Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another ski recommendation question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've gone for a season rental the last two seasons, but this time around I'm very strongly considering buying skis that will last me at least a few years, and hopefully longer. But being my first ski purchase, I'm a-floundering! Advice is very much welcome.

Me: 5'9" and about 83 kg, intermediate level skier (broadly fine on black runs, but terrible off piste, and certainly struggle to maintain consistent form.) I'm looking for a ski that I can drive well and have fun with on-piste, that will also be somewhat forgiving as I try and learn how to negotiate off-piste powder.

In 2014–15, the season rental was a Scott Reverse (2012). It was definitely forgiving in side-piste conditions and coped very well with crud, but — for me at least — had a disturbing amount of shudder and vibration on piste at moderate speed. For 2015–16, it was a Salomon 24 hours (2013). This was a monster on-piste, and I loved it. But off piste it was brutal: it made my lack of skill quickly and most concretely apparent. Back in March 2013, I skied a couple of weeks with on an Atomic ski that seemed to be the best of both worlds: I never felt unsteady even at speed on piste, and they were very forgiving off-piste in both crud and powder. Sadly, I can't recall which model it was.

Two weeks ago I trialled the Atomic Vantage 90 CTI (2016 or 2017? I admit I didn't check) at St. Anton for one day. Piste conditions were between hard-packed and icy, and I did find it hard to get a good edge on piste — I suspect mainly due to my lack of experience with this width. I had to work ankle tilt a lot more than I was used to getting away with. That said, allowing a bit more slippage in the conditions than I would have liked, they performed really well once I started to understand how to ski them.

Next week is a week of skiing — 90% on piste — and I'll be in a position to test various skis. I'd really appreciate some pointers to skis to trial, given my mediocre ability and desire to learn how to handle powder conditions with a minimum of tears along the way.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dynastar Cham 87 is a good all rounder
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmm maybe try the volkl kendo. skied them a few years ago and liked them. blister have done write up, i'll post a like to it at the bottom (they are based state side however, so everything -100 underfoot seems narrow to them) the blizzard brahma is also a good comparison (they also mention them in the review) both skis you'll be able to drive and rail on piste then the off piste performs just depends on how wide you want to go. i think around the 90mm underfoot mark is a solid starting point for your search. as mentioned above the cham 87 is a good bet as well.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2015-2016-volkl-kendo/2
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can find a pair(2014 iirc), Fischer Watea 88's are a great all mountain ski. Cope with the crud very well, great high speed stability, and float well in the pow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about getting a piste ski and then hire a powder ski when you think you may use it?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skis that you might consider, if available:

- Scott The Ski
- Blizzard Brahma (2017 model, as more forgiving)
- Nordica NRGY 90 or Enforcer 93
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fischer Pro MTN 80
Volkl RTM 75/78 are both good all mountain skis
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy