Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

90cm skis, and parallels from lesson one

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Teaching beginners on ultra-short skis is nothing new - it was catching on more than 35 years ago in places like (the then new) Les Arcs, with its Ski Evolutif method, and resorts in the States that used the similar Graduated Length Method.

The idea is to ditch ski poles, put novices on skis of about 90cm or 1m (or maybe even blades), and teach parallel turns from day one. Awkward unfamiliar positions like the snowplough are avoided. Simple familiar ideas are emphasised.

Here's a report on a ski school at Whiteface Mountain near Lake Placid, which is using a programme called 'Parallel From the Start', reported by the Sacramento Bee.
Quote:
"We can teach a monkey," said Ed Kreil, the ski school director. "It really is that easy. I have seen people who can barely walk or see become avid skiers. People over 70 learn how to ski."

... and a taste of the first lesson:
Quote:
The class makes its way up a small hill and sits on four wooden benches. Sperling asks them to imagine holding a couple of glasses of wine, all the while flumping in their boots.

"I'm just going to let gravity and the snow take me," he says as he slides down a slight incline and makes a parallel turn.

Ryan follows, smiling widely as she slides into a turn holding those imaginary glasses.

Did you learn this skiing this way? Or do you wish you'd learned skiing this way?
Have you taught people to ski with ultra-short skis? Would you teach skiing this way?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 17-11-04 23:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, I used Snowblades on plastic a couple of times. Very good for younger types..but a lot of falls, so now use skis all the time.

They were very easy for people to move around on, but (obviously) not to great for folks without a highly developed sense of balance. This, of course, made much worse by the surface.

I do spend a lot of time getting people to ski on short skis however, at the lower speeds (Alan Craggs, Martin Bell exluded of course !) reached on plastic you just don't need 210s anymore......
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski, please please, I do not deserve to be in the same brackets as Martin Bell Embarassed Exclamation

Some folk are simply unable to hold a plough shape and we have used direct parallel methods with them but I haven't personal experience of doing it I'm afraid. However some beginners (usually kids) will just go and do basic parallel turns, seemingly without thought processes interfering. (ie they are not afflicted by the dreaded parallelitis as Ali would say).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 17-11-04 20:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Julian and I learnt to ski in Flaine by this method about 9 years ago. Our friends were amazed that by the end of the week, we both skiied the Serpentine from top to bottom. They were more worried than we were.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My mother only ever skied for 1 week about 12/15 years ago. It was in Les Arc and with the Evolutif method for her instruction. She was cracking along with the (much younger) group in her lesson midway through the holiday, having progressed in ski length. I think they even tackled a red or two!

Keep trying to persuade her to give it another go, but I think the fear factor has taken hold, unfortunately.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I learnt in Les Arcs a good few years ago, using Ski Evolutif. Progress was certainly rapid; we went down a black on the last day of the week. Started on 100cm, then 130, then 160. The snowplough was taught to us on the fourth day on the basis that 'we might find it useful in a lift queue'.

Having said that, my progress since has been less than I would have hoped. I did a second week with the same school the next year and didn't feel I progressed very much. Since then, I haven't been to ski school as much as I probably should have - something I intend to put right during the forthcoming season!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
"We can teach a monkey," said Ed Kreil, the ski school director. "

They do boarding lessons then Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy