Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gstaad Super-Ski 2007/8 ...

Poster: A snowHead
I've decided to follow my gut-feelings and spend the winter closer to the slopes. You can blame Johnyboy for spurring me into action ..

Anyway, we've taken a flat in Saanen nr Gstaad.

The Ski area is here:-

GSTAAD SUPER_SKI

About 250km of pists over 6 'Hills/Mountains'. 1000m-2600m-ish plus the glacier at Les Diablerets.

My efforts will be somewhat limited compared to others who are more able skiers and whose knees let them ski every day! However, I'll give you some photos when I can.

From front-door in mid- November.

and today ( Thanks J!!)

Anyone fancying meeting up I'll be delighted .. I dont like skiing alone and Better Half wont always be here .

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 16-12-07 21:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agenterre, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agenterre,

No problem. Just send me £5000.00 and I can be your bitch for the season
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agenterre, Very Happy I'm not jealous at all, honest wink
So how many runs did you get in today?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hate you
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agenterre, sounds great. Hope it works out well. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, similar thoughts ! Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Al... johnboy, How do you think I got to afford it in the first place ? wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agenterre,excellent news and good luck, is this your first season ? The only problem is returning to real life when you leave bubbleworld, believe me....still thats ages off now. Will you stay until the end of April ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That web site for Gstaad is nice too, like the way it zooms in on each sector on the piste map, neat
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty, Yes staying until mid-April, but a couple of other things booked as well..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How is the skiing and how are the conditions, is it easy to get around the linkd resorts in the regions
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Welcome to the Real World. Be safe!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Date : Dec 17th 2007
Weather : Light cloud am . Sunny pm. –2 C at 1000m, -14 at 2000m
Snow Coverage ; Allegedly 220cm at the top , at the bottom about 35cm
Snow Conditions : Hard and excellent, improved as the day warmed up
Area Skied : Rubelhorn and Gstaad - GSTAAD SUPER_SKI ‘’’ look for Saanen here
Distance Covered : 26km
Runs Completed OneWink ( a private joke with webfoot

Today dawned to low-ish cloud and still ridiculously cold. An excellent excuse to stay in bed.

Eventually made the slopes about 1030 and focused on the area where I’m staying. The skibus stops 30m away and its only 300m to the lift but I’m lazy .. Skibus system suits me a dream as it will take me everywhere between Saaned and Gstaad …. The train takes me everywhere else --- as the Swiss do !

I focused on the local area and it was taxing enough … I find having the whole mountain to myself a bit disturbing … who is going to find me when I have one of my regular falls ?

Pictures didn’t work properly …. Too cold for my little camera … more tomorrow .
snow report
Agenterre, not jealous at all, no siree! rolling eyes
snow report
Charlatanefc, Look on the bright side............ he gets a cheap lift pass due to being over 100 Toofy Grin
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, thanks. Just spat coffee all over my keyboard in work Wink
ski holidays
Date : Dec 18th 2007
Weather : Light cloud am . Sunny pm. –4 C at 1000m, -14 at 1600m
Snow Coverage ; Allegedly 220 at the top , at the bottom about 40cm .They’re continually running the snow caanons so more and more daily
Snow Conditions : Excellent, best day yet
Area Skied : Rubelhorn and Gstaad –again . I didn’t get out until early afternoon GSTAAD SUPER_SKI ‘’’ look for Saanen here
Distance Covered : n/r
Runs Completed OneWink ( a private joke with webfoot)
Cost of Living CHF 4 for a Diet – Coke and CHF 4-80 for a small beer ( but it is nice to have a drinks station right at the end of the last run of the day !!)

Sameo , sameo , a very clear bright day. Trying to organise Xmas present deliveries kept me indoors until after mid-day , but the good thing is being so close you can still get some skiing in.
In my hurry, I forgot to take my GPS and my camera so no photos Im afraid.

Eventually made the slopes about 1315 and stayed on the Rubeldorf – Eggli region – snow seemd a bit softer than yesterday but no reason for that. I tried out my new skis .. well-pleased with them although they kind of ask to be ‘driven’ a bit faster than I’m used to .. even ventured 30 cm off piste …. And then thought I’d got lost in the trees . I wont be doing that alone again. Most of the time was spent doing my latest ‘instructor’ exercises … I’ll get there !

By the way my season pass cost me CHF 1,000 ….. so £450 ….. bit expensive by French standards.

A brief word about Saanen. Saanen is no more than 2 km from Gstaad and although it is the ‘capital’ it has nowhere near the cache of its more illustrious neighbour. But the slopes and area are exactly the same … amazingly , given the ease of access and proximity, property and rental prices are a stratosphere apart – x2 or x3 would be my guess at the multiple.

Saanen is no more than a village , I was worried that it would have no life , but its one ‘real’ pub the ‘Saanenpub’ is a lively, homely place and the locals are very welcoming and fun --- no fur coats here thanx ! A few restaurants … and ‘very atmospheric’ Swiss shops and a very traditional building architecture make it fun but always ‘real’.

I wont be here for a week now , so more reports as of December 30th --- unless others want to post (please).
snow report
Agenterre, Sounds great, it will be interesting to hear what it will be like later in the season because I may try to pencil in a long weekend. I was struggling to locate the lifts in relation to the Gstaad train station and hotels on the web map, are they walking distance?
snow conditions
Agenterre, nice reporting - I am totally jealous of you out there Very Happy

Hope that you have a great Christmas and that you enjoy both the holiday and the skiing snowHead .

Looking forward to reading your next installment Very Happy .
snow report
Date : Dec 28th / 29th 2007
Weather : What a difference a day makes ! The 28th was beautifully sunny. – 1 at 1000m, -5 at 1600m Today was totally different – snow flurries up until 1000 hrs , then sunny , then grey all afternoon … unsure of the temps but freezing point must have been 1600m or so …..
Snow Coverage ; well we had an extra 15cm overnight so the answer is plenty !
Snow Conditions : Excellent, best day yet
Area Skied : Rubelhorn ,Gstaad and Rougemont. Yesterday, Saaanemoser , and Schonried today . We got out very early yesterday but were trady today waiting for the clouds to go GSTAAD SUPER_SKI ‘’’ look for Saanen/Saanenmoser on there
Distance Covered : 14km yesterday … same again on my back bottom today
Runs Completed OneWink ( same old private joke with webfoot)
Cost of Living My expresso cost chf 4 in Saanenmoser … cheeky cow thought she’d keep the change …. Wrong.

Yes, what a difference a day makes.

Missus – Me and I skied long and hard ( by our standards ) yesterday under bright blue skies in cold temperatures … it was as cold as Zermatt had been . The on-piste skiing was superb and the ‘Rougemont’ runs which are long were great fun … yes, there were scrapey bits but I’ve decided to just straight-line those ( when I see them!). We noticed that there were quite a few ‘out-of-control’ merchants and sitting in the bar at the bottom at the end of the day was sadly like watching a ‘skittles’ evening in Barnsley. Thankfully no injuries that we saw which is always good. Met the neighbours in the evening …. Very hospitable ( another sore head).

We knew snow was forecast , but the delight of waking up to that ‘Simon & Garfunkel – Sound of Silence’ is still awesome even if you are rather long-in-the-tooth ( well I would be long-toothed if I had any of my own)

This was 0830 in Saanen . I have no idea how much snow had really fallen .. but this is the bush outside the front door . They say it was 10cms .. you judge for yourself , they would claim a metre in Wengen Wink

We went up to Saanenmoser. Where did all those people come from ? … boarders and learners wre all in big trouble as very little pisteing had been possible. Those of who love Switzerland ( myself included) would look to France in envy for the chaos which was on-piste. So even ‘she’ decided it would be best to ski a metre outside the poles! I loved it as I had my new skis , but very wearing stopping every 1000m to see if another unfortunate was OK to get down.

I took this photo of the stream outside the house about 4 pm….

Tomorrow I may even take some photos up a mountain !

I will also tell you why Swiss transport efficiency is a myth …. Try their bus services
latest report
Looks excellent, Agenterre. I am sitting here, thinking about washing the dishwasher overload. Jealous, moi? Twisted Evil
snow report
Agenterre, Ah ... the sound of silence in fresh snow snowHead
ski holidays
Agenterre, Great stuff, looks fantastic. Now, please don't bang on about it all winter! Wink Laughing
snow conditions
Date : Dec 31st 2007
Weather : Out with the Old –oh, that I could bring in a new super-skiing style tomorrow! Back to ‘normal’ – 1 at 1000m, -14 at 1600m, although it was –12 in Rougemont at midday ( 995m!)
Snow Coverage ; [I] Still excellent. I thought I may have lost the plot so checked the Swiss national papers. We have 40/140cm … much more than most ( including Verbier and the Jungfrau)

Snow Conditions : Really hard curdurouy in the morning , softenng nicely ny lunchtime
Area Skied : Rubelhorn , Rougemont. We really focused on the Rougemont area … lovely 1400m vertical drop GSTAAD SUPER_SKI ‘’’ look for Rougemont
Distance Covered : Forgot the machine , but not as much as normal ( which is never much!) .. she enjoyed the views!
Runs Completed Last ONE this yearWink ( same old private joke with Ducky)
Cost of Living Jeez Suisse is expensive … where are those 1 euro coffees as in France and Italy?

An absolutely beautiful day with temperatures thankfully having dropped significantly producing some absolutely superb skiing.

We got up early again to beat the crowds ( hope to do the same tomorrow) and were rewarded with perfick corduruoy and empty-ish slopes although it has to be said that we did have to wait 10 minutes for the Rougemont bubble at one time.

We’ve started to really enjoy the long reds between Saanen and Rougemont the only problem being on the way there a ‘battle-zone’ exists on the red/blue ( 79 / 80 ) on the map and the black is a noo-go due to moguls ! A small price to pay for the wonderful runs and views though. My piccies for the day are from the ‘Rubli’ at the top of Rougemont ….

Where I tried my new skis …. Now tracked out !

Looking East over Gstaad to Wildhorn ( I think) et al … nasty little turn in bottom left Wink

why not ? … another view..

.... A HAPPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL FROM THE TWO OF US ...

See you in 2008 !
snow report
Man Flu strikes
Date : Jan 1st 2008
Weather : Cold and Sunny in the morning, clouding over early afternoon, but clear again by 1700 hrs.
– 4 at 1000m, -4 at 1350m
Snow Coverage ; [I] Still excellent. We still have 40/140 allegedly

Snow Conditions : Best snow conditions yet … I think the French describe it as ‘Douce’ !
Area Skied : Saanenmoser - Schonried GSTAAD SUPER_SKI ‘’’ look for Saanenmoser
Distance Covered : 18 kms ---
Runs Completed First one this yearWink
Cost of Living The going rate is chf 4 for an expresso, anyone know how to get a discount in Switzerland on medical grounds?

Despite my man-flu and a very late start , we decided that we would go up to Saanenmoser and Schonried to enjoy the ‘Sun Terraces’ as they appear to be known. This is a very apt name as the villages seem to be bathed in perpetual sunshine …as are their slopes.

A late start and loads of excuses meant that we took the train … anyone else think that Le Rubli looks like the Matterhorn?

OK. I have Zermatt-it is .. and the rail tracks at Saanen station kind of give the game away … and the trees

We had initially hoped that hangovers would mean empty slopes … but a 5 minute queue at the bubble soon dispelled that . We were howver treated to the most wonderful piste runs …. Amazingly there was still much untouched ‘powder’ off-piste as well .. I stuck to the pistes and felt sorry for myself.

This was the view from Hornfluh about 1300 hrs …. I think the valley is looking down towards Zweisiimmen … but totally unsure.

I suspect that we will get some precipitation later in the week … we don’t need any more snow and I just hope that it doesn’t transpire to be r****. Im very aware that we are very low by Swiss/French standards … perhaps the media nonsense has been getting to me too.
latest report
Agenterre, I have just discovered your thread! Wow! You are very enterprising to take a flat for the season, like Johnnyboy in VT.
Seems a new trend we should all now follow!
Hope you get better from the flu soon, and your pics are lovely. Very tempted to pay a visit to your area! Happy healthy snowy NewYear! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all this stuff from Gstaad. It makes me nostalgic. I went to school there (just after the dawn of time!)

Weems,
Aspen
snow conditions
Man Flu – Greatest Known Barrier to Male Skiing Ability aka Self-Pity is Me
Date : Jan 2nd/3rd 2008
Weather : Very Cold and Sunny in the morning yesterday, but cloudy by 1700 hrs. Today started cloudy but by 1500 hrs blue skies have returned. No wind.
– 17 at 1000m at 0700 hrs yesterday , -2 at 1500 today.
Snow Coverage ; [I] Still excellent. We still have 30/130 allegedly, but neighbours who board say that off piste is developing ‘greenery’ showing through

Snow Conditions : Don’t Know
Area Skied : No skiing todayGSTAAD SUPER-SKI
Distance Covered : Bed to Settee and back
Runs Completed Not even one …
Cost of Living Lemsip – chf 8.90

Man-flu has really taken a hold and I’ve spent the last 2 days stuck indoors - apart from a brief walk this afternoon – everything aches. I haven’t even got a ‘cute’ waitress to ogle … Wink I should be thankful for others this could happen in their eagerly awaited , well-planned single week of skiing.

Only really posting this to show the differences over very small areas in weather today. Easiski is enjoying snow in L2A , while SZK and Jonnboy are reporting the dreaded ‘Foehen’. I’ve got another still, sunny day with no wind ( at resort level) … and no new snow.

Gstaad is an amazing place …… the pre-requisites for staying here over Xmas / New Year seem to be Range Rover ownership and REAL fur coats. I keep giggling to myself the old adage ‘Fur Coat, No Knickers’ ….. given the age of some of these ladies ‘partners’ undoubtedly wearing neither while earning the former. Being a little unfair on the town as it is no more expensive than other Swiss villages / towns but it does seem to attract a ‘certain’ kind of person. Bit like Zermatt in that respect … something for everyone, never ‘totally’ exclusive.

A couple of photos from today’s forced march.

This first is looking Westwards from Saanen station towards Rougemont and Chateau d’Oex. LHS middle is Saanen airport … approach isn’t too bad but an engine loss on take-off might stir the stomach ..

The last one is from Saanen station and shows that the last snowfall is still hanging on the trees around the Eggli chairlift….

Please join me in praying for no rain over the weekend !
snow report
weems, Didn't have schools when I was born! Any particular photos/views you'd like?
latest report
Man Flu & Drizzle = Despair
Date : Jan 5th 2008
Weather : –2 all day but started dtriizzling at 4 pm.
Snow Coverage ; Lower slopes getting thin .. sweet above 1400m
Snow Conditions : Getting Worse - still 130 at top but 10-15 at bottom
Area Skied : WTF is today GSTAAD SUPER_SKI ?
Distance Covered : WTF Cares?
Runs Completed WTF – counted?
Cost of Living WTF is counting

As if Man-flu ( Or Bronchitis if you will/) wasn’t enough , it started drizzling in sub-zero ground temps this afternoon which will screw the lower slopes at the very least … and just when the chinless – blunders and their aged bags were leaving.

Miserable am I … will post again when it snows .. Crying or Very sad
wink snowHead
latest report
Awww poor fella. Get well soon.
snow conditions
Fitness Lost … will it be regained?
Date : Jan 9th 2008
Weather : Very cloudy all day with some brief snow flurries around mid-day. + 1 at 1000m, -1 at 1600m, light winds from West (??)
Snow Coverage ; [I] Sweet where it isn’t icey after the rain ravages. Everthing still open but depths are down to 30cm I would guess at top and minimal at the bottom

Snow Conditions :Variable but I’ve skied worse .. the light snow gave me some ‘ Oh S*** ‘ moments when covering ‘real’ ice
Area Skied : Gstaad-Saanen-Rougemont todayGSTAAD SUPER-SKI
Distance Covered : Forgot the machine again !
Runs Completed Errggh,,, just the one occiferr ,,honesht
Cost of Living Ran out of money .. Gluhwein – 7 chf

Having lost a week to the dreaded man-flu , I had to go out today because I’m a ‘hero’…. Actually that’s rubbish, I was bored stupid and wanted some fresh air.

I wouldn’t have skied Sunday or Monday anyways as I don’t like skiing in the rain. This was my first opportunity to see what the slopes were like after the rain. I was a little scared ; after the Thaw / Freeze even walking around yesterday was treacherous

you can see how different things look from the apartment but I was pleasantly surprised.

The slopes were less than crowded. This is the view from Eggli looking over to Schonried :-

I guess I saw no more than 40-50 other people in the 3 hours that I was out. Strangely most of these were boarders – and some of them were a bit tasty.

This meant that the snow – such as there is – is almost ‘virgin’ ; you just have to be careful and watch out for the icey bits. I found today very tiring –probably as a result of the ravages of my cold --- hope all the symptoms soon go.

As you can tell from the photos , light was very flat. This tends to slow me down to a start –stop normally but I’m so glad I bought some Alpina ‘Quatroflex’ goggles .. they really work for me … This one is a real novelty ..me taking a photo while moving .. I missed the catch-fence , honest Wink
Corduroy and scrapey bits on the Rougemont run … maybe 1300m

This next photo really shows some of the icy patches at 1000m. It’s taken from Rubeldorf looking back up the gentle Blue home …

OI YOU ! OFF MY PISTE ! (10 o’clock from hut!)

We desperately need some more snow on this area of the resort. Alas the forecast doesn’t look good with more thaw – freeze conditions for the next few days. Brilliant when its empty …. But I’ll have to go up the glacier at this rate !

I’m off out now. Jonnyboy has signed me up to his international ‘Waitress-Watch’ scheme …. Would be rude to refuse the man wouldn’t it ?

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I’m just Lucky …
Date : Jan 10th 2008
Weather : Beautiful cloudless skies… +1 at 1300m –2 at 2000m
Snow Coverage ; [I] Difficuly to say ,, I would guess at 1m at the top and a light covering at 1300m, no wind

Snow Conditions :Sensational – Hard in the morning, softening nicely … bit sugary by 2pm
Area Skied : Saanenmoser-Zweisimmen-St Stephan todayGSTAAD SUPER-SKI
Distance Covered : 23km- wow!
Runs Completed ..One ,, mmh, I carved uphill a lot
Cost of Living Didn’t stop today apart for a 4chf coffee

I am just ‘Lucky’. Have been all my life ,whenever things get bad they get even better soon afterwards. Skiing today was one of those days …Perfect Snow, perfect weather.

I couldn’t believe it this morning … Beautiful Swedish Blonde in bed with me .. then I woke up and it got better,. Blue skies … time to ski !

Being a lazy git , I took the train and did the mid-heights i.e Schonried / Saanenmoser … Frigging Awesome Dudes ( is the language right?) … wonderful snow .. few more folks around but ‘zero’ queues.

I took a few photos ,,, this is from Hornberg looking at Col du Pillon with Glacier 3000 behind .. not needed to go that high ….. yet

Next one is also from the same restaurant looking West-ish at the 400m peaks … anyone fancy building a ski resort ?

Oh and looking back at Hornberg .. people actually skiing / boarding Wink

Last two are for Jerry… taken from the train on the 1100 m plateau …. Langlauf my boy .. aye oop !

Thank Goodness I’m not in VT … bills all paid .. decent beer .. Yes , I’m just lucky ! snowHead Wink

( please send some snow !! )
snow report
Agenterre, my bunions are aching so I suggest snow in your area on Friday/Saturday/Monday/Thursday/Friday.

Is that enough or do you want some more ? snowHead
snow conditions
Smokin Joe, You'll do for me ..

PS . You're too young for bunions wink
snow report
Agenterre, Your accent's improving tha' knows, we'll have it perfected by the end of the season Wink
A couple of my running mates are off to Zell on Saturday for a week of langlauf - good for the legs apparently Very Happy
ski holidays
Smokin Joe wrote:
Agenterre, my bunions are aching so I suggest snow in your area on Friday/Saturday/Monday/Thursday/Friday.

Is that enough or do you want some more ? snowHead

Were my bunions correct ?
latest report
Agenterre, I guess the black death has passed rolling eyes wink Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy