Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Old guy needs new underwear

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, it's been quite a few years since I've been skiing and our family is going to Heavenly at the end of December. I need thermal underwear or base layer recommendations. I've looked at silk, polyester, polypropylene and others but I can't decide. I know to NOT buy cotton. I don't want to spend $40 or more for each piece (top and bottom) but I don't want us to freeze our tails off either. I have 2 young kids that will probably be stuck with polyester since there's not much out there in their size. Can someone with experience please give me an opinion?

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Marmot, UnderArmour, DuoFold (in that order). I like the newer Marmots with embedded silver, since they tend to last longer before the odor catches up with me...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All the good base layers are made from polyester, for example that Climalite clothing which is said to draw moisture away from the skin. So don't knock it - polyester has come a long way in recent years! Cool snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got some base layers from mountain warehouse fro £10.00 an item the quality seems good and I tried the wicking properties whilst exercising and they work fine. Definitely worth the money.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use (pops into the bedroom to read the label) Vaude Polartec.
Had them for 3 years.
Fantastic stuff.
Although it's bottom layer / underwear it looks fine as a top too.
In Tignes (in the sun in April) I skiied with my shell jacket half open and just that one layer.
In Val d'Isere this year it was down at -18 so I put on a decent technical sweater too (oh, and I zipped my jacket up Wink ).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Used to be a polyester/Polypropylene man and have all sorts of different base layers by different maufacturers. Just last season a guide reccommended Merino wool - it's expensive but it doesn't stink and has great thermal properties (12,456,4132,487,681,231 sheep can't be wrong Laughing ). You can get away with wearing it for a few days. Merino wool doesn't itch like normal wool either as the material fibres are much finer. A lot of top outdoor baselayers (biking, skiing, mountaineering) are being made out of Merino wool these days.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/1909/v/2/sp/332967698162328212332
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if you can find an outlet, is very good http://www.craft.se
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, yep. The original is from NZ - it's called Icebreaker

Don't be put off by the idea that it's "wool" - it's wool that's been through a weird and wonderful process.

Other than retaining heat like the proverbial sheep, and feeling soft and lovely, it now acts like manmade fabric in that it wicks moisture away, and breathes. And it doesn't pong!

Dunno where you'd source one in N America, sorry. Beware imitations tho.

Alternatively there's nothing wrong with traditional Helly Hansen route. Cheap, cheerful, polyester - my skiing wardrobe includes 3 Helly tops.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was going to say M & S until I realised where you were posting from jeffro! Oh, and welcome to snowHeads snowHead (7 posts on the thread and not a welcome - tut, tut Very Happy )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda,

Yes I have some Icebreaker base layers. Ideal for skiing as they seem to act as a very good buffer for moisture and heat.

Also have a couple of Helly Hansen merino wool tops (called "Prowool"), they are not 100% merino wool but are cheaper.

http://www.altitude-sports.com/Products.htm?ID=7431

http://www.amronintl.com/hyperbaric/products.cfm?id=1837

Another link (shortened by a moderator so it fits the page Wink.)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, Grrrrrrr. Grrrr, I say!!! Most good kiwi inventions get nicked (pavlova, flip flops, Crowded House, Russel Crowe, bungy jumping, votes for women, guerilla warfare, etc, ad nausem).

Sigh.

Good to see kiwi ingeniuty is keeping folk warm on the slopes.

There's also an apres wear fabric that's still exclusive to NZ - called MerinoMink. Sounds weird, feels wonderful. Try http://www.merinodiscovery.co.nz/md_brands.html# and click through to the Merinomink page.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use Helly Hansen Lifa, it's great, and does not smell.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like Lifa as well. Mine does get a little bit whiffy by the end of a weeks skiing though. Does that make the ladies want me more?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
More what?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
More clean rolling eyes
snow report
You lot ski in the same gear every day and still don't smell??
You mustn't be putting much effort in. Wink Laughing
ski holidays
I'ill have you know that I change my underpants once a week whether they need it or not Wink
latest report
Echo the positive comments about Icebreaker - I've a couple of tops and they're really very good, but I wouldn't run the gauntlet of recrimination from wife and family by extending the wearing by more than 2 days max!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy