Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whatever happened to short radius turns and moguls ?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at the brochures, you might assume that everybody will be skiing off piste for most of the holiday.

So skis are described in terms of 1) how they handle off piste then 2) how they carve on piste and 5) lastly in terms of turn variability and moguls.

Terrain parks get nearly as much coverage.

Is this aspirational marketing at work ?

Most people still spend most of the time on piste surely ?

Apart from the gear, the off piste conditions need to be attractive. Piste conditions will always offer something unless the resort is closed. For off piste you may also need a guide/insurance/ability.

If there is a huge dump then you can hire appropriate skis, although I would prefer to rent a board.

Having said that, on the last couple of trips I took snowboard boots with me but there were no powder days, so they got no use.

I like to have a ski that could handle moguls even if the user struggles. Similarly short radius turns. Carving very fast GS turns is fine, but on crowded slopes you need other strings to your bow.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A very good point Latchigo. Many people uses skis that are totally inappropriate for their intended use or skill level.

Two good examples are people hiring pocket rockets for the week and then spending the whole week on the piste, the second example being people who or buy twin tips and then never go near the fun park. What is the point? They'd have a much better time on an all round ski, which would stiil work almost as well off piste or in the fun park.

It is absolutely a triumph of marketing over common sense.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I kinda disagree.
Perhaps this is true for skiing in Europe, but when I look at the resorts in Utah or Wyoming, the important thing is about how your skis handle off-piste. How they carve on piste is important, cause that's what modern piste skis are about. If you're interested in skidding your turns, then get straight skis.
I agree with kramer about people with inappropriate skis, or ski setup. I made sure my Pistols were mounted up for powder, not park, so the main use of the rear tip is in creating champagne rooster tails snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I kinda(sic) disagree.
snowHead

I have skied Utah and Europe.

I agree that the piste/trail sking is more limited in the US than in Europe. That still does'nt mean that most Utah skiers are off-piste.

Certainly not in Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude. Definitely not in Park City.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Latchigo, fun discussion.

Regarding short turns: does *no one* hire or buy hyper-carvers anymore? My ancient Atomic 9'11s can have more fun in 50m of slope than a pair of miniskis.

Regarding Kramer's triumph of marketing: YES! Notice that newer skis (for more money) can make you a hero in powder, and a player in the pipe, but there really is very little exciting *gear* they can market for bumps that hasn't been there for aeons. Hmmm. Anyone done Dendix bumps?

Disagree with Kramer on twintips, though, unless he's skinning someplace. They are not new, however, and even "classic" skis now have a bit of turnup at the tail, see Elan M666/M555 for example.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree, they all have a tiny bit of a turnup at the back, but I think that again this is for marketing reasons rather than any other reason. I always thought that twin tips served one purpose, and that was for skiing backwards, although I am willing to be corrected on this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer wrote:
I agree, they all have a tiny bit of a turnup at the back, but I think that again this is for marketing reasons rather than any other reason. I always thought that twin tips served one purpose, and that was for skiing backwards, although I am willing to be corrected on this.

No, the whole point of twin-tips is as wtfh pointed out, to spray anyone tailgating you with snow snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, I stand corrected.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting. By piste you mean a groomed run? For many here you ski groomed runs to warm up, to get from the off-piste areas back to the lift and when your legs finally give out at the end of the day. Or if off-piste conditions are really bad and cruising fast on the groomers is all that is available. It is true that most beginers and intermediates stick mostly to groomed runs but I think most upper intermediates, advanced and expert skiers have more fun off-piste.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A piste is a marked run on the map, for which your standard ski insurance will cover you.

It may be prepared, but not necessarily on a frequent basis. They may just let the moguls build up.

A piste will certainly be patrolled and swept by pisteurs before the lifts close.

As regards fun, there is off piste and there is off piste.

Straying a short distance from a prepared run, in good conditions, is different to hiking off to virgin slopes, far from the madding crowd.

In Europe pistes are often a lot wider than trails in the US. They can be big open areas, not just road-width passages through the mountains.

From what I have seen in California and Utah, it is my belief that most US skiers, not just beginners and intermediates, are on piste rather than off piste for most of the time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fiddler, You make me almost want to come to the States - I thought you got arrested for going really off piste over there Wink
Twin tips are supposed to be for ski-ing backwards but they're becoming a fashion statement. I love my Scratch FSs, but the twin tips are a pain on gondolas or leaning themagainst a wall.
Kramer, the pocket rocket is such a pretty colour Shocked

To get back to the question - ski on slalom skis, the modern ones are brilliant in moguls, and short turns are what they're made for.comprex, comment about hiss 9,11s are a case in point. I ski slalom carvers (Volkl P50) every day and save the Scratch FSs for off piste days. They're also pretty good at short turns and moguls by the way. Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

ski on slalom skis, the modern ones are brilliant in moguls, and short turns are what they're made for.

Easiski fair comment about slalom skis and short radius turns.

However, slalom skis, surprisingly, are not that well-regarded for moguls.

I think the tails are a bit on the stiff side or something. I am no expert on ski construction. I just remember the explanations from a few years back.

Race skis do badly for both versatility and moguls in the Snow & Rock table for example. Worse than any other category, including basic on piste skis. That may also tell me something about S&R, of course.

I apologise for quoting from S & R. I know it is boring, but other surveys will show similar results.

If you go back a few years, Ski Magazine actually had a separate section for mogul skis.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Latchigo, The citizen "race" slaloms (Atomic 9.12, SL9 ) release the tail very, very well and do famously in bumps. It's the top race and race room models you have to be careful with.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
fiddler, You make me almost want to come to the States - I thought you got arrested for going really off piste over there Wink

So it sounds like the piste takes in a little more terrain than I thought, not only groomed runs. As far as getting arrested goes, if you have the right equipment and use the gates supplied to access the back country you won't get arrested. However if go off and get REALLY pissed you might have some problems. Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Isn't bumps skiing way more about technique than kit? Glen Plake seems happy ripping lines on 223 DH boards and that's down to him knowing how skis work and how to ski bumps.

That said, anything that grips like a demon and turns on a sixpence should work well. Although I rather enjoy my Rossi GS skis. I think it's cos they're ony 167 long. Definitely better than my old 203 slalom chums.

On the original topic, it does sound as though we're all off piste the whole time. I would have thought that 90% of the skiing population were on piste 90% of the time? in which case "All Mountain" is kinda inappropriate...

Triumph of marketing over reality indeed.

Utah Wyoming experience limited, but again I would imagine that anyone seriously off piste would be free heeled.

Thought Alta gave you the offpiste experience in a totally controlled environment - fully patrolled, minimally groomed and generally awesome!
ski holidays
I think that there are bumps, and then there are bumps. Some are really good fun, and enjoyable to play on, others are just an exercise in masochism, you feel as if you have to ski them to improve your performance in the smaller bumps. All in all I think that it doesn't matter what ski I'm on, I will never enjoy skiing down steep, icy, narrow, bumps the size of volkswagen beetles.

As for easiskis comment on the colour of pocket rockets, last year, staying the same hotel as me was a lady who went to the boot fitting lab to buy boots, rejected the technicians choice "because they were the wrong colour" and insisted on buying a pair "to match my skisuit"! Unsurprisingly at the end of the week after many visits to try and sort them out, she decided to return them and get a refund under the shops comfort guarantee. Surprisingly the shop actually agreed to this and refunded her money in full!
snow report
Kramer, I'm staggered! I would NEVER have refunded in these circs. Shocked

The competition mogul skiers use short straight skis specially made for them. (Well I've never seen a pair for sale), but then they really just freefall down the bumps with their incredible reactions. Cool

I was asuming that we're all mortal here, and do feel the need to slow down a bit from time to time! It's true that slalom skis are quite stiff in the tail, but if you actually
turn ................... Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Easiski, it's one of the reasons that I always recommend Precision Ski in Val d'Isere to anyone who asks. I figure that if they're prepared to refund in those circumstances, then anyone else who goes is either going to get a good fitting pair of boots, or their money back. It probably doesn't cost the shop that much either, they get some good publicity for their comfort guarantee, and they just put the returned boots in with the rest of their hire boots and make their money back on them that way.
snow report
easiski wrote:

Easiski, you have articulated one of the misconceptions about North American skiing that is commonly held by people who have not skied over here much. As well as skiing safely throughout the entire "in-bounds" area, whether groomed or not, every skier/rider is perfectly free to leave the ski area via "backcountry access gates", and go absolutely anywhere they choose - at their own risk, of course. East Vail Chutes, Mushroom Bowl, Seibert's Stash, Shaft, Minturn Mile, Stone Creek, The Bald Spot, Grandpa Glades, Alta Chutes, The Ace of Spades - these are all names of popular backcountry runs accessible from Vail or Beaver Creek, none of which I had heard of before I moved here - because none of them are marked on trail maps. But plenty of locals ski/ride them. As far as I'm aware, most N. American resorts now allow similar access to the backcountry.

Comprex, Sheffield Ski Village used to have a mean Dendix mogul slope, which I actually used for shooting a ski instructional video in 1998. According to their website, they have now re-laid it with Snowflex.

easiski, you're right, all you need to ski the zipper line easily is something light, short and straight, so that the swing weight is low for the purely pivoted turns that are used. Something like this:
http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/activity/ski/equipment/skis/type/skis_for_freestyle/products/ESATO.htm
If you want a good bump ski that will also carve a turn, you'd be best off following Comprex's advice, and going with a "slalom carver" rather than an out-and-out slalom ski, which as Latchigo rightly says, would be tougher because of the extra stiffness.
I have skied bumps on DH boards from time to time, and I can tell you that it's not easy. I can only think Plake does it to give himself more of a challenge. Soft snow helps - I don't know if he would do it if he lived in Killington rather than Heavenly.
ski holidays
I was just scanning this section and Atomic 9.11 caught my eye, though totally for the wrong reasons. I keep hearing the numbers on the news. Shocked

Martin Bell,
While I love my 1080s, at 180cm they don't seem short by todays standards.
ski holidays
I thought the Fischer Lunar was specifically designed for moguls.
ski holidays
Lunar skis??
That reminds me of Wallace and Grommit's grand day out. Laughing
ski holidays
I hear blades are excellent in the bumps....

....I still won't try them though!
latest report
Nogs wrote:
I thought the Fischer Lunar was specifically designed for moguls.

Correct. Other mogul-specific models: Head Mad_Trix Mogul, K2 Cabrawler, Dynastar Twister.
Other companies make them only in limited amounts for their mogul comp skiers.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
I hear blades are excellent in the bumps....

....I still won't try them though!

But with blades, you usually don't use poles. How do you go down moguls with the right body position without poles? Aren't you meant to stab the mogul just off-centre bfore swirling round onto it? Smile Without poles, how does that work?? Puzzled Madeye-Smiley

Mind you, my brother-in-law reckons he's good at moguls on his snowboard. I thought you rarely see snowboarders on moguls (in the standing-up position!) for a good reason - it's snowboarding moguls is not that easy! snowHead

I think the pros wear thin skis for moguls since they turn more easily when you start moving after balancing on top of a mogul.
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
No, the whole point of twin-tips is as wtfh pointed out, to spray anyone tailgating you with snow snowHead

...which of course is 'great fun' when you're told by your ski instructor to ski in convoy....not! Very Happy Madeye-Smiley

The snow from the back of the twin tips conveniently sprays up to chin-level and falls straight down your neck. Shocked
ski holidays
Latchigo wrote:

Isn't all marketing aspirational? After all, would anyone be tempted to buy anything perceived as anything other?
latest report
Mark Hunter, top comment!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin Bell, I think you missed the wink ! Seriously though you can blame "Blizard of Aahs" for most of the misconceptions. However I did meet an American girl in LDA in the summer and she just didn't seem to be able to believe a) the vertical drop and b) the idea that you could ski wherever you could see (safety factors apart of course). Little Angel
snow report
Mark Hunter wrote:
Latchigo wrote:

Isn't all marketing aspirational? After all, would anyone be tempted to buy anything perceived as anything other?

Maybe I have used the wrong phrase.

By way of example, if I buy a potato peeler, say, I usually just want something to peel potatoes efficiently.

If I buy an expensive sports car, but I never drive anywhere, there may be other buttons being pressed by those who are paid to persuade us.

Status symbol, popularity with opposite sex, keeping up with the Clarksons etc. etc.
ski holidays
Martin Bell wrote:
[ Sheffield Ski Village used to have a mean Dendix mogul slope, which I actually used for shooting a ski instructional video in 1998.

Any chance of that one in NTSC?

(I was going to bring this up earlier, but it appears to be a good time: feel free to suggest other titles that might complement US teaching).
ski holidays
Martin Bell, - I agree with your summary of misconceptions that people have about North American skiing - anywhere "in-bounds" is OK to ski, as long as it isn't actually marked "closed" (that's when you might get into trouble!) And you are not limited to resort area skiing - if you want to hike you can ski in most of the National Parks.
However, if you say"off piste" around here, you do get teased (I would have put that another way, but I don't want to be censored! Little Angel )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy