Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bodypump fitness class

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone tried this? I've done 2 classes now, both on a Tuesday and I haven't recovered until Friday - not so much muscle ache but just a feeling of general tiredness. The class is a weight training class with barbells and weights. I've been using between 6 and 10kg.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All three of the personal trainers that I've had have been against it. There's not close enough supervision to ensure that you're doing the moves correctly.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004, technique needs to be monitored very carefully at the start, i.e. 1on1. If every exercise is not VERY carefully explained, demonstrated and corrected in class . . . then walk away, you can do some horrible damage if performed incorrectly Evil or Very Mad I know of one dislocated spinal disk that needed surgical intervention. If you want to build muscle, use weight in controlled and supervised tuition. If you want to burn more fat just work aerobically a little harder and for longer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have tried it, only as a friend took their instructors qualifications and needed people to boost the numbers. I didnt mind it but its not for me. I do usually frequent a gym though quite a bit and understand all about the techneques used. As far as Im concerned I dont think some of the exercises are correct and so wouldnt do them.

I think Masque, has hit the nail on the head, the same results can be obtained in a gym using weights and cv equipment. Iknow of three bodypump instructors who eventually gave up teaching due to problems with knees, as they were working four to five days a week and often more than one class per day Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
erica2004, I think it is an excellent class, provided the instructor is good at correcting technique and they are extremely variable. The gym I go to offers a Body Pump clinic, where people new to the class (one or two at a time) are shown the technique before joining in. I'm hoping to do the instructor training later this year.

The reason you are aching disproportionately is that the choreography includes a lot of eccentric contractions i.e. you are loading the muscle while it is lengthening. You get this with squats, for example, and also when you are slowly lowering the bar after a biceps curl. Eccentric contractions cause more delayed onset muscle soreness, and it isn't surprising you took 2-3 days to recover from a class.

It is very good for building up your endurance. I'm a qualified personal trainer, and I haven't seen any incorrect or contra-indicated exercises in the choreography in over five years (although there are some that are hard!), although I have seen people doing the exercises wrongly - most good instructors correct them straight away.

The same results could be obtained in the gym with weight training (not CV - body pump is not about CV training, it is about muscle endurance), but the question is, would you keep motivated and going for the last few repetitions? Almost nobody I know would do this without an instructor to motivate them - I certainly wouldn't. Therefore in most cases the same results cannot be obtained in the gym, because people training alone won't voluntarily work themselves as hard as when being motivated in a class. If training with a personal trainer, it would be different and the same results could be obtained.

I do one or two classes a week, plus other types of exercise, and I don't get sore, but if I have a break due to illness, then I get sore, just as you describe, when I go back to it. If you persevere, you will get less sore each time you do it. I think it is a fantastic class, and is popular for a reason.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I couldnt straighten my arms for 3 days, i was walking round like a monkey
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks - I took a clinic before the class & the instructor is good - there were only about 6 of us in the class. However, as some of you have said, there are gym instructors in this particular gym who won't teach it because some of the exercises. I skipped the ab roll out exercise and just did crunches. I do like classes though as they are very good at motivating you. I am reasonably fit but I wonder whether I'm getting a bit too old (45) to be pushing weights and as they only offer 1 class a week that I can attend, it is probably counter productive to do it.
docsquid, Thanks - I understand the aches now. After the class I felt like I'd burned up every bit of glycogen (?) in my muscles!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, I'll be 50 this year and am thinking of becoming a body pump instructor, and I also advocate weight training to older clients in 70's and 80's.

You probably did burn up a lot of glycogen. It is a good idea, if you can, to eat a meal containing a reasonably high quantity of both carbohydrate and protein (e.g. pasta with a meat or non-meat protein sauce) quite soon after the class - within a couple of hours. Or take a sports recovery drink like Science in Sport's ReGo. This will restore glycogen stores and help you repair the micro-damage that occurs to all muscles whenever you push them hard.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
docsquid, OK - I'll try again - thanks!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy