Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB plagiarise yet again!

Poster: A snowHead
boredsurfin, a misunderstanding, I think - I haven't received a PM from Bode Swiller, but from someone else (who hasn't posted on the forum lately).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin, I have the same PM as Hurtle I think - and it isn't really that exciting. I wonder what PJski's PM says!

we are obviously out of the loop
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stoatsbrother, indeed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother wrote:
Dear Mr Murdoch.

I have an absolutely fascinating story of how I skied today with 7 other brits today in Resort X.

I didn't think the club had a rep in resort X wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother wrote:
Be nice to have some confirmation of that alleged staff of eight...

The SCGB website lists 11 staff who I'd imagine are involved in the Club's online operations in various ways, not necessarily in writing activities:

1.Head of Information & New Media
2.IT Manager
3.New Media Manager
4.New Media Executive
5.New Media Assistant
6.Ski TV Editor/Encoder
7.New Media Content Editor
8.Ski Writer
9.Information Manager
10.Information Executive
11.Snow Reporter

According to a statement on 30.11.2006 (SCGB AGM) a New Media Task Group led by SCGB director Gerry Aitken was tasked with "working to establish the Ski Club as the source for snowsports news". My understanding from Gerry Aitken is that this task group comprises 9 members.

Taking the phrase "the source for snowsports news" at face value, it's a goal that implies the Club being regarded by skiers and the media as both a primary source and - presumably - the most comprehensive source. To be recognised by Google News as a top-ranking source the Club would have to write exclusives much of the time, and be ahead of the field in delivering news sourced from agencies and other websites etc.

Anyway, all in all, it's a very sensible objective in my view, achievable within the SCGB's resources, and very much in line with the Club's historical publishing aims and traditions. Those of us who've been involved in online ski news since 2002 know that a huge amount can be achieved by one part-time person (el Hen currently proves this) keeping an eye on developments reported elsewhere. The key thing, using that particular strategy, is being first with the 'summary, paste and link' of any particular story, though sites such as pistehors.com and snowboard.co.uk have always distinguished themselves with good/excellent original technical news stories.

Anyway, the Club's set itself the mission, so let's see what transpires.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, not being a member I see little of the 'product' of the SCGB's new media department, Do the one or two small transgressions that get flagged up here represent a large proportion of the new media work or are they a really small part of an immense production?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've no idea. The specific issue was photo reproduction. I don't know how the photos in the SCGB's news section are sourced, and what reproduction permissions are needed/sought/granted.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, 2,9 and 10 may be internal information systems people. Are these whole time posts?

boredsurfin, Most of the stuff on the club website is free for anyone to look at except the members-only area and ski tv.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, "Take-A-Break" ..... I think their 'presence' is bad , but if you need to educate them do it over there ... we DO NOT CARE !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre wrote:
David Goldsmith, "Take-A-Break" ..... I think their 'presence' is bad , but if you need to educate them do it over there ... we DO NOT CARE !

Puzzled I thought the wombles threw him out of their forum.

(7 pages to go)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith wrote:
According to a statement on 30.11.2006 (SCGB AGM) a New Media Task Group led by SCGB director Gerry Aitken was tasked with "working to establish the Ski Club as the source for snowsports news". My understanding from Gerry Aitken is that this task group comprises 9 members.

Maybe Gerry's other hobbies are taking up too much of his time at the moment ......

Quote:
Gerry Aitken: Apart from skiing, Gerry's other hobbies include: astronomy, creative writing, playing the penny whistle, kittens, embroidery, skipping, pottery, basket weaving and designing shrubberies.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/reps/rep.asp?intContactID=96768´

Source: www.skiclub.co.uk
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB,
Quote:

Gerry's other hobbies
I noticed that, because he's repping where I'm next going. Rather weird, or perhaps it's meant to be funny. Think I might just ski with me mates and give the Ski Club a miss...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interweb newspapers copying free
the Wombles of Wimbledon Village are we
Making good use of the things that we copy
we don't even care if owner gets stroppy

Taking the p*ss with the things that we use
Ripping off even the most out of date piece of news.
Interweb newspapers copying free,
the Wombles of Wimbledon Village are we.

People dont notice us, they never see,
Us on the Common recording SkiTV
Nobody watches it but we don't really care
We got a big new media group with time to spare

ahem... I'll get me coat. Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, With all those time consuming hobbies is there time to ski?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother wrote:
David Goldsmith, 2,9 and 10 may be internal information systems people. Are these whole time posts?

9 and 10 - Information Manager and Information Executive - don't mean 'information technology'. It's the Club's traditional role of information provision. In the old days, this meant operating the information counter and office at 118 Eaton Square, where ski information was given to people over the phone and in person, sometimes by posting big folders with resort stuff. Today I should think the roles focus on online information writing and emailed information help, plus phone of course.

davidof, please don't vacate this thread for a coat. Stick around. Have you considered grasping that evident talent by the throat and launching a snow poetry site? (snopetry for short)

Hurtle, what sort of hobbies are your mates into?
snow report
This is an interesting example of a whole industry caving in, effectively, to theft. There are analogies to be drawn for this debate (she said, arguing against herself.) A bit like the old adage: if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it.
snow report
I think that's relevant. The parallel would be whether photographers feel under threat from online copying of their work. It amazes me how much photography is stored on the web in a relatively unprotected form (either by watermark, blocked hot-linking or other means).
ski holidays
Hurtle, apparently, that announcement was, at best, premature: see here.

Notwithstanding that, I think there is an alternative characterisation of this type of development. Recording and distributing music used to be expensive and now it is cheap. There is no reason why this development should not benefit society at large rather than the recording industry in particular. The latter may build legal and technical sandcastles, but they will be washed away by the incoming tide.
snow report
laundryman, 'legal...sandcastles...washed away by the incoming tide' is the point I was making, really.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy