Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are cross trainers any good for skiing fitness

Poster: A snowHead
I don't think my exercise machine is going to hold out much longer. Now I know you can exercise at no expense on the floor, but that's not really me - I've been looking at these cross trainers. Are they any use, esp. for skiing fitness? In particular for lower leg power. My current gadget really improved my lower leg power last year and I found it was a real help. Or else has anyone else got some that would work better
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're looking at cross trainers (which are great for cardio as they are non-impact) then have a look at this. It's an absolutely stupid price and gets good write ups.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use a cross trainer for CV work. Don't do any strength work, although I should do some exercises to strengthen core muscles as I collapse too often at the waist.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I reckon they are good for all round fitness, and if you don't use your arms, you can feel the effect on your legs....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having started on a crash course get fit 3 weeks at the gym Embarassed Embarassed , I have found they have a great machine, like a stepper but doing a skating motion where you push down and away with each foot. If you don't hold on to the bars it works your core muscles as well. Probably cost a lot to buy though.

I think steppers are great and you can get pretty cheap ones for the home
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy, oh wonderful, do you have a picture?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, thankfully not! It's not a pretty sight first thing in the morning Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B, That looked a good suggestion esp. with the write ups. and miles cheaper than I'd been looking at - its a bit of a spontaneous decision - something I don't often do, but I've ordered one Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yes, but do i have one at home, no
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do not know about suitability for skiing muscles, but I bought a machine 6 weeks ago and it is simply fantastic for cardio and aerobic exercise. I got mine for weight loss and it has been remarkably successful.

My experience has shown that cheap is NOT cheerful. If you want to use a machine for a few days for a few minutes and then forget about it, get a cheap machine. If you have a real intention to get fit or lose weight, you need to really think about spending more money. The cheap machines tend to be light weight and flimsy in comparison and this is just a bad combination when you consider you have your whole weight bearing down on the thing. Also the flywheels are far too light and thus the motion is very jerky. For serious use, you will likely demolish a budget machine within a matter of weeks/months. Id advise thinking about £300+ for this end.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
buns, I would tend to agree with your viewpoint. However, the machine is so cheap that it won't matter if I wreck it in a few months (compared with the cost of gym membership) at least I'll have found out whether I like the idea and then if I do I'll buy one costing a bit more.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy, I meant the machine? Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, indeed Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dunno, one of these might be a nice sight in the morning:

link

?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
buns, I would tend to agree with your viewpoint. However, the machine is so cheap that it won't matter if I wreck it in a few months (compared with the cost of gym membership) at least I'll have found out whether I like the idea and then if I do I'll buy one costing a bit more.

Just be wary all the same... if i had initially used the machine (cheap) which my sister owns, I would never have bought the better one, such is the difference in the experience.
snow conditions
As gym kit goes, I quite like using the cross-trainer. I usually use 'reverse mode' - which cycles through 5 mins in forward and 2 mins in reverse.
ski holidays
snap laundryman Smile I use x train reverse or something which has hands off minutes as well..........
snow report
What different muscles does the Reverse mode train?
snow conditions
mdemon2, I feel my hamstrings mainly. Calves too, I think.
ski holidays
laundryman, that's interesting, must try it, since I usually xtrain forwards only. 'cept I always feel that both hamstrings and calves tend to need more stretching than they do strengthening. For me, the group I really work on the strength of, for skiing, is the quads (to take the strain off the knees, apart from anything else) though they need lots of stretching too. But I guess that, doing a lot of Pilates, I am able to recognise/isolate the things that are more necessary for me, but people's needs will differ.
snow report
Hurtle, when talking skiing sore/tired quads = need lessons ..... For knee safety work stabilisers and deceleration training
snow conditions
I'm really working on the hamstrings - the resistance rower - seated with legs out front lets me put my balls of foot on the front bar and then flex my ankle so the heels go forward and the toes go backwards towards my nose. I can then bring the foot back level by working against the resistance (which is against my own weight). I can now do 40 of these at a time where I couldn't when I started so I think my legs are getting stronger.
ski holidays
little tiger, I may well need lessons, in fact I do, but I don't get sore/tired quads. And my knees are holding up well, despite past soft tissue injury and old age! I have no idea what it's called (in fact no idea what either stabilisers or deceleration training are) but one first rate Pilates-inspired exercise for quads/knees and other bits besides, is to sit straight, with tummy muscles engaged, one knee bent, other leg out straight - and move straight leg slowly from side to side for a few reps or a lot of reps! wink I admit to being a Pilates (mat-based) addict. Though, like Megamum, I also do lots of rowing - but cannot understand the manoeuvre she has just described.
Puzzled
snow report
PS should this be in BZK? It seems to be about skiing...
ski holidays
OK, it's been delivered and is standing in the sitting room - do I just power it until I feel I've had enough and is it better to go fast or slow at any one specific resistance?
snow report
Megamum, try it and see. Oh, and let me know what it's like, I'm still thinking about ordering one!
snow conditions
And just for comprex I've found the skating-type stepper machine I use at the gym - it's called the Cardio Wave Very Happy http://www.technogym.com/gb/viewdoc.asp?co_id=164&target=commercial
snow conditions
I've just done 10 minutes medium brisk rate - the read out reckons that about 200 calories. Just think 10 minutes on the machine, yet you can eat that 200 calories in about 45 seconds if you scoff a Mr Kipples mince pie Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I started going to a personal trainer at the gym as I felt that I wasn't really getting much fitter on my own. He made me do 10 mins on 3 different machines to start with. Start off at a normal pace for 1 min then when you hit 1 min go as fast as you can for 10 secs then back to normal pace, when you hit 2 mins sprint for 20 secs, for 30 secs when you hit 3 mins, 40 secs at 4 mins, 50 secs at 5 mins, 40 secs at 6 mins, 30 secs at 7 mins, 20 secs at 8 mins then 10 secs at 9 mins. I did this on 3 different machines and definately got a lot fitter than spending a longer time on the machine at a normal brisk pace. The 40, 50, 40 sec sprint bit is the killer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy