wrist. Buy properly designed snowboarding guards that flex and distribute the stress evenly.

Secondly, I don't think that falling properly is a complete solution. When you are learning, the constant push-ups that you have to do to get started again are made much easier with wrist guards - otherwise you can strain your wrist or at least end up with a painful ache. When you are more experienced, you will fall less often but when you do you are unlikely to be able to go into a roll.

I have not worn wrist guards for the past 4 or 5 seasons as I hardly ever fall, and when I do I rarely feel that I could have hurt myself. But last season a friend of mine doing a season, who is much better and more experienced than me, fell and fractured her wrist. She was off the slopes for a while and then confined herself to skiing for the rest of the season (yikes) Shocked Shocked . Ok, she was in the park when it happened and it was hard-packed, but don't we often find ourselves in less than ideal situations and carry on?

As a result, I am seriously thinking about getting some again. They may only prove to be useful once every few trips, but if I take an awkward fall while messing up another jump or some flashy manouever, and the guards mean that I can just get up and carry on, then it will be £15-20 well spent.

I wouldn't expect to be able to hire any in a resort and would recommend that every beginner gets a pair of their own.
ski holidays
I stand fully corrected by the way. About 3ish weeks ago I fell hard on my wrist with no guards and sprained it quite painfully (hospital and splint). Anyways, I bought the Dakine wristguards, and have gone snowboarding three times since with them, and even though my wrist was still somewhat fragile and not fully healed, I did not hurt my wrists at all since. The Dakine guards seem to be of decent quality, though I'll bet there are better ones out there.
And to Tony Lane, the fall that hurt my wrist was not even a bad one, just wiped out while on my heel side and made the mistake of putting my hand out to brace for the fall. I have had many falls that seemed WAY worse, but I guess it was just the way I fell or something. It was on hard-pack/icy snow, but as you said, we board in less than ideal conditions all the time.
snow conditions
I broke my wrist going 2mph.........speed is not a factor!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy