Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing North America in mid-April - how feasible?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Wonder if I could prevail upon the great and good on the forum to advise me as to a venue for skiing in mid-April. Have been saving up the pennies so budget is pretty flexible. The real issue is destination. Any idea where the best snow will be in the US or Canada in the middle of April?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMO . Mid April is to late for the US

Resorts in Colorado close April 6th -13th (Aspen,Telluride,Vail)

Californian (Tahoe) resorts close around April 23 but it slush skiing from midday.

Whistler closes April 20th then its only Blackcomb & the Glacier.

I would not waste your pennies on such a late ski trip to the North America.
North American skiing has to be experienced in the early, mid season .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Disagree strongly.

Colorado: A-basin stays open till June. Much of Summit county resorts will close mid-April with plenty of good snow and dirt cheap lodging and lift prices, due only to insufficient skier traffic. Wink (Though Vail is low in elevation and can get slushy)

Utah: Snowbird opened till mid-May last season. Most years at least into end of April. Good snow, no skiers. They have to close due to lack of ticket income.

Banff: Also into June last season. Usually at least end of April. Again, close due to insufficient skier traffic.

California: Mammoth usually stay open through May and sometimes into June.

I skied in mid-April for years in the Rockies. Snow is good, price is super low. Queue, what queue? Smile No need to wait for tables at eating places.

Coastal resort such as Tahoe and Whistler maybe more hit-or-miss depending on the weather and your luck. It could be fantastic big dumps of snow, or big dumps of rain.

On the other hand, you could probably have the same snow and low price in some of the high resorts in the Alps also. So, take your pick.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:
Disagree strongly.

Colorado: A-basin stays open till June. Much of Summit county resorts will close mid-April with plenty of good snow and dirt cheap lodging and lift prices, due only to insufficient skier traffic. Wink (Though Vail is low in elevation and can get slushy)

Utah: Snowbird opened till mid-May last season. Most years at least into end of April. Good snow, no skiers. They have to close due to lack of ticket income.

Banff: Also into June last season. Usually at least end of April. Again, close due to insufficient skier traffic.

California: Mammoth usually stay open through May and sometimes into June.

I skied in mid-April for years in the Rockies. Snow is good, price is super low. Queue, what queue? Smile No need to wait for tables at eating places.

Coastal resort such as Tahoe and Whistler maybe more hit-or-miss depending on the weather and your luck. It could be fantastic big dumps of snow, or big dumps of rain.

On the other hand, you could probably have the same snow and low price in some of the high resorts in the Alps also. So, take your pick.

Some places will allways try to stay open. However, travelling all the way from Europe to ski a relatively small ski area (including the new Montezuma Bowl) like Ski A-basin would IMO not worth the money when you could ski a massive euro area for less.

Mammoth has limited opeartions in May June at least it did last ime I was there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Mammoth has limited opeartions in May June at least it did last ime I was there.

Well, he's not asking about May and June. He's not even asking about end of April. He's asking mid-April. Depending on exactly which week he picked, the majority of the mountains could still be open! They'll be open typically with lots of terrain and good snow. I've skied in April enough to know resorts have more snow than they have skiers on closing day.

Mid-April I would take is second and third week. Second week of April will see ALL of the resorts fully open. Third week of April is a bit tricky that some resort start closing due to, as I said, lack of skiers. So, if you can do second week of April, you don't have to worry. If you're doing the 3rd full week, then you have to check who's open and who's not.

Again, resorts don't "try to stay open". They try not to loss money when no one comes even when there's lots of snow. So, you're basically deciding their closing dates with your wallet. Wait, does chicken come first or egg first? Smile

This year, because there's pretty good early season snow, resorts are unlikely to extend their closing like last year. The sad fact is, most skiers run out of money and vacation skiing from December to March on a "normal" season! So there's going to be a lack of crowd in April... And regular closing dates, sometime around mid-April.

Quote:

However, travelling all the way from Europe to ski a relatively small ski area (including the new Montezuma Bowl) like Ski A-basin would IMO not worth the money when you could ski a massive euro area for less.

I'm not in a position to compare since I've never ski Europe in mid-April and don't know how much of those "massive" areas are still skiable that time of year.Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm off to Banff on 5th April so fingers crossed eh Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some ski areas close early - April time as they are National parks and so are resticted to visitors - I believe Norquay is one BrightonSki, It will probably close soon after you arrive so if you want to ski it do it early Shocked

Bears start appearing April time Very Happy Very Happy

I know the A basin used to have a beach party on the 4th July with skiing too, and the other year Heavenly was open into July too Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks ever so much for the info, abc and stanton ... we are going on the 12th to the 19th April ... does that change your views??? If you had to choose two places in the US/Canada for this week, may I ask which they would be and why? Alternatively, can you suggest somewhere in Europe that is still ski-able this late in the season??? Thanks for your input!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jboyd39221,

Can't speak about the USA, but you would be 100% snowsure for Banff (Sunshine Village) that week.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks Johnboy! Quite fancy Banff actually - did Whistler with a mate of mine last year and really enjoyed that ... do you rate Banff in comparison?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jboyd39221 wrote:
Thanks ever so much for the info, abc and stanton ... we are going on the 12th to the 19th April ... does that change your views??? If you had to choose two places in the US/Canada for this week, may I ask which they would be and why? Alternatively, can you suggest somewhere in Europe that is still ski-able this late in the season??? Thanks for your input!

Yes, it does change things. Many resorts are "scheduled" to close on the 14th of April. They may not but you can't plan your trip based on such "maybe".

Of the ones that will definitely be open, my top pick would be Mommoth in California. Second would be Snowbird in Utah.

I've not skied in California that time of year. So I have no personal experience to the openning terrain that time of year. But judging from the amount of snow on the road that time of year, I'd think snow and terrain won't be a problem. Snowbird I'm pretty sure will be fully open but it's actually not as large a place as Mommoth. Besides, I like the scenery of the Sierra. On the other hand, Mommoth is much longer ground transfer while Snowbird is right outside of Salt Lake City.

I'm sure others will offer more info on Europe. But I noticed EoSB is on the following week at Val Thoren. So I would gather the snow is pretty good there.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks again abc - really appreciate it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skied Mammoth in mid April a couple of years back.....it was bloomin marvellous. Cant recommend it enough. But a long way to go for a week, try to squeeze a fortnight out of it, and maybe spend a couple of days doing other things - tie it in with a trip to LA, San Francisco or even Vegas...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As in the Alps, you can get winter storms in the Rockies or Sierras anytime well into June.
This photo was taken on May 6th at Snowbird:
http://www.biglines.com/photosv2/2008/01/120x120/biglines_81403.jpg
and this was taken at Big Sky on June 7th:
http://www.biglines.com/photosv2/2008/01/120x120/biglines_81402.jpg
I would advise Sunshine, Mammoth, Squaw or Mt. Bachelor.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy