Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Integrated bindings.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Many of the big name skis now come as a package with integrated bindings.

So if you buy the ski you have to buy a binding.

Is this a racket ?

Retailers get more money on each purchase. Binding manufacturer associated to a particular ski automatically makes a sale too.

I notice that there is very little explanation of bindings nowadays. It is just a paragraph next to the main ski ad.

Suppose you do not like a particular binding manufacturer ? If they are in a package you have to reject the ski as well.

In the old days, preference was given to particular brands according to the country you were in e.g. Tyrolia in Austria, Salomon in France.

I'm not sure how this new trend will pan out.

To end on a positive note, one brand of integrated binding does seem particularly easy to adjust for different boot sizes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Latchigo wrote:
Many of the big name skis now come as a package with integrated bindings.

So if you buy the ski you have to buy a binding.

You can often buy the same skis naked as well. It may be that the shop doesn't stock them though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
You can often buy the same skis naked as well.

Shocked Do the shop assistants join in the fun?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess there's two types of "integrated" binding.
First is the one where you have a unique mounting system, e.g. Salomon's Pilot, or Marker's rail.
Then you have the one where a pre-drilled riser plate is fitted to the ski, and is designed to take one of a range of bindings.
Riser plates can be removed and replaced with blanks, so, theoretically, you could put whatever binding you wanted on, but it would cost more.

The retaillers don't make more money on the integrated systems, as they are charged more by manufacturers who force them to buy their bindings.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had in mind what you call a 'unique mounting system'.

The term 'riser plate' I associate with those attachments you could buy to get more banked turns on carving skis.

I have not seen those advertised in the UK this season.

So the standard choice, in the the UK anyway, is normally attach binding directly to ski or buy ski with unique mounting system binding.

Shops also do packages on, say, Rossignol Bandits where you can buy Rossignol bindings; but you can buy Bandits skis without bindings.

My point is how long before Rossignol decide they are missing a trick ?

You could also counterclaim that Rossignol was the best selling ski in the UK partly because many people could transfer perfectly good bindings from their old skis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have some Volkls with their unique bindings, the beauty of them is that they adjust easily for a big range of boot lengths. Likewise for a couple of pairs of Atomics I've got. OTOH, I've some Looks drilled into the Zags and they're not very adjustable so they fit one pair of my boots fine but the other is a problem.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy