Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brides les Bains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've booked us a cheap and cheerful studio in Brides as a cheap base for the 3V next January.

Anyone stayed there? Recommendations for day trips away (we'll have a car), restaurants etc. gratefully received.

Will it be quicker to drive up to a 3V resort than use the link lift from Brides? According to the books that takes 25mins which seems like a very long time to be stuck in a bubble with someone with vertigo!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went last year on probbly the busiest week of the season and the queue for the bubble back at the end of the day was huge. Sad The 25 minute ride would be bad enough on its own, but add a 20 minute queue time to that and it does rather spoil the day. Going up in the morning was similar but could be avoided by getting the first ones up, (which is what we did), or, I presume by going up later. This may not apply in January of course when everywhere is quieter.

It is a very small place and the choice of restaurants wasn't great.

Saying that, the skiing was fantastic, so you'll enjoy it I'm sure.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
homphomp, Little more than a 20 minute drive to Bourg St Maurice from Brides.... Moutiers is nearer, but it's rather unimpressive.
One restaurant highly recommended in Bourg is Le Refuge

Has to be booked in advance though - whether lunchtime or evening, weekday or weekend ... even off season.

If you do get down this way, let me know!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've stayed in Brides, Ray is right there's not a lot going for it. However, I was fortunate during my visit there, that there was enough snow to allow me to ski all the way back following a ski route (of sorts).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
homphomp, Yes - much quicker to drive up to Méribel, 10 mins or so door to door to the underground car park there. If you go early enough there are free spaces in front of the sports centre, just before the roundabout by the front de neige.

If you suffer from aching limbs during your stay, one thing Brides does have going for it is an excellent masseuse....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Perhaps I should have asked before I booked!! Still we don't mind being based in quiet valley towns as long as the skiing is good!

PG, I'll be in Bourg for Xmas, based at Le Petite Auberge....seems there'll be a fair few snowHeads around then so we should be able to all meet up for a drink or two?? How early do we have to get to Meribel to get the free parking?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
homphomp, we usually drove up about 8.30, had a coffee in the Cactus by the roundabout until the lifts get under way. Otherwise, if there's no space, the underground carpark is convenient and reasonably cheap.

I'm sure we'll be able meet up sometime in Bourg. Your hotel is a fair way from the centre, as you enter the town. Do you know BSM at all?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Drive to Meribel Village (off to the left towards La Tania, between Les Allues and Meribel itself). Has a chairlift that links straight in to the Altiport area, so you bypass bubble queues at Chaudanne (centre of Meribel). Parking is right by the chairlift (& free, unlike Meribel itself). Car park is also adjacent to cafe, bakery, and small supermarket - all much more convenient than centre of Meribel. Will be much quicker than taking the Olympic Express lift from Brides - latter also has a long walk at the top, because it doesn't link in properly with the bubbles at Chaudanne.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Julian T, On the other hand, you have to take a succession of chairlifts from the 'Village' to get up to the Loze if you intend heading Courchevel way, whereas from Meribel itself you just take the Burgin 1 & 2 gondolas straight up to Saulire. And you can't access the Menuires/Val T side at all - whereas from Meribel you have the Tougnete eggs.

As you're going in Jan homphomp, it should be reasonably quiet anyway, you've certainly picked the right time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, Have passed through BSM in summer but don't really know it at all...we're half board so being a bit out of town shouldn't be much of a problem and we've a car to drive to whichever lift takes our fancy each morning.

Any recommendations for cosy apres ski bars within walking distance of the hotel? No noisy music please....I can't stand not being able to have a nice chat because of loud music (Mr HH thinks I'm going deaf and he might be right!)

8.30 for the lifts shouldn't be a problem....we're always up for the first lift most mornings.

Julian T, Thanks for the tip....we may give this a try too if we're planning on staying on the local slopes, but an extra little drive and parking charge seems worth it if it gets us into the whole 3V area quicker.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
homphomp, It's actually at the opposite end of BSM to us - I'll drive past and take a look sometime (excuse to try out a few bars Wink )
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are driving from Brides to Meribel, why not go that little bit further and go up to Mottaret.

There is a decent amout of parking just off the entry roundabout and the access to Saulire or over the top top Val T is excellent. And the snow is better!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
homphomp, I disagree withKen Lingwood, but then I wasn't on holiday. I have a friend who lives in Brides les Bains every winter. I thought it was a super little place. Of course there's not much night life, but I found friendly bars, OK restos and it's less that half the price than Meribel without the unbearable "horray henrys". Definitely drive up though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
homphomp, we did a budget coach trip to the 3V last april and stayed in Brides, it's a quiet place by night but has some wonderful pizza places and little bars all for half the price of Meribel. The gondala was not a problem at that time of year, no queues of any description through the four days, it takes 25mins and after the 1st ride does get a little tiresome and there is no link to the other lifts.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
up4it wrote:
....wonderful pizza places....

Just what a veggie needs in France!

easiski, You've put my mind at rest, noisy nightlife I don't need...just a decent meal and a cosy bar.

Sounds like it's going to suit us well....as long as we drive up to Meribel!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy