Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for Intermediates

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, My first post:

I am looking to buy my first set of skis for this season, I have 4 week's experience in the last 2 years, can now ski some blacks but not with that much confidence. I weight 70Kg (11st or 154lbs), 5'9 and I have Salomon Eclipse 8.0 Boots. There are so many makes and models that I don't know where to start ! A colleague swears by Volkl, Salomon are very popular here in France.

Help Please!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ecosse011172, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead Which part of France are you in ? Can you send us snow reports ?

Oh and on topic - sorry - the only skis I ever bought were long thin things 10 years ago. I've skied on rented Volkl Carver Motions a couple of times and found them fine - but I'm very much an intermediate skier.

The techies will chip in soon I'm sure with better advice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads ecosse011172! That's a very interesting numeric demention to your name. I don't know if it quite has the impact of 'James Bond007' though Wink

Start by not buying any yet!

By all means ask everyone what they think u should ski on then find a shop in resort which meets 2 very basic criteria.
1) It has all (or a good number) of the skis on your maybe list in its hire dept.
2) It's right next to the piste. ie. Virtually ski in/ski out.

Tell them u are determined to buy your own skis this year and mention a few from your list. They will usually be all too happy to do u a day or two's hire with the added facility of being able to swap skis as often as u like.
Just don't be shy about it: the more enthusuastic u are, the more they'll fall over themselves to help usually.

A friend and I spent a whole day taking out a fresh pair of skis each every 2 hrs from a shop in Val-Thorens. And, honestly, as a day's mission it was as exciting as any other day's skiing. We skiied the same few runs over and over as a control and learnt more about skis in one day than we had picked up in decades! It also taught me a lot about my own skiing.

Every manufacturer will have between 1 and 5 models of ski targeted directly at U but only u will know hwich suits U best... Test!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ecosse, welcome to snowheads, most of the advice I'm sure you'll get will be based on hiring as many different types of ski as possible, which would also be my comment. However, if you are certain that buying skis this year will aid your progression, then you should look at the softer lower rated skis that all manufacturers produce.
Again, ask yourself the question, how long will these skis suit my skiing, which will improve and evolve as you get more experience.
Your choices are huge and presumably you're not encumbered by the prejudices that all skiers have toward certain brands, usually based on poor expereince. My own view is that Dynastar are one of the best makes, their skis, in my experience are hardwearing and are often better made or freerer of manufacturing flaws than the equivalent Salomon, for example. We rent skis to our clients and the skis we hold for less experienced skiers is the Agyll range, soft for easy turn iniatiationbut not too soft, good torsional capability and durable hard wearing bases. Try as many as you can and when you find something your comfortable with, go with that.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 23-11-04 17:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone, I hoped that having my own skis that I would become comfortable with would help my development. Another reason is that I shall be going for 2 weeks plus several weekends this year (and for the next few years if possible) so all the ski hire costs would more than pay for new skis....

I live in Paris but I'm Scottish, as for snow reports, from what I've read things are looking good, Tignes just had a 10cm fall and has plenty of lifts open...... Very Happy

Anyone have opinions on makes to help me identify a shortlist to test?
Denis
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ecosse011172, You should not think about makes. Mostly the make doesn't make very much difference. I can understand why you want you own, living in Paris and having lots of opportunity to pop off for the weekend.

As David@traxvax, said you should be looking at the right RANGE. You won't be good enough yet to really feel very much difference between the different skis. However I would say that Salomon IMHO are overpriced (you ay for their excellent marketing), and Atomic should be approached with care as many of their skis are quite precise. Other than that I should go and as previously suggested, tell the shop that you're looking for skis to buy and try different ones every day. When you find a pair you like - buy them, and you'll probably get the hire free.

Welcome to snowheads by the way! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski wrote:
Atomic should be approached with care as many of their skis are quite precise.

Could you elaborate? Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MartinH, I think what she means is: Errors in technique you might think minor get amplified by the ski, especially if the length is incorrect for your size and weight and the flex is incorrect for your intended use and abilities.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ecosse011172,

This thread may help .....

http://snowheads.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3390

Short listing intermediate skis and then looking at many reviews (but taking each review with a pince of salt) to determine your shortlist might be the way to go.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try this link, this will enable you to make a selection. Maybe consider some that you can grow into in terms of proficiency so that you can get a few years use out of them.

http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/activity/ski/equipment/skis/ability/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ecosse011172, in general, you'll want to hire skis before you purchase. However, narrow down your choices before you do that. You may want to try the Gear Selector at Ski Magazine, provided you have some idea of what you're seeking.

Personally, I do think that different brands have different attributes, including both quality and ski feel. I am partial to a relatively narrow range of brands that fit this for me, including Atomic, Elan, and Fischer. You might consider the Ficher RX6, the Atomic M:10, or the Elan S10. Volkls may also be in your range, and you might consider the 7 24 AXP.

Again, though, try some out on one of those early weekends. Try a couple of different pair each day. You'll be amazed how quickly you can tell the difference.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:
Atomic should be approached with care as many of their skis are quite precise.

Don't knock Atomics! I've got some Atomics (C:9.18, bought 2 yrs ago) which had really good reviews in all the magazines. I tried them out by renting them first and bought some because I thought they skied better than the other rental skis I tried. I find them great for all conditions on and off-piste. Cool snowHead

Mr Snowy has some Atomic SX9 skis. He says they are so grippy them ping him round the corner faster than he's expecting sometimes. I don't think his are as good as mine...unless it's my super-standard skiing that makes all the difference. wink Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've used the SX9s, they're lovely and springy for short radius turns.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you want to play with Atomics, you might also try the M:10 and M:9.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fischer RX6's are a quality ski, they have a real good feel about them light but not flimsy they brought my skiing on loads. As admin said try them first the RX6's suit how i like to ski they may not suit you.
snow report
Take the advice given, pick a whole big bunch and...demo, demo, demo! Mr. Green
snow report
Love the RX6s (I ski the RX8). You might also try the Atomic Metron b5...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy