Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glencoe's skiing must be saved

Poster: A snowHead
...and there are still many who don't. I think it's getting a bit late to prevent much change - assuming that the climate change is down to human intervention (and I'm not sure we can take the risk that it isn't).

On the air pollution side again, before the tunnel closed under Monte Bianco, you could often see the difference in air quality as you went up the cable car above Courmayeur. This was from lorries and was obviously particulate matter. What's the current thinking on pm10s? I know there used to be a thought that they were responsible for many deaths (not that this is anything to do with Glencoe).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pm10s=the smaller of the bigger polluting particles - those that are too small to get trapped by the nose, but are big enough to cause damage to the lungs...

As far as I know, these are thought to kill a significant number of people every year in rich countries (many many many more in poor countries where people burn low grade fuels indoors).

My point is not that these pollutants are trivial, but that we have decreased their concentrations and can continue to do so.

For Glencoe, the bigger problem - and the one we don't really know how to deal with - is global warming... Wld be a good topic for a SCGB campaign, though (global warming that is, not Scottish skiing).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MartinH, estimates put the decline in the population of Western Europeans at 14m over the next 50 years. Some nations (Italy and Spain for example), will pass the point at which they can sustain their ageing population a good deal before then. I have to say, that sort of drop in population will inevitably lead to a lowering in demand for consumer products - maybe not as quickly as is needed, but a natural decline nonetheless.

I do agree that research into cleaner fuels should be a priority, though. Along with the drive to encourage developing nations to address their environmental issues.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Article: "It's time to call time on our cheap flight hypocrisy"
Quote:
For we all know that climate change is real, and most of us assume that it is man-made and dangerous, and even that "something must be done". The same Scotland I was enjoying is losing its skiing industry to climate change. The Alpine glaciers are shrinking fast. There are reports of threatened fauna and landscapes, of melting icecaps and rising sea levels, of storms and droughts. We know something is wrong. But we shrug it off and live for the moment.

A disturbing article....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very.....

It's what you get with a "have it know, pay later" society. Everyone is guilty, and how many people can hand on heart say they're doing their bit? Apart from half-hearted attempts to re-cycle etc....

On another note, I learnt recently that the production of concrete and associated products does more to contribute to greenhouse gases than the avaition industry. Until we find better methods of transport, perhaps we should look at construction alternatives!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What a lazy, rotten, cynical - and very British - article! Here's a precis for those who can't be bothered to read it:

1. I take cheap flights and ooo doesn't it make me feel guilty in my tortured Guardian-columnist-soul.
2. It's all the government's fault - the bustards.
3. If they only postured a bit more [surely 'showed leadership'? ed], everything would be wonderful.
4. Can I have my cheque now?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That article stinks. The Guardian stinks also.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Global warming demands global government.

The snubbing and belittling of the United Nations is one of the great crimes of our time.

What do you mean "The Guardian stinks"? It's a newspaper published by an independent trust, as opposed to propaganda sheets published by international tax avoiders. Where do you find the truth?

The Guardian opposed a mad war last year. I wish I'd realised how right they were at the time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just an opinion David. Its irrelevant who publishes it. I read most of the broadsheets. I even buy the Gaurdian occasionally. During last years war I regularly bought several papers a day in search of a bit of equilibrium in the reporting.
The Gaurdian is the only one I find myself getting annoyed with.
Sorry for any offence caused to its readership.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
From the Guardian article
Quote:

The point is that real political leadership is always about persuading people to forgo things for the general good. Income tax limits individual freedom; so do speed limits, drug laws, police computer records and much of what governments do.

Yes, but all those "limits" are for all income groups equally! Guardian readers will still be able to afford their flights. And without the riff-raff (Sun readers?) spoiling things for them Confused
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maggi wrote:

And without the riff-raff (Sun readers?) spoiling things for them Confused

Hoo rah!

I'll get me coat

NBT (Times reader, till it went downhill about three years back)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its still got some of the best sports journalism around though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Incidently, I have no axe to grind with either Guardian or Sun readers - just making a point! (Indie reader).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Please let's not start on newspapers!

I'm still livid at the SCGB for their survey on newspaper readership, which only allowed you to select from the right-wing broadsheets and the worst of the blue-tops!

Also, one of my many annoying habits is to take an instant and irrational dislike to, and form unfounded prejudices against, anyone who reads a different paper from me. I'd therefore really rather not know what papers we all read!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith wrote:
What do you mean "The Guardian stinks"? It's a newspaper published by an independent trust, as opposed to propaganda sheets published by international tax avoiders. Where do you find the truth?.

It doesn't do to get too dewy-eyed about the Guardian, David.

As one of the reporters from its sister paper once told me (when explaining why he wouldn't be covering an environmental story affecting a couple of billion of the world's poor people): "If it doesn't make the government look bad, I'm afraid it's not a story."

Such touching devotion to the truth!
ski holidays
Your anecdotal evidence is hardly persuasive, DavidS! Let's face it, if the paper itself lacks credibility in your eyes, then consistency demands that anything you've been told by one of its scribes be viewed with equal suspicion on your part! Wink

Of course the Guardian is by no means perfect, but your earlier 4 point summary of the article hardly consisted of reasoned argument. Let's not get party political here. The article simply contained some thought-provoking comment, and I for one believe that the 'tomorrow never comes' approach to the environment is a matter of major concern, no matter how deeply we bury our collective heads in the sand.

PS With reference to the environment/Third World/poverty story that the Observer allegedly preferred not to cover, would I be correct in guessing that the Sunday Telegraph/Murdoch rags etc didn't exactly fall over themselves in the rush to profit from their rival's omission?!
snow report
Hmm.

I was only reacting to DG’s attempt to put the Guardian on a pedestal ("Where do you find the truth?). As a member of the NUJ, I know cynicism is common across the British press, whatever the ownership structure.

I thought my summary of the article was a pretty fair one really.

Either the journalist knows very little about the subject, or she’s deliberately chosen to ignore all the bits that don’t fit with her argument (for example, the huge political battle that led the UK to adopting a target to reduce CO2 emissions by 60 percent by 2050).

What did you make of last year's Energy White Paper PG?
latest report
Right back on subject

The whole reason I moved to Glasgow was under the promise that id be closer to the white stuff and come winter it would be a mere 1.5hr drive before I was up at Glencoe practisig my skiing. I thought id be olympic standard by now!!

Alas no! Every weekend im working (Glencoe is only open at weekends)

No problem - im willing to discard uni in the pursuit of snow - id drive up tp the Nevis range- but the snow has been rubbish 2 years running and I cant take any more

Thinking of doing my year abroad as close to the Alpes or Pyrenees as possible!

Wish they had found a way to save Glencoe- id use it if it was open!

incidently I read the Daily Mail, The Sun, News of The World and assorted gossip mags
snow report
DavidS,
Like the parson's egg....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy