Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Size 14 (UK) ski boots: hire

Poster: A snowHead
I am going skiing for the first time with a group of friends on 19th January to Val Thorens. I am hiring everything I need - one item being ski boots. I have UK size 14 feet and am not sure whether to anticipate this being a problem? I would appreciate any advice you can offer in pointing me to anywhere in Val Thorens that may be able to provide me with suitable boots (so that I can contact them now). I obviously don't want to turn up in January and not be able to find anything appropriate. I have had no replies from the few places I have emailed so far, so if I can direct my search a little, hopefully it will speed up the process.

If there are alternative places to hire in the UK that may be able to help (I currently live in Southampton), it would be good to know about them too.

Many thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rhammond84, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
I think you may struggle, best thing is to go onto the Val Thorens website and it will list the ski shops in resort. Phone or email your enquiry to the shops.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rhammond84, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead You are not far from Filarinskis in Havant. They have a good selection of gear to hire and it would be well worth contacting them. If they don't have your size they might be able to advise. They are also good for anything else you might need - like jacket, salopettes, etc. 02392 499 599
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both - will investigate and let you know the outcome.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had this problem last season...a friend of my son's was coming to Verbier for a weekend...aged 15 with size 14 feet!

I tried every single shop in Verbier...nothing that big. Lots of jokes along the lines of "you don't need skis with feet that big".

We found Edge2Edge in Crawley (near Gatwick). They had them that big, and offer a superb service: You turn up at the airport and go to Left Luggage where the boot bag is waiting for you. On return to Gatwick after your holiday you just drop the boots off at Left Luggage. The price was good, the boots were good. 100% good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rhammond84, welcome to the site! I have size 13 feet and it didn't even raise eyebrows. I've hired in Val Thorens too - the Intersport by the cafe toward the bottom of the ROC draglift. Not sure about the extra size though, but good luck. You could always try calling the shops in advance - if you don't speak French then the standard of English is usually good enough to get by. Remember to quote European sizes though - 50 is what you want, I think.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to update everyone on my progress. I contacted pretty much all the shops listed on the Val Thorens website and received quite a few replies back, all saying it wouldn't be a problem (and most had up to UK size 15). In the end, Valthosport seemed the most accommodating, saying they had 2 kinds of boots in my size - Head Edge (for narrow feet) and Salomon Performa for wider feet. I've reserved the Salomon Performa via their website, but it doesn't look like I'll have any problems when I get out there.

Thanks all for your help.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rhammond84, you've done the right thing in booking the boots in advance, I wish I did before going to Kitzbuhel 5 years ago! I have the opposite problem, I seem to be of a size that is all too common these days, UK size 11! Shocked

Thats why I bought my own pair the following year!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
what's the ski boot size number you need? I have a pair that was sold to me that were bigger than i should have had (should have learnt better french before i decided to go shopping i guess), only if they match and you want then then they are yours. you'd just have to pick them up from me....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Salomon Performa for wider feet.

That's worrying. I have narrow feet and Salomon Performa boots.

Anybody know if this is true or not?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rhammond84, krekeg, I have wide feet and just bought a pair of Head Edge+ 10s (ladies). Previously I was sold a pair of Salomon Irony 7 CF (newer than the performa's I think) and they were too narrow. I guess CEM or SZK could confirm for the both of you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi people,

Thread is similar to my query so I'm just going to tag onto it. I am planning to do Skiing(for first time) in New Zealand this year for a couple of months. Probably a good idea to get some lessons before I go.

I have size 13 (UK) feet so that means I need size 14 ski boots right? Which according to this chart http://www.evogear.com/info/helpcenter/162.aspx is Mondopoint 33.

Questions:

Is this boot size available for hire at centres near me (trafford centre manchester new one/xscape castleford)?

Easy to hire this size in NZ?

What size Ski's do I need, I'm 6"4 and 87kg/13stone?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimicky, welcome to the site! You don't usually "add one" like you do with ice-skating boots. For hire boots, stick with the usual size and see how they fit. If you get bitten by the bug you may find that you have a smaller-than-usual size, as I did - normally I take 13's, but my (expertly!) fitted boots are a 12.5.

I haven't been to Chill Factore or Xscape Castleford, but I got a pair of hire 13's at Xscape MK no problem.

For ski length, you probably want something to your shoulder height for starters - probably a 175cm? Something around that level I'd say. I'm 6' 8" and have skiied on 177-185.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rhammond84, How did your trip go? hope you enjoyed yourself.
Friend of mine has a UK size 15, did Valthosport do a UK 15 as you thought?

Thanks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Delsdubz wrote:
@rhammond84, How did your trip go? hope you enjoyed yourself.
Friend of mine has a UK size 15, did Valthosport do a UK 15 as you thought?

Thanks

Original post was 9 years ago - Dec 2007 !!
ski holidays
Opps.. should have gone to specsavers Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy