Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family skiing - on low, medium or high budgets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In today's Daily Telegraph, Peter Hardy (co-editor of the Good Skiing Guide) compares 3 different (hypothetical) families on hugely contrasting budgets, selecting worthwhile holidays for each spend:

Family A travel at a cost of £13,000+, family B do it for £4,000+, and family C work on a shoestring budget of £2,000+.

See how it's done by clicking here. (access usually requires registration/log-in)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 20-11-04 23:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
£2000 sounds quite alot to me. I have families who come ski-ing on considerably less than that 2 adults, 2 kids. You can if you really want to. 500 euros rent chalet on camp site below the resort, then drive over using Speedferries (currently £50 return). Liftpasses, ski hire and you're there. You don't count food 'cos you need that anyway. Possible for about £1350. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One of the nicest thing about skiing is that we are equal at the top of the slopes. No money in the world is going to matter. It is all down to care, judgement and the personal skill.

All the extra money is spent on away from the piste and so it isn't really for skiing, is it?.

One thing for sure a skier who has to spend £13,000 for a trip obviously hasn't got much skiing to show off and hopes the money can buy him/her some respect.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee wrote:
One thing for sure a skier who has to spend £13,000 for a trip obviously hasn't got much skiing to show off and hopes the money can buy him/her some respect.

How is that obvious? £13,000 is small beer to some people, and they presumably spend it on the the same kind of creature comforts they're used to at home. Doesn't mean they're poor skiers necessarily. For the record, I'm at the low end of the Telegraph's spectrum.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With a family of five,I'm a card carrying member of the budget club Wink If money was no object,would I enjoy it any more?Personally,I doubt it.There is a satisfaction to be had in sorting(and haggling)the best deals.Yet to come across a lift for 'Gold' card carriers,and the level of dissatisfaction seems to rise proportionate to the money spent??Me? I actively seek 'value for money'.Not into gratuitous waste(of any sort)We all work hard to do the things we enjoy;its easy to spend a fortune for little return IMHO.Its a well documented fact that,if things come to you with little or no effort,you will appreciate it less.My hols take a lot of effort and I relish every minute.Would imagine that some of the 'monied' people have a very jaded palette.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Must admit that I also thought that the low end was on the high side, especially as they are going in March. My deal for over New Year for the 5 of us came to quite a bit less than their lowest figure (including lessons, equipment hire and passes). But then I suppose it isn't Val D'Isere.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did a trip to Serre Chevalier in April for £1400 for 4 people not including food, but did include carhire, flights, lift passes, apartment, and ski hire for 2 .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
£2,000 is on the high side, we've booked our own flights accommodation etc in Bulgaria (£500+ less), and our neighbours have just booked an appartment in Tignes in a ferry deal, which with lift passes etc should work out about the same price.

And both of us are paying considerably more to go in half term. I have had serious thoughts about taking them out of school due to the price difference the week before or after can be.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowskisnow, You and I have a lot in common, apart from your enviable number of kids!

I work hard for my ski holidays and appreciate every minute on piste. I too am at the bargain basement end, it seems, which I think of as the height of luxury!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Bish wrote:
snowskisnow, You and I have a lot in common, apart from your enviable number of kids!

Just like to clear up one point;I've got three kids,there are five of us in total!

Budget v Expensive? Try this:Andorra(El Tarter)a while back.Staying in budget(small)hotel,catered.Befriended by family staying in big,luxury hotel by side of lift station.Cant remember name,but its the huge,timber cladded thing with private drive.They were raving about how wonderful this place was;so decided to check it out.And very nice it was too.Big,open plan reception lounge with log fires and free coffee & nibbles.Various things for kids(sold as family hotel)inc Playstation terminals!!Very nice fitness suite inc small pool,Jacuzzi and Steam Room.Several things quickly became apparent.As the hotel had no effective way of policing the lounge,every man & his dog was using it;all for free Toofy Grin The fitness suite was 'managed' by an outside company,so everyone(inc guests)had to pay Sad Checked out the rooms,tiny!!Obviously to maximise space.Menu,nothing inspiring.In fact,because of the family thing,burgers,chips & pizza featured heavily.Luxurious extras;umm the towels were nice,and you got free shampoo Confused Confused

Us-well our 'budget' hotel gave us wonderful,varied food(local specialities featured a lot)As much free wine as you could handle,or not!!!Sat TV with dedicated Andorran snow/piste reports.Free,heated,ski locker.Nice hosts(esp the 'Chef',dab hand at a full cooked breakfast,mmmm)So,we used luxury hotel during day,ski in rear door,nice coffee and bickies,ski out to lift station.Our 'budget place' for meals,then over to lounge to chill and sober up on free coffee Toofy Grin Brilliant week.Dont remember our 'friends' being quite so happy.Price difference.......enormous snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I seem to remember someone on here (or Ski CLub?), who loves trying to ski for less each year (Jayne Durham , I think ). Flights aparment and car hire cost me £800, the only thing you all pay the same for are the lift passes. Everything else can be discounted one way or another.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its a game that everyone should play rolling eyes For too long tour operators have had it their own way.The net has opened it all up Laughing I have several tactics,but the main one is to phone ea provider several times.Most will log your details,so that when you recall,it pops up on the screen in front of them(makes you look a good prospect IMO)Get the persons name,and ask for them when you recall.All are on commission,get close & personal Shocked Did just this with Iglu.Started at £220,few calls/days later,bought at £180 Laughing Laughing This is for a week at Les deux Alps.Bargain!!

End result for my family=3wks in total playing in the snow,for less than some will spend for one Shocked I know which I'd rather have.Plus,I can still afford to go to the bash of the year and take my son with me.4wks for us two;getting excited now snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy