Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are the Dolomites deviod of snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've always fancied going there, the scenery is supossed to be awesome and i've found 7 days S/C 3* accom in a Arabba on skideals.com at £209 on the 8th Jan. In the past I seem to remember stories of poor snow cover in the region, even though the resort sits at 1600m. I can go to La Thuile for similar money. Any suggestions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arabba/Dolomites are great. I was there in early January. Made it a last minute booking (having known about the poor snow record). Luckily it snowed just a few days before I had to decide on my destination. I suggest that you do the same if you want to go there, especially if it's this early in the season. I got a discounted deal with Neilson for £340pp.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ehco everything posted by snowman. They do have excellent snow making facilities in the area due to the patchy snow record. Arraba is excellent, the most challenging part of the Sella Ronda and close to Corvara which has some fantastic intermediate skiing. Could be especially cold at that time of year. If you are self catering It's not a big village and the chioce of eating out will be limited. Perhaps snowman can confirm that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Due to the topography (ski on the valley floor between cliffs) and slope exposure you ski a lot in in the shade. we had a few windy days (usually the Sella Ronda circuit is then closed). Arabba also gives access to the Marmolada which is a glacier. As Chris said Arabba is small with a few bars/restaurants. if you are after nightlife go somewhere else, but for access to the best (advanced) skiing in the Dolomites it's the best base. I am definetily going there again one day.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As for snow and run difficulty, Arabba is usually better than other places in the Dolomites, but from time to time the Dolomites do suffer of snow droughts...But this is a problem is you plan to ski off piste only. Dolomitisuperski do make extensive use of artificial snow making, a fact that assures the possibility to ski, even if not "hero" skiing. There's a black run coming down from Porta Vescovo called "surasass" (literally "on the stones")...in poor snow periods it's always closed, in good snow periods it's steep and very, very icy.
Jan 8th is just after the school holydays will be finished, so you should find an empty and quiet place (or what's left of it).
I'll go to Colfosco (touch wood), just above Corvara, on Jan 22nd (for one week)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have been to the Dolomites twice for the first week in Jan over recent years and each time there was plenty of snow.
Stephen.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy