Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exploring Ski Amade from Haus

Poster: A snowHead
Staying in Haus in late Feb but want to get out to the other Ski Amade resorts on a couple of days.

Where is best to go to to give access to most slopes for a day?
Where is just best to go to?
How long do the journeys take by car?

Wagrain looks like a good base for the day, but what about the other valleys and areas.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From Haus, I would definitely spend a day on the Flachau/Wagrain area. And the next area along links Wagrain with Alpendorf and also provides a load more terrain. I probably wouldn't recommend trying to do both Flachau/Wagrain and Wagrain/Alpendorf in one day though, I don't think you'd really get to experience much of the skiing.

However, I would venture to say that both areas are quite similar in feel. We really like the day we spent at Zauchensee. It's a bit higher up, at the end of the valley, and links with Flachauwinkel, and although not as big in extent as the others, is worth a look, and there's lots of accessible off-piste there which we enjoyed.

So as well as obviously the Schladming areas, those are my recommendations. We drove from Schladming to Flachau, and to Zauchensee, and I don't think we were driving more than about half an hour/40 minutes each time, quite possibly less??

I guess if I were to pick 2 days out from the Amade, if you're based in Haus, I would do Flachau/Wagrain, and Zauchensee.

D
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Forgot to add, we also have spent lots of time at Gastein, and skied Grossarl, but I focussed on the others as they are slightly nearer, and figured it wouldn't be much help to you if I replied saying 'all of them!'. Gastein is also lovely though, and I've heard Hochking is too, which is why I'm going there on Friday!

D
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hobbiteater, yep, I second Deliaskis, Zauchensee which you can ski to Flachau Winkel - drive time 30/40 mins, and Wagrain which goes on and on - again 30/40 mins drive. Have fun. Very Happy ps (by the hubby...)

Haus links into Schladming and to Reiteralm - if you really have your muscles warm!... long trek - ask Waynos as he has done it most recently....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flangesax, thanks

btw - shame you din't have availability
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hobbiteater, havent we - my brain is fried at the mo - next time then! Have fun. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obertauern also only 30-40mins drive away. Above tree line skiing, so pick a good vis day. Not covered on ski amade pass, is on salzburg super ski pass. Also east of Haus and only 10 mins is Galsterberg, small, quiet, but some obvious off piste from top lift, above the trees. Haus itself is my fav of the local schladming mountains. Snow conditions currently excellent, despite some warmish temps. And there is always the Dachstein glacier, 30mins drive via Ramsau (very pretty, good for walking and cross country). Views from Dachstein excellent, skiing limited, unless you take a guide and then some major ski touring routes.

Could try the Schladminger brewery tour, every thursday I think, haven't tried it myself yet but do recommend schladminger beer Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flangesax, going out 23rd feb...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hobbiteater. I have spent 2 seasons based in Altenmarkt /Zauchensee. Where you visit depends partly on your groups skiing ability. The whole skiing area has excellent lifts-would shame many 'well known' resorts. The terrain generally leads to long vertical drops with continuous gradients-{maybe why the Herminator is from Flachau and Michael Walchofer Zauchensee}. Flachau/Wagrain better for intermediates though excellent high speed runs for those long GS turns. Zauchensee has a real mixture-some excellent cruisey runs, steeper blacks then any marked pistes in the Espace Killy and a couple of exciting ski routes( particularly the run towards flachauwinkel). Totally agree with Deliaskis re off piste potential in Zauc, some brilliant tree skiing and a few 'high mountain descents -mainly accessed off the Gamskogel gondola. Snow reliability is as per Obertauern. Have a great ski-I'm off to La Rosiere with the children on Sunday. Happy to give more specific info re routes etc..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
retsil, Welcome to snowHead

Thanks for yours and the others posts.

Me and Mrs Hobbiteater and reasonable intermediates in that no (bold statement - amend to few) pisted runs bother us. What we like to do is explore and get a sense of travel, we're fast cruisey red recreational holiday skiers - we like the odd technical challenge (steep) but that's not why we love skiing. Bumps aren't my thing. Not looking for off-piste (yet).

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 14-01-08 21:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
retsil, Another welcome to snowHead

Any more info on off-piste routes in Zauc or other near by areas much appreciated.
Based in Schladming for a while and always looking for the routes when the powder comes.

If you're in La Rossiere then if the snow is any good head to Ste Foy, some excellent off piste.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In that case a day starting in flachau and travelling over to alpendorf and back ( a short ski bus ride between the bottom of the flying mozart lift at flachau and wagrain -no problems) second day ski the zauchensee, flachauwinkel kleinarl 'three valleys' quickest entry would be to park at flauchauwinkel in the middle {again there is a short tractor train across the road} . Both days could include the best intermediate reds available! snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Waynos,Best zauchensee off piste is the gamskogel area. Go up the telecabine (gamskogelbahn) There are some good runs visible from the lift both left and right. Also if you ski left at the top then there is some great off piste turning right after the bend just parallel and above the ski route(which can also be fun) There is a great gunbarrel here but keep to the ridges if avalanche risk high. If snowing heavily (and the top lifts are shut) use gamsogel 1 chair turn left at the top onto an obvious track (slight pole up hill) and then can ski through the trees left. Don't ski under the lower half of the gamskogel telecabine (cliff).There are lots of other off piste areas within the lift served areas which are reasonably safe.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
retsil,

sounds like a plan! Very Happy

Next question - unmissable lunch opertunities?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
retsil, Why go to Ste Foy, loads of off piste in La Rosiere Very Happy
ski holidays
hobbiteater, Im empty from the 26th!
snow report
retsil, thanks for the off piste tips, I'll probably head up zauc after next snowfall.
ski holidays
flangesax, Hopefully it will be cold at night wink so accomadation from the 23rd was needed. As you say maybe next time.
latest report
hobbiteater, have a good holiday and make sure you report back Very Happy
ski holidays
hobbiteater,re lunch opportunities- Virtually all the alpine huts are typically Austrian in atmosphere and food. All serve good quality food and reasonably priced though fairly repetetive menus. The larger hotels at the base are a bit 'cafeteria like' though there are exceptions.
A further note if staying in Altenmarkt and have half a day:-ski the local Altenmarkt/ radstadt slopes-the 'Hobibahn' it has some great slopes (fast reds!!) fast lifts and an interesting return option available through farmers fields/ across roads etc Also tends to be quiet except weekends-local snowboarders ++
latest report
Report here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=878578#878578
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy