Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Allocation on arrival Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone risked allocation on arrival before in Austria ? Quite a good deal going for £490 half board in Saalbach-Hinterglemm.

We are having trouble finding named accommodation in Saalbach for the end of feb and just wondered if its worth the risk.

Also is there any difference in the nightlife between Hinterglemm and Saalbach ?

this last minute ski holiday thing is very stressful !!!
Mad snowHead Confused
Thanks for your help
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd say that Saalbach had a little more happening than Hinterglemm....but I did go at the end of season.

Have you tried putting together a package yourself? There are a number of very reasonably priced B&Bs in Saalbach, so if you can get cheap flights to Salzburg you may be able to do a good deal yourself.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Takoon we went 4* on arrival in January with Direct Ski and ended up in the Hotel Panther Very Happy Great location at the top of Saalbach with skiing right to the back of the hotel and a lift in the front and the back of the hotel. sop you had access to both sides of the valley on your doorstep. Laughing

The main apres ski seems to be in Hinterglim The Goat Stall bar Toofy Grin (4-7pm) great craic and a cheap cab ride back to saalbach about 3€ a head. Bobbys bar in saalbach is great after dinner and it has pool tables, bowling ally and darts etc! Always busy and good crowd in it especially on the Karoke night

If you are going garunteed 4* on arrival it is generally pretty good. and Saalbach is a great resort plus it is easy to get between Saalbach and Hinterglim Happy skiing snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies tried looking at DIY but working out at £410 B+B so £490 quite good for HB.

Ordhan when did they tell you where you were staying and did Hinterglemm seem as lively as Saalbach ?

cheers

Alex
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Found out on the transfer there, Hinterglemm is just as livley as Saalbach from what I could see the Goat Stall is the main apres ski and that is at the bottom of the gondola at hinterglemm. But the main after dinner entertainment seems to be Bobbys bar in Saalbach.

Spent a day or two skiing over there and it looked very livley. Seems like a really nice spot. But to be honest wasnt there at night other than the goat stall.

You will probably be in saalbach (AS it seems Hinterglimm was more German & Dutch and saalbach was Brits, Irish and Russians) the just call the whole resorts Saalbach Hinterglim somthing to do with when the World Championships where held there.

But Like I said the cab ride between the 2 is about 3 Euro a head and 10 minutes so it is easy to get between them
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
takoon, both villages are nice, both easily connected by the free ski bus, and a taxi between the two is pretty cheap. We stayed in a 4* in Vorderglemm that was half board, still described as Saalbach-Hinterglemm but a short taxi ride/bus ride away. Staying anywhere in this valley will be fine, and the skiing and nightlife are all good too... I'd go back again if I could (we didn't have great snow in Jan last year).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Takoon I've done quite a few allocation on arrival in Austria over the years, always been very pleased with the outcome. Very few bad hotels in Austria! Have fun snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just got back from a week in Saalbach, we found solace in the Londoner in Hinterglemm for a few (ahem) hours after being blown off the hill last weekend by high winds but Bauer's skialm at the bottom of the Saalbach nursery slopes was our main stopping off point.
They do great apres ski food as well, we had ribs and pizza "to keep us going" that would have fed a family for a week Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski-finder, was that "Hotel Sonnegg"?

We're off there in 2 weeks annd any iinfo would be great??

ta

joe
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
joe1978, no it was the Hotel Interstar and yes it's a nice picture... but that run directly behind the hotel is the 7.5km Jausernabfahrt which comes down from the shattberg ost, however it was shut! A couple of friends did ski it, but apparently it wasn't much fun.

Jausernabfahrt is showing as open, so you're luckier than we were! Smile

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 8-02-08 9:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
joe1978, if your hotel is in Vorgerglemm, then it is in or near the same little hamlet we were in. On their website they show the same slope as in my above post so I would suggest it is. It isn't walking distance to Hinterglemm (opposite end of the valley), and I wouldn't have fancied walking to Saalbach either. Taxi's are really easy to get and not too expensive with a group of you. The ski bus stop is right outside, and there are lifts up to the Leogang area right no your door step. Don't worry, you've booked it now, so enjoy it and make the most of it. The pool looks quite chilly though Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski-finder, It's heated apparently (hopefully!!)

Thanks for the info ski-finder, I am really looking forward to it. We're not huge party animals and I know that skibuses are like clockwork in Austria. If it was France I would be worried!!!

joe
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
apres ski - hinterglem's better
nightlife - saalbach is way better
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marctimms, good shout... ski to and apres in Hinterglemm... catch a bus back to your hotel wherever that might be... then go out in Saalbach.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski-finder wrote:
marctimms, good shout... ski to and apres in Hinterglemm... catch a bus back to your hotel wherever that might be... then go out in Saalbach.

Sounds like a plan...and I love a good plan!!! Laughing

joe
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy