Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Query

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a trip to S & R (see Apres Ski if interested) and asked their instore expert to recommend a reasonably stiff ski that would be OK for hard on-piste carving, but that could handle some off-piste as well.

He suggested trying the Head XRC 800, or, new this season the K2 Appache Crossfire (odd name when you think of it - I suppose it wouldn't have been named that by anyone from the Custer family!), which has been selling well evidently.

Has anyone any opinion/experience of either of these skis? Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The info I'm getting from friends in the US is that the Apache is a great ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks WTFH, or should that be Sir? The guy at S & R suggested the same, but as they're American, he wondered whether they'll be widely available in Europe. At first I took that to mean that it was an availability thing, but am beginning to wonder if it could be "political" Mad

I've not tried it, but do you know if it's possible to check on-line for availability of ski brands at hire shops?

Good to hear from you again BTW. You planning on another "challenge" this season?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mark,
There are several versions of the Apache namely "Recon", "Crossfire", "X" and "Chief" you and Fox may be talking about different versions of the same ski.

http://www.skimag.com/skimag/buyers_guide/app/skifinder/search/1,13185,,00.html?make=K2&myear=2005&x=35&y=7

Most skis are made by central European countries, K2 used to be made in the states but are now produced in China. I doubt it's anything political, just that people tend to have a fettish for locally produced equipment.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mark Hunter, we hired skis in CHampagny-en-Vanoise from either Twinner or SkiSet. I contacted the skishop via the website, the girl checked with the ski shop what skis they had available, and we reserved what we ewanted, or rather the kids did. It's not obviuos on the site though, just contact them and ask I presume. I think initially it was to see if they had the skis I wanted to buy, but I'd bought them by then anyway.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, thanks - the guy I spoke to showed me the Recon as well, but suggested that the Apache was the one that was getting the positive press.

Thanks also to you Helen, I'll get in touch with Twinner in La Ros and see where that gets me. Or maybe tap the Masque up to have a look inbetween his plumbing!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mark Hunter,

WTFH is right about the Apache range getting good reviews. I've been trawling all the test lately as I'm considering a freeride ski & the Apache's seem to do doing v.well in all categories.

The Apache Recon is coming out tops in all the latest ski tests in the 'freeride' ski category (in front of the XRC800), with K2 recommending it for 50-70% off piste use. I tried it at Castleford last week and it was a great large radius carver on the slope but a bit slow 'edge to edge' for quick short turns, but that's not suprising as it's 78mm underfoot.

For your described use you could also try the Volkl 724EXP freeride ski. I tried them also at Castleford & they were better overall on the slope (not far off my 5 Stars) than the Recons but they're a bit narrower so probably haven't got the same flotation off piste. I plan to test both in Verbier along with the Rossi B2's (the 'industry standard' freerider apparently) in only two weeks time Very Happy

From what I've read, the Crossfire is more of a 'mainly on-piste but also good for occasional off-piste' ski for which it's also getting v.good reports - but then that usage will put them up against the 5/6 Stars. If you're just doing a bit of off-piste but want a cracking carver then you've gotta try the 5/6 Stars. They're awesome on-piste, but then I'm biased snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The "Apache Crossfire" dimensions of 109-68-99 (tip,waist, tail) look a bit too skinny to give any serious off-piste performance.

The "Apache X" (109-68-99) looks to be a softer version of the Crossfire.

The "Apache Recon" (115-78-105) will probably give you the best allrounder but it will not be as quick edge to edge as the "Crossfire" or "X".

The "Apache Chief" (126-98-116) is the off piste model.

Other all-mountain skis to consider .......

1. Atomic Metron B5 (127/76/114)
2. Dynastar Legend 8000 (116 - 80 - 102)
3. Stockli Stormrider XL (116-75-102)
4. Volkl 724 Pro (115-77-104)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent info there guys - much appreciated.

spyderjon, as it happens, I was talking to my bro in law (he got me into this obsession!) earlier today and he mentioned the 5 Stars and how he was looking forward to getting hold of a pair. Might well have to join him in that case.

DB, I'm at a fairly early stage of off-piste skiing, so the Crossfire's seem to represent the best bet until I progress into something a bit more serious. Guess that means cramming some more trips in - oh well! I'll pass the recommendations onto the bro in law as he's right up there in terms of his skiing level - that and he's finally coming round to carvers in place of his old straight 2m race skis!

Again, thanks to all - handy place this snowHeads snowHead Cool Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Someone mentioned the Rossignol Bandit B2s in a previous thread. I've been skiing on these for the past 4 years (in older XX form as well), and I think that they're a great all round ski, however the ski tests that I've read this year would seem to incicate that they've been surpassed by the K2s. Not sure what I'll do personally this year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elan M666 116-76-102 (18m)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mark Hunter wrote:
He suggested trying the Head XRC 800, or, new this season the K2 Appache Crossfire (odd name when you think of it - I suppose it wouldn't have been named that by anyone from the Custer family!), which has been selling well evidently.

Has anyone any opinion/experience of either of these skis? Thanks.

November 'Ski and Board' magazine gives the Crossfire a glowing report. 'Great allrounder award' 'stood head and shoulders above the rest of the group' . Under weaknesses 'no faults were picked up'.

Head model is not in the test.

Mind you, Crossfire is in the 'Advanced' Freeride category, along with Rossignol B1 which also looked appealing.

There is another category 'Expert' Freeride, where Rossignol B2 gets the 'allrounder award'. By implication, if your skiing is up to it, the B2 is the better ski ?

It is all too confusing for me.

I will never buy a ski that I have not tried on slope first.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mark Hunter wrote:
Excellent info there guys - much appreciated.

DB, I'm at a fairly early stage of off-piste skiing, so the Crossfire's seem to represent the best bet until I progress into something a bit more serious. Guess that means cramming some more trips in - oh well! I'll pass the recommendations onto the bro in law as he's right up there in terms of his skiing level - that and he's finally coming round to carvers in place of his old straight 2m race skis!

Again, thanks to all - handy place this snowHeads snowHead Cool Very Happy

If you're new to off-piste skiing and want to get somewhere with it I would suggest getting wider skis. You won't make much progress with skis not meant to do that. Having gone to skis 85 underfoot that are great on and off-piste I wouldn't go less than 80. Don't be afraid to go wide. Elan 777 is another ski to consider. I demoed the 178 and 184. The 178 was extremely quick but felt too short. On the other hand the 184 was also very quick but more stable. I couldn't afford to buy it but I did like it a lot.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mark Hunter, Generally, and leaving models aside Head are cheap and good, but don't last very long. K2 are expensive but last for ever. Very good skis generally. It does depend on how much ski-ing you do per year though whether this is a worthwhile consideration. I ski about 30 weeks a year and my last Heads lasted 3 years and the K2s 6!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Crikey easiski, 30 weeks x 3 years = 90 weeks ('bout as far as my maths goes), I'll be long cold in the ground before getting anywhere near that Sad Wink

You make a good point fiddler. I am keen to start venturing off-piste more now, and reckon I'll try and fit in another week that will be more dedicated to it.
latest report
easiski, When you say the skis only lasted 3 seasons what went on them. The edges wearing, the bases wearing or becoming floppy and too flexible
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
Mark Hunter, Generally, and leaving models aside Head are cheap and good, but don't last very long. K2 are expensive but last for ever. Very good skis generally. It does depend on how much ski-ing you do per year though whether this is a worthwhile consideration. I ski about 30 weeks a year and my last Heads lasted 3 years and the K2s 6!

easiski,
Would you put it down to the manufacturer or the construction of the ski?
snow report
I owned K2 TRC skis. The Triaxial Braid construction swelled and the skis were a write off because the base became rounded. Now happily on Rossi Bandit's. Has anyone tried out the new Atomic Metron range?
snow report
What eventually caused me to throw both pairs away was complete loss of bounce! They got so flopitty that Peter Rabbit couldn't have skied on them. I should say, however, that I am quite "soft" on my skis - most of my male colleagues have to replace their skies every season.

I think it's in the manufacture. Both Heads and K2s have similar wood cores etc and feel quite similar to ski (similar models of course). I do really believe that K2s are just made to be stronger and last longer, but as I said, and asMark Hunter, did too for a recreational skier I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference. Therefore, all other things being equal the Heads would be the best buy! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy