Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Repairing tears in ski wear?

Poster: A snowHead
I've got a small tear in my ski trousers.

Does anyone know where to get some kind of patch I can put behind the tear and say iron it?

I've asked at Snow and Rock but all they have is a dark navy Gore Tex patch and the trousers are a very light beige colour.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear a dark patch and be proud of a battle scar!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Duck tape, surely?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, only for real mountain men. OK - and me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was realy looking for something that I can iron on. Doesn't need to look perfect or anything, but transparent if possible. Duck tape will just keep coming off.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bikeandsnow,

Had the same probem with an orange goretex shell jacket and so put the patch on the inside.

Tenacious sealing and repair tape might do the job
http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/Accessories.asp
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, cheers, i have the same problem as Bikeandsnow, and will be ordering....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Duct tape every time. You just have to replace it on a fairly regular basis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For a tear in my ski jacket, I got a small iron-on motif thingy from a wool shop. You know the type of shop that have rolls of cloth, wool, buttons, knitting patterns and lace.

Unfortunately, the motif is a smiling alligator with a surf board. The alligator is in swimming trunks but his surf board and his scales are the same shade of green as the jacket. My kids think it's in-appropriate but it blends in better than the gore-tex navy blue square, and it's stopped the tear geting any worse. Blush
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ordered some repair tape as DB suggested and it turned up next day from pennine outdoor along with 3 firt class stamps and a note saying that their website overcharged me a bit for the shipping... top marks for service!!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, same here. Ordered yesterday from Pennine and it arrived this moring. Good service.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would this be usable for fixing a softshell pants?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Defo duct tape, has kept my circa 1980's pants together very nicely Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the good old days you would have gone to people like this :-

http://www.invisible-mending.co.uk/history.asp

All the old skills are dying out now. We are mostly wearing horrible, plastic clothes that just get thrown away.

Darning is another redundant skill.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've used tundra based in washington, tyne and wear, many times and found them to be excellent.

I know they do a post/return service but not sure of costs cause I can drop by easily.

Contact Tundra 01914193444

joe
snow report
I had a small tear in a pair of ski pants. I Superglued it back together. Been fine ever since.
snow conditions
I used to use Duct tape, but then I found some gortex patches that you iron on. Much better and never comes off. Snow and Rock sell them.
ski holidays
Thats useful Alex A, thanks. My sallies are beginning to look a little battle worn, but function as well as they did new so it seems a waste just to replace them.
snow conditions
Bikeandsnow, Black super duck tape is still on my gaitors and salopettes after 4 years. Make the patches round so there are no edges to catch.
ski holidays
I don't know if this is of interest, but a little drop of superglue at each corner will stop a rip getting bigger. You can do the whole lot in an emergency, but a drop or two will keep the thing reasonable until you find a needle and thread. Smile
snow report
personally i use the gore-tex patch, don't know about anyone else, but I care about maintaining waterproofness. the duct tape an even worse needle and thread people must be bluebird skiers only. the last thing you want is to be out in cold windy conditions with a hole in you jacket that lets it all in.
i do carry some super glue (normally) when touring, like mdemon2 said, it will help minimize damage.
ski holidays
Needle and thread, followed by an application of Freesole is strong and waterproof. My dry slope salopettes are mended this way and it is standing up very well.
latest report
I have a couple of small tears in my ski pants. Have no intention of repairing them as they are proud battle scars.

It is a bit annoying when the lining fills up with powder, but I live with it.
ski holidays
I was recommended to use seam sealer.
snow conditions
Needle and thread or duck tape. Not thought of superglue, interesting..... Anything else is too gay for words.
latest report
Found this thread on a search.
I needed to repair a tiny rip on my jacket so it didn't get bigger.

I bought some of that Tenacious tape - seems to have done the job very well.
Don't know how it will fair in the rain but it should at least stop the rip getting worse.

Will be carrying that with me on future trips.
snow conditions
Wundaweb makes a great repair with a patch of co-ordinating fabric. Wonderful stuff if you can't be bothered to sew up the hem your trousers as well!!
snow conditions
Bikeandsnow, thanks for starting this thread, and DB, thanks for the link. I didn't think there was anything I could do about the tears in my ski pants, but plan to order some Tenacious Tape depending on the answer to this question:- the site says that it has a matte finish, but is it clear or coloured?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vetski, its clear. Its not as matte as my jacket so you do notice a small shiny patch.
But I reckon it is pretty good.
latest report
Duct tape every time. This year I have bought some cheap trousers that are duct tape coloured so the patches will blend right in! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Jagerbull, thanks.

Axsman, (or should I replace the 'x' with an 's'? Toofy Grin ) very clever!
snow conditions
vetski, Yes sadly (for your sartorial elegance) I don't think they've brought out duct tape in Gold Lamé just yet Laughing
snow report
If you do a search online Gore Tex patches are available in a range of colours. I've bought black and navy, not sure on beige. Gold, almost certainly not wink
snow report
I can thoroughly recommend Lancashire Sports Repairs:

http://www.lsr.gb.com/

They have all the equipment to do, for example, proper repairs to Goretex. We've used them several times (under various names) - the last was for a huge patch across the bum of my aged, but beloved, Goretex one-piece - and they're, IMHO, reasonably priced.
latest report
Buy 2 goretex patches (same colour) and place the patches on the trousers so that the "left and right sides" match up? Puzzled
snow conditions
Sew it then apply a thin layer of seamsealer glue over it, but as others have posted, be proud of the battle scar and put a large patch over it using a colour that clashes nicely Smile
snow report
I've successfully used this product to repair a good quality tent http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Gelert_Seam_Sealer_Repair_Kit.html
It has the advantage of coming with a supply of synthetic material patches in various colours Very Happy
latest report
Duck tape make a Superduck in black. Lasts for 3-4 seasons.
snow conditions
V. impressed with Tenacious Tape - it arrived about half a hour ago, and I've just repaired a 1 inch and a 3 inch tear in my ski pants with a great deal more ease than sewing would have been.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy