Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski school in Soldeu

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Soldeu on Boxing day for a week. I had a terrible time last Christmas in Val Thorens with ESF, and learnt very little and cried quite a lot........ Can one of you lovely people advise me about Soldeu ski schools? Shall I book now or there, shall I risk group lessons again or go private from the start? Can anyone recommend someone lovely and encouraging for a nervous novice who is absolutely desperate to learn how to ski?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah42, Dont worry the ski school is fab all english speaking, my instructors have been Izzy who is a Scottish lass, she was fab, second was Elvis who sings in the pub Fat Alberts he is brill, learnt me to jump! Next I was in Yyan's group very experienced and was able to give lodes of great ski tips, taught me how to ski backwards Puzzled . You can book when you are there if you like or booking through your holiday company you will get the same range of instructors.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sarah42, I totally agree with Snowbird. I'd had a very bad experience with ski school in Scheffau. Joined ski school in Soldeu - well, el Tarter actually, but basically one and the same, last January. Explaned to them about my previous experience and they were soooo good. I was allowed back into the beginners class, and thoroughly enjoyed myself! So much so, we went back again for the second time in March. This time, Mr B & I took a couple of private lessons. The slopes are so very nice for helping with the confidence - you really can't go wrong!
Let's just say, after the Scheffau experience it was a 'touch and go' as to if this skiing lark was for me and Soldeu has given me such enthusiasm snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went to the ski school in Soldeu years and years ago, and it was brilliant, really good fun.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sarah42 - we were there last Jan and had a great time and have booked for first week of Feb next year snowHead
The ski school wasn't too bad (though it was our first so not sure if we can comment from vast experience) only thing i'd say is the group sizes and ability varries
English speakers or British instructors
I had some private lessons too and they are wel worth it and not very expencive and i think well worth it.
Try to get up on the gondolla early on monday so you can book the morning lessons as these get booked up fast
Where are you staying ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Try to get up on the gondolla early on monday so you can book the morning lessons as these get booked up fast
Beware of booking morning lessons if you like the Apres Ski, I learnt my lesson the first year and couldnt get to ski school on time because of my hangover Cool
I since joined afternoon lessons which give you lodes of time to pull yourself together, not that I'm an alcoholic or anything you see Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
good point snowbird
they are very generous with the drinks and measures
Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah42, yep, Snowbird, Michelle, and Kramer are right - there's a lot of good in the ski school at Soldeu/El Tarter. Two seasons ago, with a determined snowplough already in hand, I spent a week in a group lesson in Soldeu and was happily parallel turning by day 3.

Can't imagine an advance booking will make much difference pricewise - except that you'll avoid the dreaded queues!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sarah42
I think the booking it now is cheaper though not 100% sure.
I know it worked out cheaper to book ski school then try and hire all the bit's seperately.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want private lessons and you know what teacher you want, you can book ahead by emailing or telephoning the ski school. Otherwise go in group lessons and take your chances - almost all of them are excellent. Everyone has their own favourite - mine is Kiwi Jane. I echo what was said about getting up the Gondola early on Monday morning if you want morning lessons.

You'll have a great time.
Ad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok this is great. But how do I find out what teacher I want? Is there a list? Do they try to sell themselves a la candidates for a polictical vote???!!! If I book a learn to ski package, can I request a certain teacher? If they are rubbish, as ESF were in Val Thorens, can I get my money back?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ask for Kelvin (AKA Tractor) if he is still there -great teacher and great fun
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Adam Holt
Quote:

you can book ahead by emailing or telephoning the ski school

have you get details or email as I can't find one on the web (probably me being useless)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, i agree with what they said, i was in Soldeu in March this year, we did ski school and had a great laugh. They really are a great bunch. Our instructor was called Ben, he was quite young (i'm getting old) but an excellent skiier/instructor and was very patient.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

But how do I find out what teacher I want?

For group lessons you don't, as a rule. You take what you get given - the ski school decides which instructor teaches which level of ability. Having said that, and assuming there is more than one group at your level, then you can ask the ski school to match you with the most appropriate teacher.

For private lessons you can specify a particular instructor, assuming you know which one you want.

However teachers at Soldeu's EFS routinely receive good reviews so you needn't worry - I should think you could pick a teacher at random in Soldeu without fear that they'll be like the one you had in Val T.
ski holidays
Lucky you sarah42, - Soldeu is a great place to learn to ski.
I'd be surprised if there's a duff teacher at all in Soldeu but I'll throw another name in anyway - Craig Burridge. A mad Kiwi with terrible jokes but a superb teacher.
The private lessons are good value particularly if there's a couple of you cos the pricing runs something like 1 to 2 people and then 3 to 4.
You can ask for a specific teacher if you book private lessons. I had trouble getting in touch with them last year, I'll try and find an email address tonight but for now all I can find is their phone number (+ 376 890 591). The girl in charge speaks good English.
I don't know if you can get your money back if not satisfied, that's probably never been tested in Soldeu!
snow conditions
I've found an email of soldeu@soldeu.ad and a fax number of +376890589. These are from 2002-3 so may be out of date. More reliable may be an email form you'll find via their website http://www.grandvalira.com
latest report
Quote:

can I get my money back?

This topic has been done to death here
ski holidays
Glad its not just me trying to get hold of the ski school there. I have always booked in advance. Lots of great positive feedback about the ski school at Soldeu but no website, no email to the actual school! I have emailed the website above a couple of times with no response. Does anyone have an email address or fax number for the school to book in advance?

Thanks

ScottyDog
snow conditions
scottydog, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead but sorry I can't help you.
ski holidays
I really love everyone on this site, Thanks so much for the enouragement. I'm getting really nervous / excited. The resort is open and they have a sprinkling of snow!! I'm going to bite the bullet and book group lessons as everyone seems to reckon it'll be OK. Val Thorens last year was SOOO bad, and I was so terrible, and so terribly upset! I'm going to DO IT this year, and if it wasn't for snowheads, I probably wouldn't be! I logged on last January with my tale of woe and was overcome by the response. xxx
latest report
scottydog, welcome to snowheads, I have searched the internet but cannot find a website. You dont need to book in advance you can book when you arrive there are lodes of instructors so you wont miss out, you can book at the top of the gondola direct with the company as you get off the gondola turn right where you will find the booking hut. Have fun wink
snow conditions
scottydog, found it but havnt a clue hoow to paste the website address here, if you go into Google and type Grand valira , once in go into "Whats to do" it gives prices of ski group school and private tuition, it has an option at the bottom of the page to contact them. wink
ski holidays
Thanks for the help! Nice lady at the ski school called Angela is sorting me out. Advised to book ahead for private lessons so have done so. Flying out from Gatwick on 26th too sarah42 so am looking forward to it as much as you are Very Happy

ScottyDog
ski holidays
Snowbird, for future reference, just copy and paste the full URL from your browser tool bar and the site automatically converts it to a link. There are better ways but let's keep it simple.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy