Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Clothing suggestions for a newbie please

Poster: A snowHead
I tend to agree with skanky. Until you're reasonably confident skiing parallel, group lessons offer better benefits than private lessons.

Private instructors give undivided attention thereby identifying immediately what you need to improve.

However:

1) Unless you can afford to retain your private instructor for more than 1 hour on a particular day of your holiday, what about the rest of your week when s/he's not around to correct/encourage you!?

2) At least while you get to grips with parallel skiing, you'll be too busy ingesting new information both mentally and physically to become too bored.

3) Bear in mind that, at your level, the "perceived" slower rate of learning in groups gives your body time to adjust to the new techniques. Incidentally for sports accelerating the rate of instruction doesn't necessarily lead to more proficent ability. Your mind might be up to it, but your body often needs more time repeating all the new actions for them to become embedded in your muscle memory. A lot of what you're doing is simply accustoming your body to the new stressors of moving on snow at high altitude, separate of the technique of skiing itself.

There's also a theory that a break from learning new information actually helps speed the learning process - so while you're still getting the hang of parallel skiing, the hanging around in groups over the course of a week might actually be working better for you than a short intensive private lesson. It's a theory.

Remember, EVERYONE in the group is going to be rubbish to some extent - otherwise they wouldn't be taking the lesson!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Im not even sure what 'skiing parallel' means! All I know is that I have been
told that I do parrallel turns, though I was never taught how.....

ad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
buns, skiing parallel = your skis are parallel with each other like this for the whole of your turn. Most learners are first taught the wedge position (or snowplough), for safety and control, and then are slowly encouraged to bring the backs of their skis into a parallel position.

You would've been "taught" to do this, but probably not in a glaring fashion.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
By the way, back to the gear question, I skied a few times at Lake Louise and Sunshine and never felt cold at all, except walking around town at night in Banff. The reason is my wonderful one piece ski suit, bought in High St. Kensington 1992. I cannot understand why everyone is so against them - I think they must be jealous. I get up in the morning, pull it on over my underwear and go. If it is really cold I wear a woolly jumper underneath. And the black and purple look is pretty cool too...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
buns,
If you are feeling impoverished I would have a slightly different take on clothing.
Have you got a jacket for hillwalking? If you have this will be more than adequate for skiing. If not buy something cheap and windproof, you are unlikely to get wet skiing in Canada if it is cold, the snow will be frozen(snow). You can get wet sitting on snow eg on chairlifts Money invested in decent quality trousers is IMO better spent than in the jacket.

Likewise your hands and feet can easily get cold it is well worth buying decent quality socks and gloves. I cannot tell you where to buy them as I usually get them in resort at end of season sales. I have bought reasonable price socks in Canada in the resort and would probably advise you to do the same as they will be likelyto stock something appropriate for the climate.

As mentioned above the other important thing is decent quality thermals (No cotton)and a warm hat.

I am the last person to advise on boots as I seem to always get it wrong myself, so I wont give any advice other than to say well fitting ones will keep you warmer and more comfortable.

If I was impoverished I would also look at 2nd hand skis as this would quickly save money over renting or buying.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

By the way, back to the gear question, I skied a few times at Lake Louise and Sunshine and never felt cold at all, except walking around town at night in Banff. The reason is my wonderful one piece ski suit, bought in High St. Kensington 1992. I cannot understand why everyone is so against them - I think they must be jealous. I get up in the morning, pull it on over my underwear and go. If it is really cold I wear a woolly jumper underneath. And the black and purple look is pretty cool too...

rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes I hope that was in jest Wink snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sort of tongue-in-cheek.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey again guys,

My parents are also looking at gear..... they are middle ground type skiers, they will gradually improve but probably they are at the sort of level they will stay. For them, is it worthwhile purchasing some lower end skis?

Ad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buns, possibly, their best option would be to try some different skis in resort before buying, what suits one person may well not suit another.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
buns, ditto D G Orf re the skis. If your folks HAVE to buy something to satisfy their purchase craving, then maybe look at buying boots.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It isnt so much HAVE to satisfy a purchase craving..... rather they spend a whole shed load on hire skis and seeing the price of skis, 2 holidays of hire would cover the purchase of a cheapish set of skis..... so by the 3rd trip they would be saving money..... They both already have boots

ad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So get skis in resort where they can try them, usually the hire price of the skis will be refunded when you buy a pair also that way you only have to pay for ski carrige on the return journey
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whistler should have a decent ski school where they group you according to ability - just be honest when asked how you ski! And if you are in the wrong group then they should find the group more suited to your ability (does that make sense?) - it's quite common for group lesson to be split even with in a level, especially at the busy times of the season.
As for clothing and equipment - I'd wait until you get there since N. America does have different brands, and sales are quite common. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
- are u all being wound up folks ? rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scrumpy wrote:
- are u all being wound up folks ? rolling eyes

huh?
ski holidays
Im now just over a month away and have been doing my homework. I have planned that I am stopping over in Calgary so that I can get a load of stuff in MEC. Do MEC typically only do their own branded stuff? For general clothing I guess that is fine and it makes things quite easy. However, for some of the other bits it isnt so easy. Goggles for instance..... I want to be able to buy a pair which I can see a review on (after all they need to be good!) and have taken a fancy to Adidas Yodai..... Am I likely to be able to find another shop in Calgary (without too much running around!) who would do branded goggles/helmets etc?

thanks!

Ad

Ps. I presume buying a helmet is a good idea for the long term (even though at the moment im only a low intermed)?
ski holidays
Buns,

Did you get to Lake Louise yet? I was there in early December
ski holidays
Not yet..... 32 hours and I am on my way! It is looking very good over there right now..... Jasper first then LL, both having had almost 6 inches over the past 24 hours Wink

I am dying to get going!

Ad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy