Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets: Crash tests

Poster: A snowHead
If there are still some people interested in buying a helmet (after the recent thread here) I found this link hiding in my Favourites SKI folder. ConsumerReports is the US equivalent to Which? Magazine.

Just shows that fit is very important but useless if the helmet is crap.
the test is dated 12/03.

Helmet Test

hope this helps.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Snowman As an owner of a Giro Nine.9 I am reassured to see its the best of their bunch. I can confirm it is extremely light and comfortable.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I see they didn't review my beanie - slackers Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, but have you got a chin guard for the ultimate in street cred ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm also glad that Deb & I have Giro 9's. Thanks to WTFH & to all the other snowHeads who recommended them to me at the time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's what it looks like.

Snow+Rock have it for £99.95, which is a great deal more than I paid for a good cycle helmet, but there we go. The cycle industry seems to assume modest wealth. The ski industry assumes otherwise!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does anyone have any compelling evidence that helmets are a good idea - outside reasonably logical arenas such as racing, boarding, snow parks and glades?

There's a pretty divided opinion on the sense of cycling helmets and I would suggest the same arguments apply to skiing...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
porker964 wrote:
Does anyone have any compelling evidence that helmets are a good idea - outside reasonably logical arenas such as racing, boarding, snow parks and glades?.....

See discussion in this thread.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I spray a helmet orange, will it affect performance?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
masopa wrote:
If I spray a helmet orange, will it affect performance?

If your query is a serious one (as opposed to whether it will make you go faster Toofy Grin ) I would advise caution. Many plastic safety helmets (not just ski helmets, but motorcycle helmets, industrial hard hats etc) recommend not applying paints, as the solvents in the paint can adversely affect the material properties (i.e impact resistance) of the helmet. The same could conceivably apply to the adhesive used on any stickers etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for that Alastair - it was actually a (semi) serious question. Grey is not an option, so looks like I'll have to get my hands on a black one...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would suggest that warnings into the effect of standard type solvents upon safety helmets are way overstated. The effect is likely to stretch no further than the surface..... It would be incredibly unlikely that any solvent managed to alter the bulk material properties. So unless the helmet was heavily reliant upon the surface coating, you would probably not alter its protective ability. However, were you to have a nasty accident and the helmet failed, then you would have a nightmare arguing that it wasnt the fault of your 'modification'. So in that last statement lies the truth..... It is a get out of jail free card for the maker, should the situation arise.

Ad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some glues and solvents can cause a catalytic reaction that can (particularly with assistance from UV light) fundamentally changes the molecular structure of the polymers from long chain to short/crystalline. This is now very rare but it could turn your helmet into an expensive egg-shell. There is a reason that helmets are coloured as they are and it’s not just bad fashion sense.
If you know what you’re applying and what you’re applying it on, you can paint just about anything.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can someone please tell me the 'actual' difference between a ski helmet and a BMX helmet(apart from the fact that one is 3 times the price of the other and they are a slightly different shape).This stems from the fact that my son will only wear a ski helmet under protest;but BMX,no problem Confused I've looked into this.Found lots of impact info etc but,obviously,no actual way of comparing one to the other.Common sense tells me that a modern,top end BMX helmet 'should' be every bit as good as a ski,but is that the case.There is no doubt,in my mind,that BMX's face a very high risk of head impact,far higher than yer average recreational skier?Plus,and I'm 99% sure of this;I'm sure I've seen park/rail skiers on Extreme Sports wearing BMX style helmets Puzzled Have I got it wrong.
Food for thought.A quality ski helmet is around £90.BMX around £30.Why????????
ski holidays
GREED!
a 'signature' motorbike helmet can cost you the better part od 300/500 (£/€)! Cost at the factory gate? about 15/25, not a bad margin.
However skiers can achieve much higher speed and impact vector than BMX riders so the forces will be greater. I don't have the research to hand but the main difference is the forces involved in the impact. That's not to say we're not being screwed by the manufacturer.
Wait till you find out how much you can buy a pair of skis for in china (where most are made)!
snow report
Masque-sure you have a good point about speed and impact forces,and equally sure thats applicable for racers,GS etc.But I'm talking recreational.Yes,we all get a lick on from time to time,but so do the bike boys.Some of us are mad enough to ride rails,ramps,pipes etc;so are they.Is the impact from the piste any greater than a dirt ramp?Having smacked a few,I know it isn't Crying or Very sad And what of the road racers.I seriously doubt if there are many here who consistantly travel at their speeds.
So-what can we conclude from all this? No doubt,we are being ripped.Agree with Mr Goldsmith re wealth perception.Does a BMX style helmet offer poor protection?Personally I doubt it.Insurance problems;well no policy I've seen insists on them.Within reason,anything is better than nothing?
Thoughts anyone.
ski holidays
OOOH let's get into insurance . . . puleeze . . . those ars*****s will use ANY reasoning to avoid payment. Nothing better than a non-sport specific protection aid for a start. Pretty much any sporting headgear will protect your gourd better than a beanie, but what's going to protect you from legal beancounters?
Time for some common standards?
Not with GWButtplug in Pen Ave. and his tort reform programme!
snow report
the cost of ski helmets is actually pretty similar to cycle helmets. with cycle helmets, you pay a premium for the comfort and for the number and design of ventilation holes (and for the latest design and colour, as with anything). A top end cycle helmet can easily cost £80-£100 rrp. So there is not much difference between that and skiing.

snowskisnow, I am surprosed that your son will not wear a ski helmet - I thought that they were now de rigeur for people wanting to look like the real thing (impressionable and image conscious youngsters in particular)
snow report
Does that make me a youngster then? Little Angel
snow conditions
I have been convinced into a helmet inspite of my being a beginner..... so was trying to get a giro helmet.... Cant say i would recommend their service! One supposed distributor in the UK whose site has no information about giro and who seem rather clueless on the other end of the phone....

ad
ski holidays
buns, I suspect the service is due to the distributor and not Giro themselves have you tried Giro Helmets
. Just bought a Giro nine.9 this year. Having tried numerous makes they were the most comfortable. When you buy a helmet make sure you try them on to be sure of the fit. I found some XL helmets were only as big as a large in another brand. If you haven't got shops near you wait until your in resort you will get a better range to choose from, if you off to America or Canada they will be cheaper too
snow report
I went through the Giro website since there is no UK contact for Giro directly..... I wanted to go and try one on but it seems like that isnt going to be possible..... so looks like as good as Giro may be, they have lost a sale

Ad
ski holidays
Buns,
Got my Giro 9 from Snow+Rock, £99 + you can get a hemet pod to carry it/protect it (I know its supposed to protect you!) when going on your hols. Was in two minds whether to get a helmet but on this weekend break to ValCenis I've just got back from today helmet came into its own, was really warm even when it was something like -29 !!! on top of a mountain, saved me when I missed drag pole and the next one for some reason came flying at me and wacked on the side of the head ! + was greatful for protection when I face planted on a run and rolled over 3/4 times! Well worth it I funnily enough think now ! Embarassed
latest report
I bought my Giro Nine.9 at Tamworth snowdome. I think the shop is Ellis Brigham. It was £90 I think - cheaper than Snow and Rock. The shop had a few differerent ones to choose from. I chose the Giro Nine.9 in the end because it fitted the best and because of this thread!
snow conditions
If you're passing Switzerland try CP-Helmets they're way cheaper than Giro and meet the same or better standards. Fairly new though so not widely available outside Switzerland.
latest report
ise, is there a pretty good chance they will be available in Verbier? Have you tried one yourself?
snow report
Type23 wrote:
Buns,
Got my Giro 9 from Snow+Rock, £99 + you can get a hemet pod to carry it/protect it (I know its supposed to protect you!) when going on your hols. Was in two minds whether to get a helmet but on this weekend break to ValCenis I've just got back from today helmet came into its own, was really warm even when it was something like -29 !!! on top of a mountain, saved me when I missed drag pole and the next one for some reason came flying at me and wacked on the side of the head ! + was greatful for protection when I face planted on a run and rolled over 3/4 times! Well worth it I funnily enough think now ! Embarassed

Had you tried on a helmet before you ordered? Everyone is advising me I have to try one on before i buy it....

ad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nick Zotov wrote:
ise, is there a pretty good chance they will be available in Verbier? Have you tried one yourself?

Should be, they seem to be in every sports shop this season. I've got a greyhound and Mrs Ise has a Fizz, so far after 12 days or so of use I'm really happy with mine.
latest report
Ellis Brigham Giro9 £90.00 in black or silver.
latest report
buns wrote:
Had you tried on a helmet before you ordered? Everyone is advising me I have to try one on before i buy it....
ad

It's 100% essential to try it on. Comfort and how cool you might look or not aren't the point. A helmet that doesn't fit is dangerous.
snow conditions
ise wrote:
buns wrote:
ad

It's 100% essential to try it on. Comfort and how cool you might look or not aren't the point. A helmet that doesn't fit is dangerous.

Guess I'lll have to just cross my fingers that someone in calgary has one (the ones mentioned on the giro site all claim not to stock giro Sad )

ad
snow conditions
buns, Didn't realise you were going to Canada. Helmets seem to be more widely worn in North America, I'm sure you'll find something you like even if it's not a Giro. Make a note of the standards you expect it to conform to and you'll be away.

I'd recommend not paying in Northen Ireland currency though, it's not widely accepted right now Very Happy
snow report
ise, Laughing
latest report
[quote="buns"]
ise wrote:

Guess I'lll have to just cross my fingers that someone in calgary has one (the ones mentioned on the giro site all claim not to stock giro Sad )

ad

Most ski shops in Canada (wellm Banff, actually - I don't know about anywhere else) carry a decent range of helmets, including Giro.
latest report
Just to emphasise what ise has already stated.You MUST try these helmets on.Sorted myself,and son,out today at Lockwoods.I 'thought' I wanted a Giro9,until I tried one on!Terrible fit,along with the Fuse and SST.Simply,my head is the wrong shape for Giro helmets.Son had same experience.He really,really wanted a 'Bad Lieutenant' camo.No good,fit all wrong for head shape.
We both ended up with race helmets,Salomon for him & Scott for me.And very comfy they are too.Having gone through the exercise we both now feel that the 'wrap around' style of helmet suits us better.They are certainly a snugger fit than the 'on top of the head' Giro style.And,they are cheaper Confused Two helmets for the price of one Giro;sorted snowHead

PS.Anyone looking for Giro's,Lockwoods seem to have plenty.Based in Leamington Spa, Tel 01926 339388.Nice shop and people.
snow report
I have discovered some of the Giro confusion is down to a recent (as yet not mentioned on their website) change to distribution. So anyone wanting to know, the distributor is now bigbear.co.uk

Ad
latest report
buns,
In answer to your earlier question, yes I did try it on. Went into Snow+Rock Covent Garden store.

Rich
snow report
I went through the entire stock (grant you it was not the most exhorstive range and came down to OVO AWOL Helmet. Though I have not put it through its paces so to speak (ie fallen on my head) it fits and I am happy with it. (funnily enough my father brought the exact same helmet a few weeks ago, though thankfully his is remaining over in the US as he already has one over in Europe.)
snow conditions
ise wrote:
Nick Zotov wrote:

Should be, they seem to be in every sports shop this season. I've got a greyhound and Mrs Ise has a Fizz, so far after 12 days or so of use I'm really happy with mine.

Thanks, I'll drop by a shop ou there, and have a think about one. Happy Christmas to you snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy