Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski instruction in France

Would you choose the ESF for ski tuition?
Always, whether or not there are alternatives
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Yes, I prefer the ESF but would use an independent
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
I have no preference either way
17%
 17%  [ 16 ]
I prefer independents, but would use the ESF
25%
 25%  [ 23 ]
Only if there is no other alternative
12%
 12%  [ 11 ]
I would rather go without lessons if there is no alternative
23%
 23%  [ 21 ]
I never take lessons and have no intention of doing so
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
I would choose an alternative in a different country rather than be stuck with the ESF
12%
 12%  [ 11 ]
Voted : 97
Total Votes : 91

Poster: A snowHead
Mark Hunter wrote:
Please put me right if I'm missing something here, but surely, if the concern is well founded about a lack of professional instructors and an over use of trainees amongst the independants, then it ought to be obvious from feedback/complaints/injuries from poorly instructed skiers. Either the complaints and resultant loss of business would hound the rogues out, or they'd be subject to malpractice suits which would serve to wind their businesses up anyway.

It a fair point, and I'm quite sure true in many case that the standard of instruction is high. But, it's not the point, the average holidaymaker on the slopes may not be in a position to judge the technical merits of the instructor involved, and then you can ask, does it matter of course? If they enjoyed it then maybe it doesn't.

I see above some parallels about other trades, from personal experieince I can't tell if my trust is misplaced in the people I use. I'm reading a bill from a local drain company right now, they seemed to do a good job, the problem I asked them to look seems to have been addressed at least for now. I don't know enough to judge if they fixed it long term or charged too much, if I did I'd have done the job myself Very Happy They are a member of various trade organisations so I'm trusting them the accreditation is up to scratch no matter how daft the scheme. There was no obvious need for my chimney sweep in Germany to have spent 1 year and 1 day away from home working as a sweep, hitching and wearing a daft outfit but they do as the apprenticeship and they do a good job so who am I to argue? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I took a lesson in France the instructor said he spoke English and he did speak a bit but his English wasn't good enough to get across all he wanted to explain. His strong French accent made it very difficult to understand his limited English. It doesn't matter how good the teacher is, if he/she can't communicate with the student then teaching levels will suffer.

Just to be fair and to maintain high teaching standards, shouldn't French ski instructors who wish to teach English students pass an English language test? (Conducted by an English examining body).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB, to an extent that is already the case - although the English Examining Board thing doesn't make much difference at the levels required. A degree in Mandarin Chinese is hardly worthless just because it's not awarded by the University of Beijing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ise wrote:
Mark Hunter wrote:
Please put me right if I'm missing something here, but surely, if the concern is well founded about a lack of professional instructors and an over use of trainees amongst the independants, then it ought to be obvious from feedback/complaints/injuries from poorly instructed skiers. Either the complaints and resultant loss of business would hound the rogues out, or they'd be subject to malpractice suits which would serve to wind their businesses up anyway.

It a fair point, and I'm quite sure true in many case that the standard of instruction is high. But, it's not the point, the average holidaymaker on the slopes may not be in a position to judge the technical merits of the instructor involved, and then you can ask, does it matter of course? If they enjoyed it then maybe it doesn't.

How is it not the point? If you have a bad experience in anything, how do people judge then? If an average holidaymaker wished to learn how to ski GS to competition level, then surely the measure of that is whether they achieve that goal. That's patently obvious. If an average holdaymaker wishes to learn to carve, for example, and they fail to reach that level, they either need more instruction, or an instructor to point out, clearly, why they can't make the progression. Surely the holidaymaker can judge whether the instructor has the technical merit to improve his/her skiing from the experience?

If underqualified instructors are exposed to skiers of higher abilities, who require greater technical input, they will be exposed as not being up to the task. I would suggest in that instant, the individuals or companies they represent would very quickly gain a reputation for unprofessionalism or become subject to a very local and vocal campaign to halt their trade.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mark Hunter, the simple answer is that your hypothetical holidaymaker has no way of knowing if it should take a week to learn to snowplough or not and then no way of personally judging the quality of instruction.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG wrote:
DB, to an extent that is already the case

Please explain.

PG wrote:
although the English Examining Board thing doesn't make much difference at the levels required. A degree in Mandarin Chinese is hardly worthless just because it's not awarded by the University of Beijing.

If it's spoken with a very thick French accent when trying to teach it is. Who better to make sure French ski instructor's English is good enough but the English? Not all qualifications are internationally recognized and interchangable, maybe they need to do some sort of top up qualification (e.g. like some British instructors have to in France). I would personally choose a lower level English ski instructor over a top level foreign instructor with poor English, I'm the customer shouldn't I have the choice?. Maybe this should be done all over the alps as English is the common langauge adopted in Europe. (Of course if French was the most common language then I would have no problem learning French, but it isn't).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise wrote:
Mark Hunter, the simple answer is that your hypothetical holidaymaker has no way of knowing if it should take a week to learn to snowplough or not and then no way of personally judging the quality of instruction.

There's plenty of information available to a hypothetical holidaymaker who wishes to research the subject: from friends, reports on snowHeads, newspaper and magazine articles, and sundry other sources. Just like buying anything else. The amount of research any particular holidaymaker might make can of course very from nothing to exhaustive.

The issue for this thread is whether Joe Punter should have the freedom to choose for himself, with whatever help he thinks appropriate, or whether the choice available should be limited by the government, based on the ratio of instructors with the top qualification to trainees.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman - A question... or three. What ratio would you consider acceptable in a hypothetical ski school with, say, just two qualified instructors? 1 qualified instructor to 5 trainees? 10? 25?

Is there no point at which you would consider it necessary to draw a line and say, beyond this point would clearly be a blatant attempt to circumvent the law, exploit a loophole? Do you believe the safety consideration to be a red herring? Do you think that training standards should only be up to the ski schools concerned, with no regulation whatsoever? If not, who is qualified to draw the line, and where?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman wrote:
The issue for this thread is whether Joe Punter should have the freedom to choose for himself, with whatever help he thinks appropriate, or whether the choice available should be limited by the government, based on the ratio of instructors with the top qualification to trainees.

Rubbish, you'd expect your driving/flying/diving instructor to be qualified not just to be recommended by someone who'd no real experience to make a judgement.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG wrote:
What ratio would you consider acceptable in a hypothetical ski school with, say, just two qualified instructors?

Don't know. I would guess it depends somewhat on the mix of clientele, e.g. novices versus racers. My approach to buying services of this nature is to go with recommedations rather than investigating in detail the personnel policies of the service provider.
Quote:
Is there no point at which you would consider it necessary to draw a line and say, beyond this point would clearly be a blatant attempt to circumvent the law, exploit a loophole?

Not applicable (see below)
Quote:
Do you believe the safety consideration to be a red herring?

In the absence of evidence to the contrary.
Quote:
Do you think that training standards should only be up to the ski schools concerned, with no regulation whatsoever?

Yes, if by that you mean regulation with the force of law.
Quote:
If not, who is qualified to draw the line, and where?

I am quite happy for professional associations to define qualifications, run examinations, accredit schools, etc.

And now a question for anyone else. Does anyone know which other countries have laws regulating ski schools? And which don't? And is there any difference in safety between the two groups? (I might be able to find that out myself, if I know which countries are in which camp.)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ise wrote:
laundryman wrote:

Rubbish, you'd expect your driving/flying/diving instructor to be qualified not just to be recommended by someone who'd no real experience to make a judgement.

With respect, it IS the issue. It's one side of the argument you take to be rubbish.

As for the other activities, anyone driving or flying is a potential danger to the public at large. Society protects itself by ensuring that every driver and flyer demonstrates a minimum standard. Even then, for driving at least, you don't have to take lessons from a qualified instructor (although it is illegal to take money for lessons, if not qualified). You could argue that a badly trained, or untrained, skier is a danger to the public, but the degree is much less: such that not even the French insist on lessons or tests for all skiers. I don't know anything about diving, but a quick bit of googling seems to indicate that the British Sub Aqua Club runs most schools, subject to its own rules, conforming only to the general HSE regulations applicable to all diving at work.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, Ok then. The obvious follow-up questions to my earlier points, given your answers...

- Which professions should be subject to regulatory controls of standards, and what are the defining elements that separate these professions from those you consider should be self-regulated?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG, I fondly imagined that all professions are regulated.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Too long in France - the French expression being "métier réglementé" which implies standards laid down by central government.....

A couple of my jobs in France being translation (not regulated) and freight forwarding/transport (regulated). The latter being open to any Tom Dick or Harry in the UK...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG, I think the obvious cases are where the generality of the population are subject to risks where they have no direct control over the operator, and cannot reasonably mitigate the risks. So, an airline passenger may carefully choose his own carrier, but has not the slightest control over other planes in the sky and it is not reasonable to expect him not to fly to lessen his risk from rogue pilots. It therefore seems sensible that the whole of society club together, via national government and supra-national bodies, to ensure that all pilots are rigorously trained. This must involve the law invoking specific standards. Another example would be gas fitters, who by faulty workmanship could cause an explosion that might demolish neighbouring properties.

A secondary class is where people may not be capable of making a reasoned decision for themselves, due to their condition or circumstances. I'm thinking of the cowboy builder who tells a little old lady she needs a new roof when there's a missing tile, or the cowboy plumber who exploits the fact there's a spurting leak to charge an outrageous price. I think these cases are best dealt with by general laws relating to deception, misrepresentation, etc, simply because it's too much work for the legislature to formulate specific regulations for a myriad of different occupations (especially as new occupations come into being all the time).

Now, I don't think ski instruction falls into either of these classes. The first class would be to do with risks to which we are subject from poorly trained skiers. Since we put up with completely untrained skiers, it seems odd to legislate standards for those who have taken the responsible action of getting some training. In any case, snow sports are a minority activity for which the risks are not that great. There are ways we can mitigate our own risks, for example by getting good training ourselves which teaches ways of avoiding the idiots. If safety on the pistes is an issue (and I don't deny it needs looking at, continuously) then I think it is counterproductive to address it in a way that is likely to decrease the choice and availability and increase the price of such training. It would surely be more effective, and the costs borne more fairly (by all users, not just those responsible enough to seek training), if more piste patrollers were employed to deter and punish reckless behaviour. It would have a side-benefit of providing more career opportunities to excellent skiers.

Neither do purchasers of ski instruction fall into second class of occupation for which some form (preferably indirect) regulation is required. Most will be in the prime of life, in full possession of their mental and physical faculties. In other words, perfectly capable of making their own decisions and not easily intimidated or conned. Even if they are, the risks they run are frankly not that great. I'd rather not cede all decisions of that nature to a supposedly all-knowing state. I think I know my own requirements better than they, and I'm prepared to make the odd mistake along the way. I am over 18.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 7-12-04 20:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
laundryman, nicely put - agree with you 100%
snow report
laundryman,

Even in market economies, the State is a major player in economic life. Defence – education – police, regulatory measures are everywhere.

You’ve given two reasons for intervention, but you’ve missed some out. A key one is imperfection in the functioning of the marketplace. This may have two very different consequences: either it prevents competition in the sector concerned, or it permits it, but with inefficient or undesirable results. The existence of a natural monopoly is a form of market imperfection – eg in the electricity or water industries, where competition has to be artificially created, being fundamentally “anti-economic”.

Other functional imbalances in the marketplace are the result of external factors, such as environmental, hygiene, security issues. You touched on these. Where certain potentially harmful actions do not result in direct consequences for those responsible, regulatory measures are required. This is the key issue as far as the French are concerned.

One final dysfunction results from imbalance in knowledge and expertise – where the seller knows considerably more about his product than the buyer. There is an argument, mentioned by ise, that this applies in ski instruction, but I'll concentrate on the safety/security question in this response.

The main regulated sectors are affected by more than one of the above. Gas, water, telecommunications…

The danger is that these can be used as a pretext to control an activity, such as in the transport of passengers by air. Of course it is important to guarantee security and safety. However, on a worldwide basis, these measures were once used to fix tariffs, and indirectly, the number and financial stability of airlines. So, how to ensure the correct balance is found? Should we let competition and globalization alone guide the process? Obviously not.

Part of the problem is that the issue under discussion in this thread is mainly being looked at from a British perspective. There is little sensitivity to, or understanding of the local environment, the political culture, the national framework, the specifics of the profession concerned in a French context.

Is France alone in imposing substantial regulatory measures? Hardly! It may seem rather a paradox, but throughout the world deregulation and interventionism cohabit surprisingly well in a large number of sectors – financial markets being a prime example.

Anyway, back to ski instruction! Firstly, not many people are aware that alpine ski instruction falls under the “sports educator” denomination. The French hold that a sports educator – across a broad range of activities - is a responsible position involving numerous safety and security issues, particularly with respect to the supervision and teaching of children. This applies throughout the whole sports domain – sailing, tennis, judo, football, diving; approximately 70 different sports in all. Although there are no direct links with the qualifications required to teach sport in schools and colleges, it is the same fundamental philosophy at work, and there are equivalences for sports educators with the BEES diploma to enter state education.

Perceived to be an offshoot of the teaching profession, as is the case with state education, it was seen as a natural step to apply national technical and pedagogical standards to all the disciplines involved.

To sum up. Teaching is a profession, and just as you would expect your school sports teacher to be professionally qualified to a certain standard as he/she is responsible for the health and welfare as well as the correct training of your children, the French believe that those exercising a similar role outside the school gates should be subject to the same professional demands.

They see the exploitation of loopholes such as the ski school trainee status as blatant dilution of those standards they consider to be a core principle of the profession of sports educator.

Whether in skiing, or in any other activity involving the teaching of a sport, especially where adults are in charge of children in loco parentis, the French believe that the best guarantor of uniform standards is the state. They consider that a free-for-all, deregulated approach to activities involving health, safety and educational elements would be totally irresponsible. You will find only a minute minority of French people that would entertain the possibility of self-regulation in a teaching field involving health and safety issues, especially when it affects such a large number of young people under the age of 18.
snow report
PG, thank you for putting across some complex issues in such a coherent fashion.
snow conditions
PG, I'm happy to agree with most of the above. The regulation of monopolies is interesting - and not a little germane. I think I'm right in saying that the need for it was first espoused by Marx, and yet has been taken up by most capitalist countries and particularly enthusiastically by the United States of all places.

You know that I've harped on myself about cultural differences between Britain and France. I do think it explains a lot, and we're as well to show some sensitivity towards each other. The interesting thing is whether/how these clashes will get ironed out at the EU level. In the meantime, British people can of course vote with their feet and, with the collapsing dollar, I think it could be as well for the powers that be in France to be flexible towards their strange Anglo-Saxon-Celtic neighbours, with their attachment to individual liberty, at this time!
ski holidays
PG, Well put.

laundryman, Do you really think that any unqualified holiday skier (however experienced) should be encouraged to teach anyone they want to and be paid for it? What about danger from avalanches? What about terrain selection? What about how fast to ski for each level/client? What about which sort of turns to make? What about the mechanics of the turn? What about which skis to use? What about mountain lore? I could go on for ever!!
I see disasters every day of every winter (no exaggeration) with people teaching their friends and loved ones. The poor tutee usually ends up put off for life, hurt or worse.

I'm proud to be qualified to work in France where I'm considered a professional in my chosen profession. I was glad to get away from the "ski bum" culture of the UK. Hooray for French laws!! Laughing It's a pity they're no longer enforcing them with the same zeal they used 15 years ago.

BTW it costs £5 -10,000 to get through all the Ski Teaching exams and courses, and this applies to the French as well.
latest report
easiski wrote:
laundryman, Do you really think that any unqualified holiday skier (however experienced) should be encouraged to teach anyone they want to and be paid for it?

No. I don't believe I've said that.
ski holidays
laundryman, Ok, but by inference, if the regulation is not required because there is not sufficient perception of danger etc. then clearly any Tom, Dick or Harry could do it. There is plenty of choice within the existing laws in France, you only have to look for it.
snow report
easiski, I don't think Tom, Dick or Harry would prosper for very long. While they did, I suspect the damage they would do would be slight compared to "mates" who either put people off for life or teach them to ski out of control or other bad habits.

As for plenty of choice, who is to say what is enough, the consumer or the producer?
latest report
laundryman,
Quote:
As for plenty of choice, who is to say what is enough, the consumer or the producer?

Given that we live in a democracy, and that the large majority of consumers purchasing these services in France consider regulatory controls of teaching standards in sports to be both desirable and necessary, the answer to your question is staring you in the face. It is the consumer, and he is getting precisely what he wants. Minimum professional standards in a teaching profession involving responsibility for children and safe practice in a potentially dangerous environment.

Or are you suggesting that we go against the wishes of the majority - and the consumer?
snow conditions
PG, I believe in liberal democracy where majorities don't willy-nilly impose their thinking on minorities.
snow report
Ah, I'm with you now, the kind of democracy where you're happy to accept the express wishes of the majority as long as they conform with your own. wink
ski holidays
I have to say, this thread is turning into an extremely eloquently argued discussion on the pros and cons of regulation of the ski instruction industry, and I'm finding it highly educational. My congratulations to all parties. Very Happy

From my point of view, the minute that money starts to change hands, it implies a much higher standard of "duty of care" than is needed for a purely friendly favour. Inherent in this duty of care is the need to comply with an accepted standard of professional qualifications, which has to be monitored and administered by a governing body, be this the state, a professional association, or some other independant body. When this involves a combination of a potentially risky activity, along with the pastoral care of minors and other vulnerable people, at some point the populous as a whole will call for state regulation, either before, or after a tragedy has happened. I believe this to be the case with outward bounds instructors in the UK following some tragedies on school trips. This is generally thought to be a good thing, and long overdue. This case has many parallels with ski instruction in France. With any form of legislation, loopholes will always be found, and people will always try to exploit them, it is the job of the legislature to close them as they are found, and this would seem to be what is happening in France.

To balance this, we have to look at the issue of ski instruction in France from a historical perspective. It is only in fairly recent years that the ESF has started to accept competition from independant outfits, and not always with good grace. A small minority have brought the name of the ESF into disrepute by using underhand tactics to try and drive out competition from their resorts, leading to the stories of cars being set on fire and the like, whilst the vast majority have accepted the opening of the market, and quite rightly, have tried to maintain their market share by all means within the law. A common complaint is that the ESF don't play fair with the competition, which seems to be an unrealistic expectation, as after all they are a business, and are in competition with their competitors rather than in cooperation with them, it is to be expected that they would use any advantage that they have.

To further complicate things is the reputation of the surly ESF ski instructor, which deserved or undeserved, is a reputation that they have amongst a significant proportion of British skiers. My experience in this area, is that usually when there is a complaint about someone who is providing a service to the public, it almost always comes down to poor communication. Communication is a two way thing, and I would remind us all, we are talking about a service in France, in an earlier post, someone complains about the instructors English being spoken with a thick French accent, and suggests language testing by an English examination board for all those who want to teach English people to ski! This displays massive levels of cultural arrogance, firstly by assuming that the majority of people wanting tuition are English, and secondly by assuming that it is the duty of the French to learn better English, rather than the English to learn better French. We should be grateful that he speaks English at all, rather than complain about the quality of it. Once again this would seem to come down to the rather common quality of being able to find fault with someone else, rather than look inwards to see what one is lacking. However unjust this situation is, it still leads to the situation where British skiers would prefer a fluent English speaking instructor, which, rightly or wrongly, is usually seeb as meaning one of the ESFs competitors.

Taking into account these three perspectives, it is no wonder that what is seen by the ESF as sensible regulation, is simultaneously seen by some independant ski schools as anti-competitive, and perceived by British skiers as something that is disadvantageous to them, however as we are talking about something that happens in France, the final say must go to the French. It is, after all, their country.
snow report
PG wrote:
Ah, I'm with you now, the kind of democracy where you're happy to accept the express wishes of the majority as long as they conform with your own. wink

I'm not proposing to limit anybody's freedom. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer wrote:
however as we are talking about something that happens in France, the final say must go to the French. It is, after all, their country.

The final say will probably be with European institutions. It could go either way. Of course the French could restore full sovereignty by leaving the EU. wink Or we could leave and have no rights in France whatsoever.
ski holidays
Quote:
Yet that would be the direct consequence if your ideas were accepted. The freedom to choose of the majority to boot.
Quote:

Of course the French could restore full sovereignty by leaving the EU. wink Or we could leave and have no rights in France whatsoever.
The odds are definitely on the latter. That should tell people something about what's going on .... Smile
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Quote:
Yet that would be the direct consequence if your ideas were accepted. The freedom to choose of the majority to boot.
Puzzled How so?
Quote:
Quote:
Of course the French could restore full sovereignty by leaving the EU. wink Or we could leave and have no rights in France whatsoever.
The odds are definitely on the latter.
Definitely more likely than the former, but still less than 50% chance in my view.
Quote:
That should tell people something about what's going on .... Smile

Not sure what you mean by this.
snow report
Steady chaps - remember that this is a service industry that we are talking about.

It is immaterial whether it is in France or not - if the ESF wish to attract and keep English speaking customers, there is a need to provide instructors who can communicate effectively in clear English.

If the ESF do not want such customers they can do what ever they want and leave these customers to other organisations.
snow conditions
john wells, obviously. That is presumably one reason why the English couple - both qualified instructors at Meribel - that I was chatting to at a judo competition in Aime on Saturday, were poached from an independent ski school and now work for Meribel ESF.
latest report
Hi all

Just a little tip on how to get more value for your money in regards to ski lessons.

Now, I've only tried this with the ESF, so there is no guarantee it will work with other schools or in other countries! Also, it only works for advanced/expert skiers.

All you do is sign up for advanced/experts lessons though a tour operator. Normally you will get two hours a day with a good instructor and you'll be unlucky if you have more then three people in your group.

One year it was just me and the instructor, two hours a day, for five days and it only cost me £60!

Lubbly jubbly!
ski holidays
I don't understand where all this "they don't speak english" is coming from with regard to the ESF. Here in LDA we have an ESF of 160 permanent instructors (I believe it's the 2nd largest in France). Of these 160 about 140 speak some degree of English, about 100 speak passable English, about 60 good English and about 20 fluent english. I think that's pretty good. Of course they have an accent, but if you come from the South East like me, how well do you understand the Geordies? PG has no accent inFrench that I can discern, but I do. I try to pronounce the words correctly, but definitely fail. I would count my spoken French as fluent though.

Now I hate to be an apologist for the ESF, since I've suffered at the hands of their union, but many of the complaints are either very old hat or just repeated gossip. Having said that I would not book group lessons with any ESF anywhere in France, and would want to have a recommendation for any instructor I hired as a private.

In addition, if you were on our glacier this week you would see around 200 ESFs from all over France being refreshed and recycled. They're working hard on their technique (modern), giving us beautiful examples of how it should be done, and then being marked on their performance. The ESI refresher is one day, the BASI one is half a day. The ESF are doing a whole week! Confused
snow report
easiski, if the situation were reversed, how many English people would be speaking French I wonder?
snow conditions
Kramer, Not as many I suspect. rolling eyes
latest report
easiski, how well did you understand us? Very Happy
snow report
Kramer wrote:
...... in an earlier post, someone complains about the instructors English being spoken with a thick French accent, and suggests language testing by an English examination board for all those who want to teach English people to ski! This displays massive levels of cultural arrogance, firstly by assuming that the majority of people wanting tuition are English, and secondly by assuming that it is the duty of the French to learn better English, rather than the English to learn better French. We should be grateful that he speaks English at all, rather than complain about the quality of it. Once again this would seem to come down to the rather common quality of being able to find fault with someone else, rather than look inwards to see what one is lacking. However unjust this situation is, it still leads to the situation where British skiers would prefer a fluent English speaking instructor, which, rightly or wrongly, is usually seeb as meaning one of the ESFs competitors.

Yes I'm the arrogant one Laughing

An Austrian friend of mine just got back from working on an international project in Paris. At the first meeting everybody was sat round the table and a Frenchman said "we are in France so we will speak French". This was even though he knew quite a few people round the table didn't speak French, I thought that was arrogant. My friend said "now I could understand if I was living there for a long period of time then I would learn the language but in the other many places I've worked in Europe the international language has always been English. Only in France do they insist on speaking the native tongue."

I ski because I enjoy it, any lessons I have taken were to improve my skiing so I can improve/maintain my enjoyment of the sport. I don't have to take lessons or be of a certain standard to hit the slopes. This isn't a driving test I'm taking, I just want to have fun. Maybe others share the same opinion.

Now the teacher needs to communicate with the student, maybe the student skis in many countries and doesn't have the time to learn five or so different languages. Every other skiing country I have been to accepts that English is the international language. I'm not averse to learning new languages (I'm learning business German at the moment). If French was spoken in as many places as English I would learn it but sorry it just isn't that much use to me.

When I hear of stories about English skiing qualifications not being accepted in France and British ski instructors coming under pressure from the large French ski instruction companies, it only makes me want to support these British ski instructors more and recognize that their ability to speak English is a big plus.

It appears to me that certain ski instructional aspects/rules are being enforced to push the small British/non-French operator out, if people like the ESF really wanted to look after the customer they would improve the English of the instructors.

I believe more people (from all over the world not just England) would want to ski in France and take lessons in France if the communication between the teacher / student was better. Fortunately there is a common language that most European countries speak, English.
latest report
Quote:
At the first meeting everybody was sat round the table and a Frenchman said "we are in France so we will speak French".

I'm sorry, but that hardly ever happens any more. Unless it is previously established that those present prefer to use French, in most cases English will be used. All I can say is that your friend must have been very unlucky indeed. I can just about imagine that happening if he was an employee attending his French head office, but at a meeting of equals of different nationalities? No way. Unless interpreters were on hand, but given that all French execs these days go through intensive courses in business English, interpreters are rarely needed any more.

The reason why a uniform, national sports educator programme is preferred to a market-driven system in France has been explained. It is what the majority of customers want. I've yet to see a single persuasive argument for abandoning a process which provides parents with the reassurance that the teachers, responsible for instructing children in what may be a dangerous sport, have undergone lengthy and comprehensive training. The bar is no higher for the Brits than for the French - so what's the big deal?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy